University Chess

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Roger de Coverly

University Chess

Post by Roger de Coverly » Sun Oct 02, 2022 1:25 am

From time to time I browse the chess-results site to see what's posted under ENG.

There was a Warwick University Freshers Tournament with an entry of 87. That would have been impressive even in the Fischer era when University based teams would win local and national team events.

http://chess-results.com/tnr680638.aspx?lan=1

Joey Stewart

Re: University Chess

Post by Joey Stewart » Sun Oct 02, 2022 1:29 am

That is an impressive number for Freshers, although chess has always been pretty buoyant at Warwick - when I was there it was not unusual to have club nights of 20-30 people attending, and the university has grown significantly in size since then so i can best believe they could get that many players
Lose one queen and it is a disaster, Lose 1000 queens and it is just a statistic.

Hok Yin Stephen Chiu

Post by Hok Yin Stephen Chiu » Sun Oct 02, 2022 7:10 am

They've grown a lot since my time; they even won an ECF award recently:
https://issuu.com/warwickchess/docs/war ... rt_2021_22
G. Secretary, https://WarwickChessAlumni.blogspot.com/
Delegate - Leamington
FIDE Arbiter

MartinCarpenter

Post by MartinCarpenter » Sun Oct 02, 2022 7:59 am

That report does suggest they're doing rather amazingly well :) I always thought Warwick should - millions of maths/science people of course.

Managing both womens and 2200+ club nights is genuinely a little bit amazing. Winning all the divisions in the Coventry league is a neat trick too :)

Chris Goodall

Post by Chris Goodall » Sun Oct 02, 2022 1:23 pm

Roger de Coverly wrote:
Sun Oct 02, 2022 1:25 am
That would have been impressive even in the Fischer era when University based teams would win local and national team events.
My leaving Edinburgh University brought about such an improvement in their performance that they ascended to, and won, the Edinburgh and Scottish Premier divisions in the shortest possible time :lol:
Donate to Sabrina's fundraiser at https://gofund.me/aeae42c7 to support victims of sexual abuse in the chess world.

Northumberland webmaster, Jesmond CC something-or-other. Views mine. Definitely below the Goodall Line.

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Fri Oct 14, 2022 9:47 am

MartinCarpenter wrote:
Sun Oct 02, 2022 7:59 am
That report does suggest they're doing rather amazingly well :) I always thought Warwick should - millions of maths/science people of course
I visited for the first time on Saturday for the Open Day, and was very impressed with the University (although depressed that I am older than it :oops: )
Any postings on here represent my personal views

MartinCarpenter

Post by MartinCarpenter » Fri Oct 14, 2022 10:39 am

Mick Norris wrote:
Fri Oct 14, 2022 9:47 am
MartinCarpenter wrote:
That report does suggest they're doing rather amazingly well :) I always thought Warwick should - millions of maths/science people of course
I visited for the first time on Saturday for the Open Day, and was very impressed with the University (although depressed that I am older than it :oops: )
If they've built anything like as much as Manchester most of us would be much older than most of it :)

John Reyes

Post by John Reyes » Fri Oct 14, 2022 1:41 pm

MartinCarpenter wrote:
Fri Oct 14, 2022 10:39 am
Mick Norris wrote:
MartinCarpenter wrote:
If they've built anything like as much as Manchester most of us would be much older than most of it :)
Manchester has been very active and i heard a IM has join them
Any postings on here represent my personal views only and also Dyslexia as well

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Fri Oct 14, 2022 4:54 pm

MartinCarpenter wrote:
Fri Oct 14, 2022 10:39 am
Mick Norris wrote:
MartinCarpenter wrote:
True, but Manchester was opened in 1824, not 1965 like Warwick :)
Any postings on here represent my personal views

Richard Thursby

Post by Richard Thursby » Sat Oct 15, 2022 10:58 pm

From my experience of University chess (now 15+ years ago), the 87 at a freshers' tournament aren't all freshers (the club members generally play) and quite a few will be people you never hear from again. The level of some players can be illustrated by the one occasion I was involved in organising said event when at the start of the tournament when participants were asked if they had any questions, one player asked something along the lines of "Are we playing touch-move?". Looking back, I would have liked to reply with two questions of my own: "What game are we playing?" and "What do the laws of that game state?"

I don't know whether other universities have/had the same issue, but trying to shoe-horn matches into term dates was always a bit of a problem, fitting fourteen dates into maybe nineteen weeks if you were lucky. The season after I stopped playing, the team was effectively relegated by completing their fixtures before everyone else, who then knew what they needed to do to survive. [Not my assessment, it's what somebody from one of the clubs involved told me, although there was no suggestion of collusion.]

Chris Goodall

Post by Chris Goodall » Sat Oct 15, 2022 11:20 pm

Richard Thursby wrote:
Sat Oct 15, 2022 10:58 pm
The level of some players can be illustrated by the one occasion I was involved in organising said event when at the start of the tournament when participants were asked if they had any questions, one player asked something along the lines of "Are we playing touch-move?"
I have seen some serious players on Anna Cramling's channel playing clock-move, as they call it.
Donate to Sabrina's fundraiser at https://gofund.me/aeae42c7 to support victims of sexual abuse in the chess world.

Northumberland webmaster, Jesmond CC something-or-other. Views mine. Definitely below the Goodall Line.

Joey Stewart

Post by Joey Stewart » Sun Oct 16, 2022 12:11 am

Richard Thursby wrote:

I don't know whether other universities have/had the same issue, but trying to shoe-horn matches into term dates was always a bit of a problem, fitting fourteen dates into maybe nineteen weeks if you were lucky. The season after I stopped playing, the team was effectively relegated by completing their fixtures before everyone else, who then knew what they needed to do to survive. [Not my assessment, it's what somebody from one of the clubs involved told me, although there was no suggestion of collusion.]

I'm not sure about all universities but at Warwick the Coventry League committee were very accommodating and arranged all the main league fixtures to fall within university term dates, with cups and other internal competitions taking place in the holiday season, so we never had problem fitting the matches in before easter - I can't imagine universities even wanting to compete in a league that refused to fit them in such a way.
Lose one queen and it is a disaster, Lose 1000 queens and it is just a statistic.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Sun Oct 16, 2022 12:21 am

Richard Thursby wrote:
one player asked something along the lines of "Are we playing touch-move?".
If their previous experience had been in online chess, which we are told we must treat seriously, then that is an entirely reasonable question. How does premove fit in?
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Richard Thursby

Post by Richard Thursby » Sun Oct 16, 2022 12:41 am

NickFaulks wrote:
Sun Oct 16, 2022 12:21 am
Richard Thursby wrote:
one player asked something along the lines of "Are we playing touch-move?".
If their previous experience had been in online chess, which we are told we must treat seriously, then that is an entirely reasonable question. How does premove fit in?
Fair point. This was, however, before any of Chess.com (in its current form), Lichess, or chess24 existed (taking the three sites mentioned in the History section of Online Chess in Wikipedia). My understanding of the question was that it was from an OTB perspective/background.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Sun Oct 16, 2022 12:48 am

Richard Thursby wrote:
Sun Oct 16, 2022 12:41 am
[was, however, before any of Chess.com (in its current form), Lichess, or chess24 existed (taking the three sites mentioned in the History section of Online Chess in Wikipedia).

Surely ICC and its non-commercial equivalent FICS predate all three?

ICC had coverage for paying members of high level events with GM commentary. Its policy towards engine users or suspected engine users was to stick (C) after their user name. Writing chess engines was a hobby of some in the 1990s and perhaps later. ICC had no real problem with allowing them to be tested on its site provided they were flagged. I think they applied a similar policy to Cyborgs.