Karpov "hospitalised and in a serious condition"

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Matt Mackenzie

Karpov "hospitalised and in a serious condition"

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Mon Oct 31, 2022 4:20 pm

This much seems clear, but what exactly happened rather less so. Reports of an assault, but subsequently denied by other sources.

It does appear he was in the Duma (Russian parliament, of which he is a member) when whatever occurred took place.
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)

Angus French

Re: Karpov "hospitalised and in a serious condition"

Post by Angus French » Mon Oct 31, 2022 4:58 pm

World Chess have a report:

"Breaking News — Former World Chess Champion Anatoly Karpov hospitalized today. According to Russian telegram channels, Karpov was found unresponsive early in the morning near the State Duma (Russsian Parliament) building. He was rushed to the hospital and is now in the intensive care unit.

According to the media, Karpov suffered serious head injury and hip fracture. According to unconfirmed reports, his blood alcohol level was extremely high.

Karpov, a former World Chess Champion, has been active in chess and Russian politics. He is a member of the Russian Duma.

Update: Karpov’s assistant and the 2021 Candidates Tournament organizer Albert Stepanyan said to TASS, Russian Newswire service, that Karpov is in stable condition and suffered no injuries. Stepayan also refuted the claim that Karpov was a victim of assault.

Update: According to Meduza, Karpov accidentally fell down and suffered head trauma. He is currently under observation in a hospital.
"

StewartReuben

Post by StewartReuben » Mon Oct 31, 2022 6:34 pm

It is some years since I last met Anatoly Karpov (Tolya) but, in over 40 years, I never heard of his over-indulging in alcohol.
I very much doubt he was assaulted actually in the Duma. If he was found there, it is more likely there was an accident.

Simon Rogers

Post by Simon Rogers » Mon Oct 31, 2022 8:51 pm

Sad news about Anatoly. Hope he pulls through.
There is a more detailed report about his injuries posted in the Chess News section on ChessBase about 4 hours ago.

Matt Bridgeman

Post by Matt Bridgeman » Mon Oct 31, 2022 10:04 pm

You certainly get a feel for Russian misinformation with this story - assistant, wife, daughter, etc all seemingly with radically different takes on this. Presumably he’s at death’s door, and it’s very serious.

Matt Mackenzie

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Tue Nov 01, 2022 12:25 am

Some claims that his condition isn't that serious, I hope so but am also fearing the worst.
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)

Joey Stewart

Post by Joey Stewart » Tue Nov 01, 2022 2:11 am

I can't believe anyone in Russia would want to assault Karpov - isn't he considered a bit of a legendary figure there, someone who has been popular with the people and the leadership for pretty much his whole life?
Lose one queen and it is a disaster, Lose 1000 queens and it is just a statistic.

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Tue Nov 01, 2022 10:19 am

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Tue Nov 01, 2022 10:32 am

Not to distract from the seriousness of what has happened here (it is absolutely awful news), but it is quite sad that the Daily Mail report has only named Karpov as "a chess grandmaster in the 1970s" and "a former Russian chess grandmaster turned politician". Nothing about him being the 12th World Chess Champion from 1975 to 1985 (something even basic research would pick up on). If the worst comes to pass (and we obviously all hope it doesn't) then you would hope the coverage would be more accurate.

Leonard Barden

Post by Leonard Barden » Tue Nov 01, 2022 1:03 pm

From Chessbase:

https://www.gamingdeputy.com/karpovs-wi ... n-news-en/ (translation from an article in the Russian newspaper Izvestia), with some more about his wife's comment: 'We left the entrance with him. He slipped, limped. Thought it was a leg. And we went to the emergency room – they say: “Listen, something is wrong with your head, you hit your head,” she shared. The grandmaster’s wife also revealed new details about his condition. “There is a small hematoma. But now the doctor called me and said that it was already resolving. He is conscious, there is nothing wrong with him,” she said. According to her assumptions, the chess player will be discharged in three days.'

Matt Mackenzie

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Tue Nov 01, 2022 2:28 pm

Heartening, if true.

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Wed Nov 09, 2022 9:34 am

Any postings on here represent my personal views

Nick Ivell

Post by Nick Ivell » Wed Nov 09, 2022 10:22 am

Glad to hear this better news.

And I agree with the above. Anatoly is not just any old grandmaster. He is one of the best players of all time!

Matt Mackenzie

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Wed Nov 09, 2022 3:10 pm

One whose greatness has never been fully appreciated by too much of the chess world. Even now you get some people opining that he was never all that talented and just "had everything handed to him on a plate". The ludicrously simplified narrative about the 1984-85 match in particular (and not just its ending, about which an amazing amount of rubbish has been written) did chess - in Britain and the US especially - few favours.

Nick Ivell

Post by Nick Ivell » Wed Nov 09, 2022 4:18 pm

Agreed. Of course, Karpov lacked the brilliance of Fischer. However - as I have said before on these pages - he had a deeper positional understanding than Fischer, in my opinion at least.