Accusation against Alejandro Ramirez

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Paul Habershon

Re: Accusation against Alejandro Ramirez

Post by Paul Habershon » Thu Sep 21, 2023 8:49 am

Mick Norris wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2023 10:16 pm
On the original topic of this thread US Chess President Faces Calls For Resignation After Social Media Comments
USCF President Randy Bauer (German for pawn). That's priceless. Cometh the hour cometh the man.

Matt Bridgeman

Post by Matt Bridgeman » Thu Sep 21, 2023 11:43 am

It’s good to see the big guns now turned on Brand, with the full might of The Hydrant Program and the Met now going for it. Presumably there’s more allegations. https://metro.co.uk/2023/09/21/russell- ... -19533579/

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Thu Sep 21, 2023 3:19 pm

"It’s good to see the big guns now turned on Brand, with the full might of The Hydrant Program and the Met now going for it."

Unfortunate choice of words with an unnamed Met officer remanded in custody today for allegedly shooting someone dead for no reason.

Matt Bridgeman

Post by Matt Bridgeman » Thu Sep 21, 2023 4:00 pm

Kevin Thurlow wrote:
Thu Sep 21, 2023 3:19 pm
"It’s good to see the big guns now turned on Brand, with the full might of The Hydrant Program and the Met now going for it."

Unfortunate choice of words with an unnamed Met officer remanded in custody today for allegedly shooting someone dead for no reason.
Probably more the reason they’ll want to do this high profile job right. Obviously the shooting was bad. The circumstances of it being a car involved in a firearms incident the day before must have been a factor. It might just about fly for the police in America but the officer’s going to need a very compelling defence here not to go to jail.

Matt Bridgeman

Post by Matt Bridgeman » Thu Sep 28, 2023 7:17 am

Mick Norris wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2023 10:16 pm
On the original topic of this thread US Chess President Faces Calls For Resignation After Social Media Comments
It looks like Jennifer Shahade received the ever popular cease and desist letter from US Chess, and just stated on Twitter;

‘US Chess took issue with an uplifting farewell email I sent to the girls club on my last day of work, claiming it violated policy— but they got the date wrong so it didn't.

This demand letter was sent within 24 hours of the US Chess president’s very public attacks.

This bullying has nothing to do with the US Chess mission.

I remain committed to bringing more girls and women and gender minorities into chess and thank everyone for their support!

I'd love to see folks recommend accountability + a retraction of this request from US Chess leadership.

Thank you so much for your support!! Wowed by the outpouring.‘

LawrenceCooper

Post by LawrenceCooper » Tue Oct 03, 2023 4:00 pm

Matt Bridgeman

Post by Matt Bridgeman » Tue Oct 03, 2023 4:10 pm

And Randy says sorry too. Not sure if he’s sorry about the cease and desist letter, as that apparently isn’t retracted. https://twitter.com/RandyBauer

https://twitter.com/SChevannes/status/1 ... 9158415620

Paul McKeown

Post by Paul McKeown » Tue Oct 03, 2023 5:16 pm

-- Edit. after appropriate moderation, no need for the post.
Last edited by Paul McKeown on Tue Oct 03, 2023 11:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FIDE Arbiter, FIDE Instructor
Richmond Junior Chess Club
Fulham Junior Chess Club
ECF Games Played Abroad Administrator

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Tue Oct 03, 2023 5:38 pm

"That's a fairly offensive ethnonym."

Is it applicable though? I assume Bauer is of German descent, and "greaseball" normally refers to Italian descent. After I read what Bauer is now apologising for (eventually), I didn't get as far as nine letters to describe him...

IM Jack Rudd

Post by IM Jack Rudd » Tue Oct 03, 2023 10:07 pm

I think I'll go with "offensive ethnonyms are still bad practice, even if the person being referred to isn't from the ethnicity in question", and have removed it from Matt's post.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Wed Oct 04, 2023 12:54 am

IM Jack Rudd wrote:
Tue Oct 03, 2023 10:07 pm
I think I'll go with "offensive ethnonyms are still bad practice, even if the person being referred to isn't from the ethnicity in question"
I never even knew it was an "ethnonym", thought it just meant a slimy liar. You have to be so careful nowadays.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Matt Bridgeman

Post by Matt Bridgeman » Wed Oct 04, 2023 2:17 pm

He who shall not be named has canned his Twitter/X account, so who knows if that is something or nothing?!

Joey Stewart

Post by Joey Stewart » Wed Oct 04, 2023 5:11 pm

NickFaulks wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2023 12:54 am
IM Jack Rudd wrote:
I think I'll go with "offensive ethnonyms are still bad practice, even if the person being referred to isn't from the ethnicity in question"
I never even knew it was an "ethnonym", thought it just meant a slimy liar. You have to be so careful nowadays.
I don't even know what this word is, never seen or heard it used in my entire life until today. It feels like there are a lot of obscure terminologies that get made up so that people can use them to start fights on the internet under the guise of being correct and open minded - the "pedants united" should have been careful what they wished for because now they have it...
Lose one queen and it is a disaster, Lose 1000 queens and it is just a statistic.

Paul McKeown

Post by Paul McKeown » Wed Oct 04, 2023 5:41 pm

Joey Stewart wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2023 5:11 pm
NickFaulks wrote:
IM Jack Rudd wrote:
I don't even know what this word is, never seen or heard it used in my entire life until today. It feels like there are a lot of obscure terminologies that get made up so that people can use them to start fights on the internet under the guise of being correct and open minded - the "pedants united" should have been careful what they wished for because now they have it...
No one is picking a fight with anyone. Ethnonym is a perfectly normal word, meaning a name for a people. An ethnonym does not have to be pejorative, e.g. "English" is a normal and inoffensive name for the people of England. However, we all know that there are words for people based on their origins, which one should not use unless one wants to cause great offense. I take it you aren't the sort of person who would walk into a restaurant, order a pilau, refuse to pay and call the maitre d' the well-known offensive term for people from Pakistan? So I don't really know what your issue is here. What is surprising is finding an adult who needs it explained to them.
FIDE Arbiter, FIDE Instructor
Richmond Junior Chess Club
Fulham Junior Chess Club
ECF Games Played Abroad Administrator

Matt Bridgeman

Post by Matt Bridgeman » Wed Oct 04, 2023 5:54 pm

Paul McKeown wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2023 5:41 pm
Joey Stewart wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2023 5:11 pm
NickFaulks wrote:

No one is picking a fight with anyone. Ethnonym is a perfectly normal word, meaning a name for a people. An ethnonym does not have to be pejorative, e.g. "English" is a normal and inoffensive name for the people of England. However, we all know that there are words for people based on their origins, which one should not use unless one wants to cause great offense. I take it you aren't the sort of person who would walk into a restaurant, order a pilau, refuse to pay and call the maitre d' the well-known offensive term for people from Pakistan? So I don't really know what your issue is here. What is surprising is finding an adult who needs it explained to them.
That seems a bit of an extreme association. One word is obviously a highly offensive, racist slur. I think mine has more or less fallen out of use, probably last seen in 1960’s gangster movies. Meant for semi-comic offense in relation to this character, who probably has roughly the same moral compass as a character from Succession.