Origin of a cliche

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Reg Clucas

Origin of a cliche

Post by Reg Clucas » Fri Nov 25, 2022 10:18 pm

I think I've found the origin of that well known sports commentators' cliche "it's a game of chess out there!"
IMG_2644a.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

John Townsend

Re: Origin of a cliche

Post by John Townsend » Sat Nov 26, 2022 5:28 pm

Ah, yes, Reg, very tempting to sit down and play a game. More outdoors chess would be a good move - in summer, of course. Seriously, I think we all want to see chess played by the wider population again. I recall an outdoor set a few decades ago at the end of Bournemouth pier, and more recently - only about 20 years ago - in a street in Hastings. More strength to their arm!

Matt Mackenzie

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Sat Nov 26, 2022 6:19 pm

Given the location, must be a good chance our own Mr Chandler has played on that board.
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)

J T Melsom

Post by J T Melsom » Sat Nov 26, 2022 6:26 pm

Murray (field) Chandler as well perhaps?

Geoff Chandler

Post by Geoff Chandler » Mon Nov 28, 2022 12:33 pm

I never knew there was one outside Murrayfield but now I do I'll pop along and take a picture of it with my blue and red chess set (Scotland v Wales). Only been to Murrayfield twice, once to watch American football, the Scottish Claymores (boring) and the other time was to see Barcelona beat Hibs 6-0. When I worked at the taxi's I was often given two free tickets for the internationals but gave them away in Sandy Bells for a couple of pints.

I picked up these different coloured chess sets (red,blue, green, yellow, black,white) for £1.00 each. The are really nice chunky and solid, felted and weighted.

Geoff Chandler

Post by Geoff Chandler » Mon Nov 28, 2022 5:23 pm

I went there today. The board is not in the Murrayfield ground but in a park right next to the stadium.

David York

Post by David York » Wed Dec 28, 2022 1:05 pm

The table is supplied by Concrete Sports Ltd. It is not going anywhere fast as it weighs 600kg! You can use the supplier's website map to see if there is one near you, but you have to wade through table tennis tables to find them. I have also been warned that it needs updating. For example for three recently installed on Streatham Common are not yet listed - see the Friends of Streatham Common Facebook for some more info (9 December posting) https://www.facebook.com/groups/streathamcommon/

Geoff Chandler

Post by Geoff Chandler » Wed Dec 28, 2022 2:54 pm

Hi David.

There are four in Edinburgh (just enter your postcode/town in the link below)

https://concretesports.co.uk/find-a-table/

I'm going to picture bag them all. (watch this space)

Geoff Chandler

Post by Geoff Chandler » Wed Jan 11, 2023 1:44 pm

'Watch This Space." (part 2)

Yesterday I went to the Edinburgh Steiner School. They do not have a chess table, instead they have two concrete ping-pong tables. From the Steiner School I took a bus to Leith Primary School but they have a concrete soccer table. Onto King George V Park only to discover another ping pong table. So my new quest, bagging (a pic of me sitting at the board) all the concrete chess tables in Edinburgh has come to a grinding halt.

All was not lost. Leith has a fair collection of charity shops and amongst other things I picked up yet another brand new copy of Fischer's 60 (algebraic) for £1.99. That is three I've picked up recently. All brand spanking new...where are they coming from?

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Wed Jan 11, 2023 4:29 pm

Geoff Chandler wrote:
Wed Jan 11, 2023 1:44 pm
I picked up yet another brand new copy of Fischer's 60 (algebraic) for £1.99. That is three I've picked up recently.
So far so good, but what is your exit strategy?
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

David York

Post by David York » Thu Jan 26, 2023 10:08 pm

Geoff Chandler wrote:
Wed Jan 11, 2023 1:44 pm
'Watch This Space." (part 2)

Yesterday I went to the Edinburgh Steiner School. They do not have a chess table, instead they have two concrete ping-pong tables. From the Steiner School I took a bus to Leith Primary School but they have a concrete soccer table. Onto King George V Park only to discover another ping pong table. So my new quest, bagging (a pic of me sitting at the board) all the concrete chess tables in Edinburgh has come to a grinding halt.

All was not lost. Leith has a fair collection of charity shops and amongst other things I picked up yet another brand new copy of Fischer's 60 (algebraic) for £1.99. That is three I've picked up recently. All brand spanking new...where are they coming from?
Well, I did warn you that you might have to wade through non-chess tables. I made a trip to see the Streatham Common tables (and play social chess in London that weekend) and while I had to wade through mud to get to them, they are quite impressive - plenty of space for clocks etc.
StreathamTables.JPG
I'm trying to get public tables in Colchester, hence all the research.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Geoff Chandler

Post by Geoff Chandler » Mon Jan 30, 2023 12:23 am

David York wrote:
Thu Jan 26, 2023 10:08 pm
Hi David,

I phoned the company using the number on the web site and actually spoke to the man who runs things there. He was very polite and helpful. I was trying to find out where all the chess tables in Scotland are. Good Luck in getting one in Colchester. (I might pop down to bag that one as well. )

Steven DuCharme

Post by Steven DuCharme » Mon Jan 30, 2023 6:49 pm

I see a reverse T.A.R.D.I.S. seating only one.
I float like a pawn island and sting like an ignored knight :mrgreen:

David York

Post by David York » Sun Feb 05, 2023 1:09 pm

Geoff Chandler wrote:
Mon Jan 30, 2023 12:23 am
David York wrote:
Thu Jan 26, 2023 10:08 pm
Hi David,

I phoned the company using the number on the web site and actually spoke to the man who runs things there. He was very polite and helpful. I was trying to find out where all the chess tables in Scotland are. Good Luck in getting one in Colchester. (I might pop down to bag that one as well. )
Geoff
Ten out of ten for persistence! I think we need a map of tables. I have a local one on my ColCHESSter website but so far, only one table (though two boards). I have looked at an open source map https://priceless.zottelig.ch/ that shows community assets including (under community sports) street chess but found I could not update. Probably more universal is the tagging facility of openstreetmap and you can see the global distribution here https://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/tags/ ... Dchess#map I think my to-do list might accept a general mapping project but it would be easier with a little help :-)

Geoff Chandler

Post by Geoff Chandler » Mon Feb 06, 2023 4:16 pm

David York wrote:
Sun Feb 05, 2023 1:09 pm

Hi David,

The problem with the main sites location map is they do not say if it is a chess table or table tennis/table football. Do not want to go all that way to play ping pong.

My next non-chess quest, after seeing 'Local Hero' on T.V. is the phone box in Pennan, Aberdeenshire. I've checked the bus times tables. I can do Edinburgh-Aberdeen-Pennan and back again in a day on my bus pass. (and I'll post myself a letter at the wee box next to the phone.) I'll take a picture of a chess set as well if that table is still next to the phone booth.