Stephen Moss

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Roger Lancaster

Re: Stephen Moss

Post by Roger Lancaster » Tue Oct 11, 2022 4:21 pm

JustinHorton wrote:
Tue Oct 11, 2022 3:58 pm
Geoff Chandler wrote:
Tue Oct 11, 2022 3:52 pm
No not much more to add.
If only
Pots and kettles ...

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Tue Oct 11, 2022 4:41 pm

One word more than mine, Roger
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Tue Oct 11, 2022 4:46 pm

Geoff Chandler wrote:
"You may use Opening Explorer or other books without engine evaluations in Daily chess only
That's an impossible condition for chess.com to enforce without creating false accusations. How do they know which authors have or have not consulted engines in the course of writing their books? For that matter how do they know that main lines didn't evolve without engine assistance? You probably cannot even use your own private pre-game research if it was created with engine assistance.

Brian Egdell

Post by Brian Egdell » Tue Oct 11, 2022 4:58 pm

Roger de Coverly wrote:
Tue Oct 11, 2022 4:46 pm
Geoff Chandler wrote:
"You may use Opening Explorer or other books without engine evaluations in Daily chess only
That's an impossible condition for chess.com to enforce without creating false accusations. How do they know which authors have or have not consulted engines in the course of writing their books? For that matter how do they know that main lines didn't evolve without engine assistance? You probably cannot even use your own private pre-game research if it was created with engine assistance.
From my understanding (as a member of chess.com and its Cheating Forum up until July 2020 and having seen no evidence that the policy has changed since then), engine-produced opening analysis is okay provided that the player does not turn the engine on to work on a position which is currently occurring, or could soon potentially occur, in a current game.

That is indeed tricky to enforce. But such is the nature of cheating detection.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Tue Oct 11, 2022 5:22 pm

Brian Egdell wrote:
Tue Oct 11, 2022 4:58 pm
engine-produced opening analysis is okay provided that the player does not turn the engine on to work on a position which is currently occurring, or could soon potentially occur, in a current game.
I'm not a member of chess.com and don't play "daily" chess in any form. But I would regard such a clause as an unacceptable constraint on OTB play where I might wish to prepare for a particular opponent or analyse a recently completed game.

Anyway how does engine detection determine whether engine use is before the game or during it?

Brian Egdell

Post by Brian Egdell » Tue Oct 11, 2022 5:28 pm

Roger de Coverly wrote:
Tue Oct 11, 2022 5:22 pm
I'm not a member of chess.com and don't play "daily" chess in any form. But I would regard such a clause as an unacceptable constraint on OTB play where I might wish to prepare for a particular opponent or analyse a recently completed game.
That is a very reasonable objection.
Anyway how does engine detection determine whether engine use is before the game or during it?
With great difficulty I imagine. We are not privy to all chess.com's detection methods, but my guess is that this rule is probably virtually unenforcable.

We do know that typically the first 12 or so moves are disregarded in cheating detection, and that applies to live games as well as daily games. This probably explains why Stephen Moss got away with it up until he wrote the article.

Joey Stewart

Post by Joey Stewart » Tue Oct 11, 2022 5:46 pm

Roger de Coverly wrote:
Geoff Chandler wrote:
I don't think they care that much if the position develops into a full game and mistakes are made - they have got to know that all opening books of any quality in the last 30 years will have engine analysis in them. It is more a problem when players are reciting the theory well beyond move 20 and end up winning shortly after, thus making the play from their account indistinguishable from that of a computer.

Bottom line here- don't use books to learn tons of theory!
Lose one queen and it is a disaster, Lose 1000 queens and it is just a statistic.

Roger Lancaster

Post by Roger Lancaster » Tue Oct 11, 2022 5:48 pm

JustinHorton wrote:
Tue Oct 11, 2022 4:41 pm
One word more than mine, Roger
You're right, I shouId have omitted the "and"

Roger Lancaster

Post by Roger Lancaster » Tue Oct 11, 2022 5:53 pm

Joey Stewart wrote:
Tue Oct 11, 2022 5:46 pm
Roger de Coverly wrote:
Geoff Chandler wrote:
I don't think they care that much if the position develops into a full game and mistakes are made - they have got to know that all opening books of any quality in the last 30 years will have engine analysis in them. It is more a problem when players are reciting the theory well beyond move 20 and end up winning shortly after, thus making the play from their account indistinguishable from that of a computer.

Bottom line here- don't use books to learn tons of theory!
The difficulty distinguishing between analysis (which may include computer assistance) before, as opposed to during, an online game has already been aired on this thread several times and is in danger of being repeated ad nauseam.

Chris Goodall

Post by Chris Goodall » Tue Oct 11, 2022 10:09 pm

The time has come for me to confess to cheating in online chess. I have spent the last 20 years training a crude neural network of my own development on a dataset consisting mostly of my own games with occasional contributions from experts, and relying on the output of that network for >99% of my moves (the remainder are the work of a random move generator running on the same hardware, which activates automatically when my clock is showing less than 5 seconds).
Donate to Sabrina's fundraiser at https://gofund.me/aeae42c7 to support victims of sexual abuse in the chess world.

Northumberland webmaster, Jesmond CC something-or-other. Views mine. Definitely below the Goodall Line.

Jon Tait

Post by Jon Tait » Wed Oct 12, 2022 10:12 am

Geoff Chandler wrote:
You may use Opening Explorer or other books without engine evaluations in Daily chess
Hmmm. Not sure what they mean by "books without engine evaluations". All books nowadays use engine evaluations. Indeed, there seems little point in publishing analysis at all if it's not been evaluated by an engine. (Okay, Chris Ross would disagree with me there.)

And what about databases? As I wrote in a recent blogpost, I use all my resources in Daily chess:

"minutely-researched openings, numerous databases (OTB, CC, engine tournaments, and my own engine-enhanced analysis), an extensive library (close to 500 books), and suchlike"

In particular, I have about two dozen mini databases dedicated to my pet lines which I keep constantly updated with new games and engine-driven analysis. (A lot of this went into my book, and almost the only reason I play Daily – or its equivalent elsewhere – at all is to refine the theory still further.)

Chess.com didn't have a problem with that before, but perhaps they've changed their position. Or perhaps they don't care because I'm only playing a couple of mates anyway.

At blitz I only play 3/0, which seems to eliminate most engine use, or at least render it less effective. The problem then is ping rate. I often lose time scrambles to players who seem to reply the very instant I've moved because their ping rate is so much faster. 3/1 might counter that, but then...
blog inspired by Bronstein's book, but using my own games: http://200opengames.blogspot.co.uk/

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Wed Oct 12, 2022 10:46 am

Jon Tait wrote:
Wed Oct 12, 2022 10:12 am

And what about databases? As I wrote in a recent blogpost, I use all my resources in Daily chess:
from the linked blog
Chess.com have in fact "concluded" something twice. The first time (2014) I was banned for "cheating". The second (2016) I received an automated “Warning about suspicious play”.
That and Justin's case are a pair of examples where chess.com "cheat detection" is less than reliable. Perhaps they've improved their methods, but there remains a suspicion that their investigations don't know what plausibly is pre-game research and theory and what isn't.

Geoff Chandler

Post by Geoff Chandler » Wed Oct 12, 2022 10:54 am

Hi Jon,

My idea would be no good for 3 minute or 3+5 which I used to play. I was thinking of maybe a 15 minute game.
The ruling is full is; "You may use Opening Explorer or other books without engine evaluations in Daily chess only
(not in Online / Live play)" I'm reading the part in brackets as you cannot do this whilst a game is in progress. Which I speculate has been tagged on as an afterthought instead of re-writing the whole rule.

Gordon Morse

Post by Gordon Morse » Fri Oct 14, 2022 5:31 pm

I was a victim of a series of accidents, as are we all.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Fri Oct 14, 2022 6:27 pm

Gordon Morse wrote:
Fri Oct 14, 2022 5:31 pm
From the Guardian letters page:

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2022/ ... nline-game
I think she, if it's she, expresses the views of most of us. There isn't anyone of that name on the ecfrating site, so either she's online only or it's Sue Dunham.