Tennison gambit

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Francesco Santelli

Tennison gambit

Post by Francesco Santelli » Tue Jun 20, 2023 1:39 pm

I wonder whether there is anybody that can explain what Otto M. Tennison intended or alluded to when proposing to name his gambit “Black Rook’s Gambit”. Thanks for your attention. All the best, Francesco

Matt Mackenzie

Re: Tennison gambit

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Tue Jun 20, 2023 3:16 pm

For those who don't know, the opening in question goes 1 Nf3 d5 2 e4 - or alternately 1 e4 d5 2 Nf3.

International News section, though? :?:
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Tue Jun 20, 2023 4:05 pm

Matt Mackenzie wrote:
Tue Jun 20, 2023 3:16 pm
International News section, though? :?:
Not now.
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Jon D'Souza-Eva

Post by Jon D'Souza-Eva » Tue Jun 20, 2023 7:03 pm

This is the game included in Otto Tennison's letter to the Chess Editor of the Times-Democrat (New Orleans) newspaper in 1891:

See https://imgbox.com/nZc6Osbl

Of course none of this actually explains what "Black Rook's Gambit" alludes to!
Last edited by Jon D'Souza-Eva on Wed Jun 21, 2023 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Paul Cooksey

Post by Paul Cooksey » Wed Jun 21, 2023 1:18 pm

I try not to criticise the standard of play of games in the chess history section, because I know that is not the point.

But since this is in general chat...good grief, I think that is amongst the worst games I have ever seen.

Geoff Chandler

Post by Geoff Chandler » Wed Jun 21, 2023 4:50 pm

I was reading Otto's page at chessgames.com; https://www.chessgames.com/perl/chessplayer?pid=99715

He fought for both the Union and the Confederates in the Civil War and at one time was under sentence of death. Doubt we will ever find out why he called it the Black Rook Gambit.

Here instead of 6..Kd7 Black play 6...g6 7.Qxg6+ Rf7

That is a unique Black Rook! (I cannot recall a Rook doing that before.)

I googled 'Black Rook + chess' and found a Chess Rook Puzzle. You have to open it and find the coin.

https://cruxpuzzles.co.uk/product/chess ... zle-black/

Jon D'Souza-Eva

Post by Jon D'Souza-Eva » Wed Jun 21, 2023 5:55 pm

Geoff Chandler wrote:
Wed Jun 21, 2023 4:50 pm
I googled 'Black Rook + chess' and found a Chess Rook Puzzle. You have to open it and find the coin.
https://cruxpuzzles.co.uk/product/chess ... zle-black/
Never mind about the hidden coin, if I bought that puzzle I'd be more concerned about the lost £25.95.

I thought the Tennison game was OK and I've seen many far worse, though that's perhaps not unrelated to the number of times I've been the controller of the bottom section of a tournament.

Matt Mackenzie

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Wed Jun 21, 2023 6:09 pm

Was a bit surprised Black resigned that early tbh, they *are* lost but I suspect most would have made White play it out for a few more moves.
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Wed Jun 21, 2023 6:29 pm

Geoff Chandler wrote:
Wed Jun 21, 2023 4:50 pm
That is a unique Black Rook! (I cannot recall a Rook doing that before.)
You may have miised Danny Gormally v Simon Williams from the 2006 EU Championship in Liverpool.

Nick Ivell

Post by Nick Ivell » Wed Jun 21, 2023 7:57 pm

What a game. No wonder Danny describes the mid Noughties as his golden period.

Geoff Chandler

Post by Geoff Chandler » Thu Jun 22, 2023 10:41 am

Roger de Coverly wrote:
Wed Jun 21, 2023 6:29 pm
You may have miised Danny Gormally v Simon Williams from the 2006 EU Championship in Liverpool.
A good spot Roger, yes the Rook on f7 in the Schoolboy pattern.

The Black Rook.
This is a very big if...Maybe it was a topical play on words referring to a musical 'The Black Crook' which was famous (or infamous ) around about then due to the fact it had 'Beautiful bare-legged girls...' and a review suggesting due to the indecency of the costumes and dancing it should have been called 'Sodom and Gomorrah' (I hope they run this one at the coming Edinburgh Festival.)

Mark Twain liked it, Dickens not so, but it was famous.'Both awe and outrage fueled the show's increasing popularity until "nobody could hold his own in conversation unless he had seen it" state it's own wiki-page https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Black_Crook
The follow up play was called, and I'm not making thus up; The White Fawn

Of course I'm most likely way off but a good thread. Finding about Tennison and the Civil War and The Black Crook.

It also brought back memories of gaffe No.607 (I keep a count of these things.) I once added a note to a dubious pawn sacrifice. 'I fired a pawn into the air...where it landed I know not where.' and then cited an apology to Tennyson. Only to be told a few days later that it was Longfellow.