Displaced Pieces

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Roger de Coverly

Displaced Pieces

Post by Roger de Coverly » Thu Jan 26, 2023 12:01 am

A point of marginal dispute arose in a League match tonight.

During the game, Black had played 0-0-0 and then Kb8. Both scoresheets agreed on this. What seems to have happened is that the King was displaced and replaced on c8 rather than b8. This wasn't noticed for a handful of moves. When it was noticed, there as a minor dispute as to whether the game should continue from the altered position.

Eventually it was agreed to go back to the position before the King was displaced. I'm not sure if it was to when the King was displaced or when .. Kb8 had been played.

The FIDE Handbook under Laws of Chess confirms this.
https://handbook.fide.com/chapter/E012023
7.6 If, during a game it is found that any piece has been displaced from its correct square, the position before the irregularity shall be reinstated. If the position immediately before the irregularity cannot be determined, the game shall continue from the last identifiable position prior to the irregularity. The game shall then continue from this reinstated position.

Geoff Chandler

Re: Displaced Pieces

Post by Geoff Chandler » Thu Jan 26, 2023 1:33 am

If you do not know when the King was misplaced does the game not go back to when the player castled Queenside.

That reminds me when one of my team mates had a Knight on e6 and Black played 0-0-0. There was also a White Queen attacking c7 so White has mate in one was on the board. Did white take the mate. No. He pointed out the illegal move and the player undid 0-0-0. (I think the notation for that is >0>0>0 ) He missed the mate in one because the illegal move shocked him and then did not insist on touch move with the King – he forgot he could! (the King could have gone to d7) I’d love to report he went onto lose but he eventually won.

I was in the same room when in a time scramble KQ v K a player in check knocked his King off the board and put it back on a different square which was not in check but stalemate! He then pointed out it was stalemate (later he told he did it on purpose) The player winning (a 2000+ player!) groaned and shook hands.

A few minutes later the player with the Queen realised what has happened but as they shook hands his opponent insisted it was a draw. Absolute bedlam followed. It was a league match, it went to appeal - I honestly do not know how that turned out, no score was kept of the last 15-20 moves as both were time trouble. I just remember the screaming scene at the end.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Thu Jan 26, 2023 1:40 am

Geoff Chandler wrote:
Thu Jan 26, 2023 1:33 am
If you do not know when the King was misplaced does the game not go back to when the player castled Queenside.
Both players agreed that .. Kb8 had been played as well as 0-0-0, so that represented a later known position.

Joey Stewart

Post by Joey Stewart » Thu Jan 26, 2023 12:16 pm

Geoff Chandler wrote:
Thu Jan 26, 2023 1:33 am

I was in the same room when in a time scramble KQ v K a player in check knocked his King off the board and put it back on a different square which was not in check but stalemate! He then pointed out it was stalemate (later he told he did it on purpose) The player winning (a 2000+ player!) groaned and shook hands.

A few minutes later the player with the Queen realised what has happened but as they shook hands his opponent insisted it was a draw. Absolute bedlam followed. It was a league match, it went to appeal - I honestly do not know how that turned out, no score was kept of the last 15-20 moves as both were time trouble. I just remember the screaming scene at the end.
That is hilarious (aside, I guess, for the guy who got screwed out of a win) must have been quite a memorable night.

It makes me wonder what is supposed to happen in a time scramble where multiple pieces were knocked off the board and players couldn't remember exactly where they were- is it just resolved similarly to the situation above where pieces are reset in a way that both players think looks right and play on from that position?
Lose one queen and it is a disaster, Lose 1000 queens and it is just a statistic.