ChessBase Engine Analysis Problem

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
DavidWalker

Re: ChessBase Engine Analysis Problem

Post by DavidWalker » Mon Aug 15, 2022 2:46 pm

The only way I found of restoring the Full Analysis Engine and Notation windows from within the Houdini 3 GUI was to use Factory Settings from within the View menu. However, this has the unfortunate effect of resetting all user configuration to the just-installed defaults. To be fair to ChessBase, I did find it quite difficult to close the Engine and Notation windows in the first place - most of the time clicking on Close was just ignored - but I did eventually succeed.

This differs from the way that the similar Analysis functionality works in ChessBase 15. Within ChessBase, the Deep Analysis and Tactical Analysis functions both inherit the windows they use from those windows ticked in the View menu.

Ian Thompson

Re: ChessBase Engine Analysis Problem

Post by Ian Thompson » Mon Aug 15, 2022 3:18 pm

DavidWalker wrote:
Mon Aug 15, 2022 2:46 pm
To be fair to ChessBase, I did find it quite difficult to close the Engine and Notation windows in the first place - most of the time clicking on Close was just ignored - but I did eventually succeed.
Yes, when an engine is running it becomes difficult to do other things - as if the engine has grabbed all the CPU time available to the program so the GUI doesn't get a look in.

I'd accidentally undocked the evaluation window and was having no joy redocking it, so I thought I'd try closing it and reopening it to see if it came back docked. The program did respond normally when closing an undocked window.