University Chess

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Christopher Kreuzer

Re: University Chess

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Sun Oct 16, 2022 10:13 am

Roger de Coverly wrote:
Sun Oct 16, 2022 12:48 am
Richard Thursby wrote:
Sun Oct 16, 2022 12:41 am
[was, however, before any of Chess.com (in its current form), Lichess, or chess24 existed (taking the three sites mentioned in the History section of Online Chess in Wikipedia).

Surely ICC and its non-commercial equivalent FICS predate all three?

ICC had coverage for paying members of high level events with GM commentary. Its policy towards engine users or suspected engine users was to stick (C) after their user name. Writing chess engines was a hobby of some in the 1990s and perhaps later. ICC had no real problem with allowing them to be tested on its site provided they were flagged. I think they applied a similar policy to Cyborgs.
Ah, the lost days of innocence before computers got so good... :( (Well, actually, even then they were better than me, not difficult, and were fast approaching GM level. It is suprising looking back that the famous Kasparov loss was so early - 1997)

Chris Goodall

Re: University Chess

Post by Chris Goodall » Sun Oct 16, 2022 10:40 am

Christopher Kreuzer wrote:
Sun Oct 16, 2022 10:13 am
It is suprising looking back that the famous Kasparov loss was so early - 1997
If you believe the theory that there was no... enhanced technical support being provided by a human GM, or even Alan Llewellyn himself :D
Donate to Sabrina's fundraiser at https://gofund.me/aeae42c7 to support victims of sexual abuse in the chess world.

Northumberland webmaster, Jesmond CC something-or-other. Views mine. Definitely below the Goodall Line.