Number of Federations

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
MJMcCready

Number of Federations

Post by MJMcCready » Thu Aug 03, 2023 10:47 am

Whilst at the chessfest in Trafalgar square a few weeks back, someone got on stage to talk about the benefits of chess. He began by saying that chess is played all around the world and that in terms of sports and games, the only governing body with more members around the world was FIFA. FIDE was second but he didn't say exactly how many countries around the world are members of FIDE. Does anyone know the actual number? I couldn't find it on their website and I am curious to know how the guy speaking actually knew this.
Last edited by MJMcCready on Sat Aug 05, 2023 10:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

ThomasEvans

Re: Number of Federations

Post by ThomasEvans » Thu Aug 03, 2023 12:16 pm

There's a full directory here, but you'll have to do some counting: https://fide.com/directory/member-federations
There are a few traps in there - for example Isle of Man are not a federation, but an affiliated organisation.

Wikipedia also has a list, but it's Wikipedia, so might not be terribly accurate: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geography ... DE_members

MJMcCready

Post by MJMcCready » Thu Aug 03, 2023 6:24 pm

okay thanks, more than anything I can curious to know where the guy speaking got his stats from.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Thu Aug 03, 2023 6:51 pm

MJMcCready wrote:
Thu Aug 03, 2023 6:24 pm
more than anything I can curious to know where the guy speaking got his stats from.
FIDE probably. Every time there's an election the eligible voters are listed and whether there's a proxy. It's more a case of listing the countries that aren't members. FIDE are trying to get them to join as you may see in periodic Nigel Short articles and interviews.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Fri Aug 04, 2023 9:35 am

According to https://www.fide.com/news/2556, the count will soon reach 200.
There are exciting developments in FIDE membership. The Council approved the New Caledonia Chess Federation as an Affiliated Organization and welcomed the Tonga Chess Federation as the newest member of FIDE. These additions signify a historic milestone, as FIDE will reach the inspiring mark of 200 member federations by the end of 2023, pending General Assembly approval.

Matt Mackenzie

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Fri Aug 04, 2023 4:32 pm

Wikipedia has Belize as a former member that isn't in FIDE any more - anyone know the story behind that?
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)

MJMcCready

Post by MJMcCready » Fri Aug 04, 2023 8:14 pm

I would be curious to know also.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Fri Aug 04, 2023 10:31 pm

Matt Mackenzie wrote:
Fri Aug 04, 2023 4:32 pm
Wikipedia has Belize as a former member that isn't in FIDE any more - anyone know the story behind that?
Yes, this was hilarious. It all happened at the 2021 General Assembly.

phttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UVC3YPzQKQg

Go to 2:01 and you will see the FIDE President stating that of four new applications for FIDE membership, three looked good but one, from Belize, was deficient in some ways which caused FIDE Council to recommend that its consideration be deferred.

Voting and counting took over an hour, during which voters were twice reminded that they were being asked to vote no. However, many voters were confused ( plus some who may have deliberately supported the application despite its issues ) and at 3:09 you will see the President announcing with some puzzlement that it got through.

The minutes did not appear for some months and I did not notice them at the time.

https://doc.fide.com/docs/DOC/2021_GA_Minutes.

3.1 includes

"3.1.1 The St. Vincent and the Grenadines Chess Federation applied to become a member
federation of FIDE
The General Assembly approves the St. Vincent and the Grenadines Chess Federation
as a new member federation of FIDE.

3.1.2 The Niger Chess Federation applied to become a member federation of FIDE
The General Assembly approves the Niger Chess Federation as a new member federation of FIDE.

3.1.3 The Belize Chess Federation applied to become a member federation of FIDE
The General Assembly approves the Niger Chess Federation as a new member federation of FIDE.

3.1.4 The Dominica Chess Federation applied to become a member federation of FIDE
The General Assembly approves the Dominica Chess Federation as a new member federation of FIDE."

You may have to read this twice, as I did, but it will still say the same thing. The result of the Belize vote was that Niger was approved for a second time!

Nonetheless, Belize did become, and is, a member.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.