Simpsons in the Strand

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Angus French

Simpsons in the Strand

Post by Angus French » Fri Jul 14, 2023 7:32 pm

Simpsons in the Strand has strong chess connections - it's been a chess venue and many famous players, particularly those prominent in the 19th Century, have played there. It has chess memorabilia and its frontage is chess-themed.

But, it closed at the start of the Covid pandemic and hasn't reopened.

And today I've seen there will be an auction of items from the venue and wondered if it will include chess items - and also, of course, what will happen to the venue?

Ian Thompson

Re: Simpsons in the Strand

Post by Ian Thompson » Fri Jul 14, 2023 8:15 pm

Angus French wrote:
Fri Jul 14, 2023 7:32 pm
And today I've seen there will be an auction of items from the venue and wondered if it will include chess items?
Yes, but not many.

Joey Stewart

Post by Joey Stewart » Sat Jul 15, 2023 12:15 am

I seem to recall that you used to be able to win a meal here for some sort of chess themed competition (possibly the times chess puzzles?)
Looks like they at least have bids on many of the chess themed items but as I have never been to the restaurant before I'm not sure if this actually represents the full extent of their collection or just what the valuation people thought was worth bothering to put into auction?
Lose one queen and it is a disaster, Lose 1000 queens and it is just a statistic.

Paul Habershon

Re: Simpson's in the Strand

Post by Paul Habershon » Sat Jul 15, 2023 8:18 am

Angus French wrote:
Fri Jul 14, 2023 7:32 pm
Simpsons in the Strand has strong chess connections - it's been a chess venue and many famous players, particularly those prominent in the 19th Century, have played there. It has chess memorabilia and its frontage is chess-themed.

But, it closed at the start of the Covid pandemic and hasn't reopened.

And today I've seen there will be an auction of items from the venue and wondered if it will include chess items - and also, of course, what will happen to the venue?
A bit of digging reveals https://www.simpsonsinthestrand.co.uk/n ... the-making
and another site says Simpson's, temporarily closed, will reopen in 2024. Connection with The Savoy.

Among the auction items I didn't see the chessboard, or whatever, signed controversially by an English GM in company with greats from the past.

Incidentally, how could I have compressed the above link into, for example, the word 'this'?

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Sat Jul 15, 2023 9:40 am

Hi Paul, you mean like this?

If you click on the 10th icon from the left above the window in full preview, which looks a bit like 2 links in a chain, you get "Insert URL" which comes up as { url= ] [ ]

You then copy the link and insert it after the = but before the ]

You then type "this" after the first ] but before the second [ i.e. in the gap

I'd imagine someone else can explain this better than me!
Any postings on here represent my personal views

John Clarke

Post by John Clarke » Sat Jul 15, 2023 10:26 pm

Joey Stewart wrote:
Sat Jul 15, 2023 12:15 am
I seem to recall that you used to be able to win a meal here for some sort of chess themed competition (possibly the times chess puzzles?)
That was for being first out of the hat with the correct answer to the Spectator chess puzzle. I forget how long ago, but it was on offer every week for some time, not just a one-off or an occasional. The full prize was dinner at Simpson's with Raymond Keene OBE and a game of chess afterwards (with, one would hope, some worthwhile analysis and tips on improving one's play).
"The chess-board is the world ..... the player on the other side is hidden from us ..... he never overlooks a mistake, or makes the smallest allowance for ignorance."
(He doesn't let you resign and start again, either.)

Angus French

Post by Angus French » Sat Jul 15, 2023 11:01 pm

John Clarke wrote:
Sat Jul 15, 2023 10:26 pm
Joey Stewart wrote:
Sat Jul 15, 2023 12:15 am
That was for being first out of the hat with the correct answer to the Spectator chess puzzle. I forget how long ago, but it was on offer every week for some time, not just a one-off or an occasional. The full prize was dinner at Simpson's with Raymond Keene OBE and a game of chess afterwards (with, one would hope, some worthwhile analysis and tips on improving one's play).
Am curious to know when this was. Did any reader of this forum - or anyone known to a reader of this forum - win a dinner with Ray at Simpson's?

Paul Cooksey

Post by Paul Cooksey » Sun Jul 16, 2023 11:19 am

I imagine a person with as well connected as Ray found himself in the lucky position that one of his many friends won the competition and joined him for lunch most weeks.

Roger Lancaster

Post by Roger Lancaster » Sun Jul 16, 2023 11:32 am

It's an extensive catalogue, including items such as tables, chairs and cutlery which one might assume to be essential if a restaurant is to reopen. Either (a) it's planned to reopen with modern, and presumably less expensive, accessories or (b) this is, in all but name, a closing-down sale.

David Shepherd

Re: Simpson's in the Strand

Post by David Shepherd » Sun Jul 16, 2023 12:13 pm

Paul Habershon wrote:
Sat Jul 15, 2023 8:18 am

Among the auction items I didn't see the chessboard, or whatever, signed controversially by an English GM in company with greats from the past.
The link given by Ian seems different to this list e.g. lot 54 https://img1.wsimg.com/blobby/go/5e1d9d ... 9345358054 (download from view catalogue on main page).

Paul Heaton

Post by Paul Heaton » Sun Jul 16, 2023 2:30 pm

The link is just a subset, filtered to show the chess related items, I’m pretty sure. The catalogue below is the full set. But the really good chess related items are not listed. Whether they are retained or being offered privately, who knows. I recall chatting to the Spectator chess columnist (as he was then) on the red couch, though that was at the Staunton Memorial Dinner in 2010(?), versus being a Spectator prize winner.

Simpsons closed during Covid in 2020 and never reopened (despite several protestations from the Savoy management it was imminent).
David Shepherd wrote:
Sun Jul 16, 2023 12:13 pm

The link given by Ian seems different to this list e.g. lot 54 https://img1.wsimg.com/blobby/go/5e1d9d ... pdf?ver=<a href="tel:1689345358054">1689345358054</a> (download from view catalogue on main page).

Ian Thompson

Post by Ian Thompson » Sun Jul 16, 2023 7:31 pm

Paul Heaton wrote:
Sun Jul 16, 2023 2:30 pm
David Shepherd wrote:
Sun Jul 16, 2023 12:13 pm
The link given by Ian seems different to this list e.g. lot 54 https://img1.wsimg.com/blobby/go/5e1d9d ... pdf?ver=<a href="tel:1689345358054">1689345358054</a> (download from view catalogue on main page).
The link is just a subset, filtered to show the chess related items, I’m pretty sure.
The list I provided was filtered for items containing the word chess. If you look at the unfiltered list lot 54 is missing, so the downloadable catalogue is different from what's listed on the website.