Karpov "hospitalised and in a serious condition"

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Roland Kensdale

Re: Karpov "hospitalised and in a serious condition"

Post by Roland Kensdale » Wed Nov 09, 2022 6:58 pm

Nick Ivell wrote:
Wed Nov 09, 2022 10:22 am
Glad to hear this better news.

And I agree with the above. Anatoly is not just any old grandmaster. He is one of the best players of all time!
If true this would be good news. Quite why there were multiple versions of what had happened, when this doesn't seem to be directly related to Ukraine (on which subject very little truth is to be expected), has not been explained. Until there is unarguable evidence of his recovery, I would expect any outcome.

Joey Stewart

Post by Joey Stewart » Thu Nov 10, 2022 1:14 am

It doesn't seem too hard to figure why there are multiple accounts when you are dealing with a country currently under heavy sanctions that has likely restricted the access of most of the Western journalists, leaving them to do the report largely via guesswork or outright making the facts up as they go
Lose one queen and it is a disaster, Lose 1000 queens and it is just a statistic.

David Williams

Post by David Williams » Thu Nov 10, 2022 11:01 am

Joey Stewart wrote:
Thu Nov 10, 2022 1:14 am
It doesn't seem too hard to figure why there are multiple accounts when you are dealing with a country currently under heavy sanctions that has likely restricted the access of most of the Western journalists, leaving them to do the report largely via guesswork or outright making the facts up as they go
Of course. Before there were sanctions there would have been absolutely no problem in discovering the exact truth of everything that happened in Russia.

Joey Stewart

Post by Joey Stewart » Thu Nov 10, 2022 12:12 pm

Well something like this would have certainly been easier since Karpov was considered 'on side' with the regime and generally liked by the public so there would be less reason to give disinformation about this incident.
Lose one queen and it is a disaster, Lose 1000 queens and it is just a statistic.

MJMcCready

Post by MJMcCready » Mon Nov 14, 2022 6:38 am

Do we have any updates on this? Exactly what was the problem and is he okay now?

Angus French

Post by Angus French » Tue Nov 15, 2022 7:31 pm

A Russian Chess News tweet has a smiling picture of Karpov with text which Google translates as "He drinks pomegranate juice and is very happy that he finally ended up at home".

Angus French

Post by Angus French » Thu Dec 08, 2022 8:36 pm

A new Russian Chess News tweet:
Google translation:
"“I think I was attacked. It looks like a blow. Most likely from behind.
I did not waste my time in the hospital, thinking over future articles, for example, on the historical and political topic of relations between Russia, Poland and the so-called Ukraine."