I am pro-Argentinian but...

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
AlanLlewellyn

Re: I am pro-Argentinian but...

Post by AlanLlewellyn » Sat Aug 13, 2022 11:57 am

imagine a much more talented much more exciting much better looking version of magnus and you have me

Roger Lancaster

Post by Roger Lancaster » Sat Aug 13, 2022 7:05 pm

It's still possible to acquire two ratings, particularly in the case of newish juniors who are occasionally allocated two ECF rating codes.

Chris Goodall

Post by Chris Goodall » Sat Aug 13, 2022 8:17 pm

This is why local graders were a good idea. LMS won't Facebook message a university player to ask whether he is the same person as a schoolboy from the other end of the country. I did - and when he didn't respond, I deduced that he was, by looking up the school rugby colours he was wearing in his profile photo.
Donate to Sabrina's fundraiser at https://gofund.me/aeae42c7 to support victims of sexual abuse in the chess world.

Northumberland webmaster, Jesmond CC something-or-other. Views mine. Definitely below the Goodall Line.

Roger Lancaster

Post by Roger Lancaster » Sat Aug 13, 2022 9:13 pm

Chris Goodall wrote:
Sat Aug 13, 2022 8:17 pm
This is why local graders were a good idea. LMS won't Facebook message a university player to ask whether he is the same person as a schoolboy from the other end of the country. I did - and when he didn't respond, I deduced that he was, by looking up the school rugby colours he was wearing in his profile photo.
Not everyone is as proactive as you, Chris. For two players with identical names, first port of call should be the dob on the ECF database (restricted access) but there's the separate and trickier problem of juniors who inadvertently enter two different events under near-identical names - or where one of the event organisers manages to mis-spell a name.

AlanLlewellyn

Post by AlanLlewellyn » Sun Aug 14, 2022 2:12 am

Chris Goodall wrote:
Sat Aug 13, 2022 8:17 pm
i have two ecf records attached to my name from when i was doing a masters at uni in manchester in 1996 but only played 1 game under the new rating i think. i dont know why they didnt find my original rating.