Hobby Man 19th August Ch4.

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Geoff Chandler

Hobby Man 19th August Ch4.

Post by Geoff Chandler » Sat Aug 13, 2022 10:35 am

I thought I'd give this it's own thread because I'm in it!

https://www.memorabletv.com/episodes/ho ... channel-4/

'In this first episode, Alex is in Edinburgh with Scarlett Moffatt for a funny and enthusiastic introduction to three hobbies. Together, they visit one of the world’s oldest chess clubs to find out why this ancient game continues to be so popular.
Alex has never played before, so he goes on a crash course before going head-to-head with Scarlett in a match worthy
of The Queen’s Gambit.

I hope they cut my bit in the college of physicians which was filmed the day after the club scenes.
I was nursing a severe hangover after someone suggested because we were all covid free,
(Ch4 tested us daily and just prior to us all entering the club.) why not go to a pub.
My Edinburgh Club jersey was badly stained with a traditional kebab so I wore some scruffy top,
I was bleary eyed, unshaven, I had no idea I'd be on again...dreading it.
But all in all good fun.

Matt Mackenzie

Re: Hobby Man 19th August Ch4.

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Sat Aug 13, 2022 1:12 pm

Can I be the first to say "weak lemon drink, anyone?"
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)

Geoff Chandler

Post by Geoff Chandler » Sat Aug 13, 2022 1:56 pm

Hi Matt,

I could never go in a pub 'just for one.' once in I'm there till the staff go home
and the worst thing about getting old is the hangover lasts for days.
These days I'm not a pints man, vodka and tonic. (I miss the pint nights)

The bag of sugar (about 20-25years ago.)
We needed sugar so I went to corner shop, on the way home I met a friend.
Sandy Bells! from there down to Leith, stay night in his flat.
Next day went to Hibs v Motherwell (all the time with a bag of sugar on me.)
then off to Easter Road pubs and Leith again. Stayed the night in the flat.
Sunday afternoon arrived home...'Where have you been...did you get the sugar?"

Geoff Chandler

Post by Geoff Chandler » Thu Aug 18, 2022 11:46 am

*** 'Bump ***

It is on tomorrow night. I'll tape it, weather permitting I'll be at the speedway, Edinburgh Monarchs v The Redcar Bears.

Roland Kensdale

Post by Roland Kensdale » Sat Aug 20, 2022 8:03 pm

Inevitably a bit disappointing. Filming inside Edinburgh Chess Club, Geoff was cut to a very brief clip wishing the 2 presenters good luck in their games. The video intro had one board with the Kings and Queens transposed.

Some shots of the Lewis Chessmen at the Museum of Scotland. Geoff used to argue that they were for another game (that will be in another thread).

Some useful tips for new players. Alex Brooker said that of the 3 hobbies shown in the programme he preferred Chess. Birdwatching and home brewing were the others.

Probably impossible to explain the fascination of chess to someone who hasn't real experience of serious play, but if programmes like this make someone curious enough to start playing, some may stick with it.

https://www.channel4.com/programmes/hob ... /73157-001

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Sat Aug 20, 2022 11:32 pm

I quite liked it, but raised eyebrows when they said there were 6 million regular chess players in this country.

The tips were useful and I generally agree with Roland.

Why did everyone have their knights facing forwards?

Jon Mahony

Post by Jon Mahony » Sun Aug 21, 2022 11:25 pm

I reckon the average price of Scarlet's fitness DVD will have taken a hit on eBay!
"When you see a good move, look for a better one!" - Lasker

Geoff Chandler

Post by Geoff Chandler » Mon Aug 22, 2022 2:27 am

I was hoping for more on the club. They were there a long time filming.

I controlled the final game but, thankfully, I got cut out.
I do look geeky, all I need is a the spotty face, sellotape over
the rim of the glasses and I fit the public image of a chess player.
My red plastic chess clock was on the telly longer than me!
Chess could not complete with the brewing of real ale.

I hated seeing myself on TV. I use to do the interviews for Edinburgh speedway.

http://www.foes.info/videos/vids90.html

(my son found some YouTube clips on me in action. I cannot stay in the same room.)

The Lewis Men.

The Edinburgh Museum now displays them on a chessboard and on a Viking game board, which is most probably where they belong.
In tourist season definitely the chessboard. You can buy Lewis men on everything from handbags to dishcloths.
keyrings to mouse mats. Lewis men mugs, rugs and coasters. You name it and they have stuck a Lewis Man on it.

If they were carved as chess pieces (Norway in the 11th/12th century) I'd say the Bishop was the Rook.
It looks like a Bishop, must be a Bishop...but no Bishop called a Bishop in Chess in till 1560.
If you have a set use the Bishop as the Rook and the berserker as a Bishop.
It even starts to look like chess set, (though probably isn't.)

They first appeared (then all white) in 1826 claiming they came from Roxburghshire. Sale refused.
They popped up again just after all the publicity surrounding the Edinburgh - London match. What a neat coincidence!
(about the same time as a book on the match was published by...William Lewis - that probably is a coincidence...or is it?)

A few of them, enough to a make chess set were dyed red with beetroot juice.
Again Scotland refused to buy them. Stating quite clearly in their minutes they did not
think they came from the Isle of Lewis (in 1826 they were told they came from Roxburghshire.)

But better to run with a ship wreck, a lone survivor (the cabin boy in some stories) swimming ashore with
the all the 'chess' pieces, as you would, then getting themselves murdered, an inquisitive cow...etc and etc.

But they are making money. One piece sold for £700.00+ recently.
What ever was sold was definitely carved in the 11th/12th century but was it a chess piece, did it come from Lewis?
With that kind of money and the commission for the auction house (15%-20%) let's not bother about mere details.