A funny story...

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
J T Melsom

Re: A funny story...

Post by J T Melsom » Tue Aug 23, 2022 9:38 am

Jack

Thanks for that clarification. I may have misunderstood your response to my reporting a private message as implying that because it was private there wasn't much moderators could do. Can you confirm that a private message if reported to moderators is subject to the same community standards as a public one, and being abusive in private isn't somehow preferable to doing so in public. I also accept that not all complaints are upheld.

AlanLlewellyn

Post by AlanLlewellyn » Tue Aug 23, 2022 9:42 am

IM Jack Rudd wrote:
Tue Aug 23, 2022 9:24 am
<Moderator Hat>
I can't actually see private messages unless they are sent by or to me, so I can't perform moderation activities on them.

In general, it's probably not a great idea to repost private messages in public without permission from the author, although I'd be surprised if Keith minded the reposting of that particular one.
</Moderator Hat>
Sense at last surely the truthfulness of the threads original post matters more than the principle of not reposting private messages. It was not my intent to belittle in any way Keith's right to amenity on the issue or disrespect him. I posted the private message with trepidation but wanting him to confirm what happened as Lora Barnes can because she heard the conversation i think.

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Tue Aug 23, 2022 9:54 am

AlanLlewellyn wrote:
Tue Aug 23, 2022 9:42 am
Sense at last surely the truthfulness of the threads original post matters more than the principle of not reposting private messages.
No
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

AlanLlewellyn

Post by AlanLlewellyn » Tue Aug 23, 2022 10:07 am

JustinHorton wrote:
Tue Aug 23, 2022 9:54 am
AlanLlewellyn wrote:
Tue Aug 23, 2022 9:42 am
Sense at last surely the truthfulness of the threads original post matters more than the principle of not reposting private messages.
No
No i think youll find we live in a free world not a dictatorship, the truth matters and is not something you can make up at a whim to suit you.

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Tue Aug 23, 2022 10:53 am

Think you may find this is a regulated environment
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

AlanLlewellyn

Post by AlanLlewellyn » Tue Aug 23, 2022 11:08 am

I am a member of the Labour party not some rampant blairite droulling nazi either, i believe in justice for the workers but i believe what have we learnt from the abuse we get if we havent learnt that justice does not mean turning the tables. I am a religious humanist, i dont say we are are all equal but some are more equal than others i actually live by my equality in my actions.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Tue Aug 23, 2022 12:00 pm

I think it reflects very well on this forum that Alan has not received a shred of abuse here.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

David Stott

Post by David Stott » Tue Aug 23, 2022 12:47 pm

NickFaulks » Tue Aug 23, 2022 12:00 pm

I think it reflects very well on this forum that Alan has not received a shred of abuse here.
I agree with Nick

Stephen Westmoreland

Post by Stephen Westmoreland » Tue Aug 23, 2022 8:40 pm

Few days off the forum whilst on holiday. Interesting political thread.. back to the holiday!
HDCA President

Simon Rogers

Post by Simon Rogers » Tue Aug 23, 2022 10:25 pm

Stephen Westmoreland wrote:
Tue Aug 23, 2022 8:40 pm
Few days off the forum whilst on holiday. Interesting political thread.. back to the holiday!
Where did you go for your holiday Stephen?
I've noticed that you have entered the Scarborough Congress already.

Stephen Westmoreland

Post by Stephen Westmoreland » Wed Aug 24, 2022 12:21 am

Tattershall Lakes, with the missus, 3 kids and dog. Looking forwards to Scarborough and the rare time out of work/family commitments. The middle one is coming with me to Ilkley in a few weeks.
HDCA President

Simon Rogers

Post by Simon Rogers » Wed Aug 24, 2022 12:28 am

Stephen Westmoreland wrote:
Wed Aug 24, 2022 12:21 am
Tattershall Lakes, with the missus, 3 kids and dog. Looking forwards to Scarborough and the rare time out of work/family commitments. The middle one is coming with me to Ilkley in a few weeks.
Where is Tattershall Lakes?
It will be good to finally meet you at last in Scarborough.
Are you going to the Leyland Congress this weekend?

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Wed Aug 24, 2022 7:56 am

J T Melsom wrote:
Tue Aug 23, 2022 9:38 am
Jack

Thanks for that clarification. I may have misunderstood your response to my reporting a private message as implying that because it was private there wasn't much moderators could do. Can you confirm that a private message if reported to moderators is subject to the same community standards as a public one, and being abusive in private isn't somehow preferable to doing so in public. I also accept that not all complaints are upheld.
Basically no PMs are supposed to be private there is no direct access even for me.

I can probably access them deep in the database but that is invasive and not something I am going to be doing.
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Nick Ivell

Post by Nick Ivell » Wed Aug 24, 2022 8:27 am

This seems to imply that 'community standards' are irrelevant when it comes to private messages (in which I seldom indulge).

Being private, the messages are not part of the community as such, and are not subject to moderation.

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Wed Aug 24, 2022 8:41 am

Nick Ivell wrote:
Wed Aug 24, 2022 8:27 am
This seems to imply that 'community standards' are irrelevant when it comes to private messages (in which I seldom indulge).

Being private, the messages are not part of the community as such, and are not subject to moderation.
That is a fair assessment yes.
Cheers
Carl Hibbard