Chess Player needed to open Cafe

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Kevin Thurlow

Re: Chess Player needed to open Cafe

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Sun Jun 11, 2023 8:35 am

"Worth sending the pix with a short write-up to Chess mag, I would have thought"

And ECF.

Chris Rice

Post by Chris Rice » Sun Jun 11, 2023 10:41 am

Tim Spanton wrote:
Sun Jun 11, 2023 8:06 am
Chris Rice wrote:
Sun Jun 11, 2023 12:19 am
Thanks to everyone who contributed to this thread. With the various contacts that were suggested the Riverside Cafe had a trial chess event with a local Gloucester player taking on all comers for a couple of hours just to see if it would work.

The format was five minute blitz games and the more money the customer donated to the Red Cross the more time he/she was given on the clock with the Gloucester player getting less time and there were prizes if the customer won. £41 was raised in a very short time and the owner, Robert, was so pleased he's going ahead with an official opening of the café on Sunday August 6th where chess will be centre stage all day. Every chess player who lives in the Tewkesbury area, or really anyone who just fancies a game or wishes to donate to the Red Cross will be very welcome.

I'll update on the event as we get nearer to it and as I intend to be there myself hopefully I'll get some photos to put on the forum. Once again thanks to everyone who wanted to help, you succeeded in turning a passing thought of a cafe owner into a reality.
Worth sending the pix with a short write-up to Chess mag, I would have thought
Kevin Thurlow wrote:
Sun Jun 11, 2023 8:35 am
"Worth sending the pix with a short write-up to Chess mag, I would have thought"

And ECF.
Thanks Tim and Kevin, will do.

Chris Rice

Post by Chris Rice » Sun Aug 06, 2023 7:27 am

OK the weather looks fine today so we're going ahead with the simul at the Riverside Cafe in Tewkesbury, Gloucs from 11am - 4pm and everyone is welcome. Two local players will be doing the simul, Mike Ashworth and Andy Horton and here is a message from Mike:

"Hi all

On Sunday 6 August, International Master Andy Horton and I will be playing against all comers in a charity chess event at the Riverside Café in Tewkesbury, for the British Red Cross.

The event will run from 11am until 4pm. The basic time limit will be a 5-minute each blitz game, for a donation of £3, with the opportunity to buy extra time on the clock to increase the chance of victory!

I have attached to this email the poster for the event, as well as player profiles for Andy and myself that Jim Beaty has kindly put together for the event.

I have also copied in the owner of the Riverside Café, Robert Freeman-Kerr, who is the inspiration behind this event and who will be in charge of the event on the day.

It would be great if you could all pass on the information about this event to members of your clubs who you think might be interested in coming along. There's no need to reserve a place in advance - just turn up on the day!

Hope to see you there!

All the best

Mike"

Attached is the publicity leaflet and the two player profiles. The event is also advertised on the Facebook page of the Riverside Cafe https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100063589771971
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.