23rd April - Warning

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
NickFaulks

Re: 23rd April - Warning

Post by NickFaulks » Fri Apr 21, 2023 9:06 pm

Be warned that just because you have altered your settings to disable these intrusions, it doesn't mean that they have stayed disabled. I have had to re-disable mine twice and now believe that every system update reinstates them. You have to give our masters credit, they're clever.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Sat Apr 22, 2023 12:16 am

Simon Rogers wrote:
Fri Apr 21, 2023 8:34 pm
You hope that the alarm won't affect these events too much.
Allegedly if the phome is completely switched off, the alarm won't sound.

That will probably not be the case if the phone is on standby and silent.

I will be playing at St Albans and I expect to leave the phone in my car. Having the car sound an alarm is probably not a good idea, so I should switch it off completely.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Sat Apr 22, 2023 12:31 am

Roger de Coverly wrote:
Sat Apr 22, 2023 12:16 am
Allegedly if the phome is completely switched off, the alarm won't sound.
Allegedly indeed. Perhaps for now.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

David Stott

Post by David Stott » Sat Apr 22, 2023 4:50 pm

I think it's pretty safe to assume that, if the battery is removed from the phone, the alarm won't go off.

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Sat Apr 22, 2023 5:11 pm

David Stott wrote:
Sat Apr 22, 2023 4:50 pm
I think it's pretty safe to assume that, if the battery is removed from the phone, the alarm won't go off.

and if the tellingbone is powered by induction, sunlight, a wind or a wave source?
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

Chris Goodall

Post by Chris Goodall » Sat Apr 22, 2023 6:02 pm

I respect everyone's individual right to be melted by a nuclear blast wave rather than check their phone and hide in the basement. But someone who thinks receiving a text message counts as surveillance, should probably throw out their TV and radio, which are also capable of receiving signals broadcast by the gubmints.
Donate to Sabrina's fundraiser at https://gofund.me/aeae42c7 to support victims of sexual abuse in the chess world.

Northumberland webmaster, Jesmond CC something-or-other. Views mine. Definitely below the Goodall Line.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Sat Apr 22, 2023 7:14 pm

Chris Goodall wrote:
Sat Apr 22, 2023 6:02 pm
I respect everyone's individual right to be melted by a nuclear blast wave rather than check their phone and hide in the basement. But someone who thinks receiving a text message counts as surveillance, should probably throw out their TV and radio, which are also capable of receiving signals broadcast by the gubmints.
No, I turn off my tv/radio when I am not watching/listening to them. I want to be able to keep my phone on without risk of disturbance by the government.

Tim Spanton

Post by Tim Spanton » Sun Apr 23, 2023 9:27 am

NickFaulks wrote:
Sat Apr 22, 2023 7:14 pm
Chris Goodall wrote:
Sat Apr 22, 2023 6:02 pm
No, I turn off my tv/radio when I am not watching/listening to them. I want to be able to keep my phone on without risk of disturbance by the government.
I wonder if air-raid sirens provoked a similar response in WW2?

Alan Walton

Post by Alan Walton » Sun Apr 23, 2023 5:20 pm

Why is this a bad thing, it happens already in the EU (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EU-Alert); personally I would like to know of some life=threatening impending danger and hopefully getting this warning means I can possibly avoid it

Also it cracks me up people complaining about it being a failure that there were problems with the test, but isn't this the reason for testing it in the first place to make sure it is 100% efficient

Simon Rogers

Post by Simon Rogers » Sun Apr 23, 2023 5:36 pm

I picked up on YouTube about an hour ago:
"Emergency alert system interrupts play at the World Snooker Championship"
I hope it hasn't interrupted play at the St.Albans and Central London Chess Congresses.

Nick Ivell

Post by Nick Ivell » Sun Apr 23, 2023 5:46 pm

I was having an Italian meal but for some welcome reason remained undisturbed.

Chris Goodall

Post by Chris Goodall » Sun Apr 23, 2023 5:55 pm

Tim Spanton wrote:
Sun Apr 23, 2023 9:27 am
I wonder if air-raid sirens provoked a similar response in WW2?
Sirs,
If, as the powers-that-be have led me to believe, the purpose of the air-raid siren is to alert me to the imminent descent of explosive ordnance from the heavens, I trust you will understand the dismay I experienced last night upon detecting, for the second time this month, not a single explosion in the village or its environs prior to the sounding of the "all-clear".

(I expect that some such letters were indeed received by the papers, and that they were binned on the instructions of the ARP office lest it give pro-German agitators an angle.)
Donate to Sabrina's fundraiser at https://gofund.me/aeae42c7 to support victims of sexual abuse in the chess world.

Northumberland webmaster, Jesmond CC something-or-other. Views mine. Definitely below the Goodall Line.

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Sun Apr 23, 2023 6:12 pm

Alan Walton wrote:
Sun Apr 23, 2023 5:20 pm
Why is this a bad thing, it happens already in the EU (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EU-Alert); personally I would like to know of some life=threatening impending danger and hopefully getting this warning means I can possibly avoid it

Also it cracks me up people complaining about it being a failure that there were problems with the test, but isn't this the reason for testing it in the first place to make sure it is 100% efficient
Agree with that Alan

I was out for a walk when the alert sounded on my girlfriend's iPhone about a minute early

It didn't sound on my Samsung Android, not sure why
Any postings on here represent my personal views

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Sun Apr 23, 2023 6:18 pm

Simon Rogers wrote:
Sun Apr 23, 2023 5:36 pm
I hope it hasn't interrupted play at the St.Albans and Central London Chess Congresses.

or the Mike Basman Memorial
or the St Albans Congress
or 2023 Coventry Chess Academy Masters
or various junior events

Quite a busy weekend!
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

Alan Walton

Post by Alan Walton » Sun Apr 23, 2023 6:33 pm

John Upham wrote:
Sun Apr 23, 2023 6:18 pm
Simon Rogers wrote:
Sun Apr 23, 2023 5:36 pm

or the Mike Basman Memorial
or the St Albans Congress
or 2023 Coventry Chess Academy Masters
or various junior events

Quite a busy weekend!

Well if the organisers have been doing their job, then I would expect no problems whatsoever; at the Snooker the crowd was informed play will stop a couple of minutes before hand; I assume this would happen at all tournaments, similar as if it was a fire alarm test which has to occur