Page 1 of 1

Congratulations to Kevin

Posted: Sat Apr 08, 2023 12:38 pm
by Simon Rogers
This was posted on Wenesday 22nd March 2023 on the Home page of the English Federation for Correspondence Chess
"The player Kevin J. Thurlow with ICCF ID 210507 has achieved enough norms to receive the title of ICCF Correspondence Chess Master. Congratulations."

Re: Congratulations to Kevin

Posted: Sat Apr 08, 2023 12:45 pm
by John Upham
Congratulations indeed and we know that Kevin is also a strong OTB player.

Here is the current list of ENG ICCF GMs:


ICCF ID Name Country Title Year
210139 Barnsley, Tony ENG GM 2009
210425 Brookes, John G. ENG GM 2001
210408 Brooks, Ian S. ENG GM 2002
210011 Clarke, Peter Hugh ENG GM 1980
211303 Coleman, Peter L. ENG GM 2004
210773 Hall, Richard V. M. ENG GM 2002
210029 Hollis, Adrian Swayne ENG GM 1976
210448 Johnson, Maurice W. ENG GM 1995
210048 Markland, Peter Richard ENG GM 1984
210933 Millican, Peter J. R. ENG GM 1996
210060 Penrose, Jonathan ENG GM 1983
210180 Povah, Nigel Edward ENG GM 1989
210177 Prizant, Michael ENG GM 1995
211431 Pugh, John ENG GM 2006
210062 Richardson, Keith Bevin ENG GM 1975
211305 Robson, Nigel ENG GM 2011
210178 Webb, Simon ENG GM 1983


I note that some of the more recent title holders may not be as well known to us in OTB playing strength terms as those who gained their title pre analysis engine days. I cannot claim to be an expert on this aspect.

Further ENG titles may be obtained from

https://www.iccf.com/Titles.aspx

Re: Congratulations to Kevin

Posted: Sat Apr 08, 2023 1:19 pm
by Roger Lancaster
John Upham wrote: ↑
Sat Apr 08, 2023 12:45 pm

Here is the current list of ENG ICCF GMs ............
Current = "existing at the present time" which, alas, several of those named no longer do.

Re: Congratulations to Kevin

Posted: Sat Apr 08, 2023 1:38 pm
by John Upham
Roger Lancaster wrote: ↑
Sat Apr 08, 2023 1:19 pm
John Upham wrote: ↑
Sat Apr 08, 2023 12:45 pm

Here is the current list of ENG ICCF GMs ............
Current = "existing at the present time" which, alas, several of those named no longer do.
Had I written "List of Current GMs" then your comment would have been more apposite.

However, is it a Current list from the ICCF web site that includes players some of whom are deceased, some of unknown status and the rest are living.

Re: Congratulations to Kevin

Posted: Sat Apr 08, 2023 1:39 pm
by John Upham
John Upham wrote: ↑
Sat Apr 08, 2023 1:38 pm
Roger Lancaster wrote: ↑
Sat Apr 08, 2023 1:19 pm
John Upham wrote: ↑
Sat Apr 08, 2023 12:45 pm

Here is the current list of ENG ICCF GMs ............
Current = "existing at the present time" which, alas, several of those named no longer do.
Had I written "List of Current GMs" then your comment would have been more apposite.

However, is it a Current list from the ICCF web site that includes players some of whom are deceased, some of unknown status and the rest are living.
For clarity, the list is existing at the current time however much you may disagree with its content.

Re: Congratulations to Kevin

Posted: Sat Apr 08, 2023 3:01 pm
by Kevin Thurlow
Thanks! Having got the CC Expert title in two consecutive events, I was pleased to get CCM in the next two norm events. ICCF do not muck about as I only got the second and final norm on 27th March, and they emailed me the certificate a few days ago. If I win the last game in that event (which is extremely unlikely), I will get an IM norm, and I rather doubt you can get two norms in one event.

ICCF have always included "inactive" players in their rating list, which does cause confusion. Oddly, I have played Richard Hall and Peter Coleman at CC, but have played Mike Prizant, Nigel Povah (many times), Keith Richardson and Simon Webb OTB only. (Edit - I've played Peter OTB also).

If anyone cares, here are the crosstables

https://www.iccf.com/event?id=98616

https://www.iccf.com/event?id=95632

Re: Congratulations to Kevin

Posted: Sat Apr 08, 2023 8:54 pm
by David Sedgwick
Simon Rogers wrote: ↑
Sat Apr 08, 2023 12:38 pm
This was posted on Wenesday 22nd March 2023 on the Home page of the English Federation for Correspondence Chess
"The player Kevin J. Thurlow with ICCF ID 210507 has achieved enough norms to receive the title of ICCF Correspondence Chess Master. Congratulations."
I would like to add my congratulations to Kevin.

Re: Congratulations to Kevin

Posted: Sat Apr 08, 2023 9:23 pm
by Ronnie Burton
Well done Kevin