out of the blue in an english line i invented

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Kevin Thurlow

Re: out of the blue in an english line i invented

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Sun Jul 31, 2022 4:21 pm

I recall in the mid-80s (ish) someone annotating a game claimed that a move was a TN. The next issue of "Chess" carried a letter from Michael Macdonald-Ross pointing out that his 1971 book on the opening had an entire chapter on the move... Annotators tended to look at Chessbase and not remember that chess didn't start in the early 80s.

MJMcCready

Post by MJMcCready » Sun Jul 31, 2022 4:57 pm

Kevin Thurlow wrote:
Sun Jul 31, 2022 4:21 pm
I recall in the mid-80s (ish) someone annotating a game claimed that a move was a TN. The next issue of "Chess" carried a letter from Michael Macdonald-Ross pointing out that his 1971 book on the opening had an entire chapter on the move... Annotators tended to look at Chessbase and not remember that chess didn't start in the early 80s.
Yes but also sometimes people give the same thing different names without realising. This was especially true in the Soviet Union where openings were named after regions sometimes, and that in itself was often both hotly disputed and left unresolved.

AlanLlewellyn

Post by AlanLlewellyn » Sun Jul 31, 2022 6:05 pm

a different opening entirely but showing a similar attack on e5 and a Nxe5. This shows that the possibility of a Black light squared Bishop retreat to f3(after taking on d1) always needs considering by White- the lack of a pawn on g2 means this threat is potent and i nearly throw away a win here in this todays game i played at 45 10 tc.

AlanLlewellyn

Post by AlanLlewellyn » Sun Jul 31, 2022 6:12 pm

13...Bxd1! instead of 13...Qxf6?? played which loses a piece 14 fxe7 Bf3 15 Rg1 Kxe7 is small advatage to white.

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Sun Jul 31, 2022 6:23 pm

"I recall in the mid-80s (ish) someone annotating a game claimed that a move was a TN. The next issue of "Chess" carried a letter from Michael Macdonald-Ross pointing out that his 1971 book on the opening had an entire chapter on the move... Annotators tended to look at Chessbase and not remember that chess didn't start in the early 80s."

"Yes but also sometimes people give the same thing different names without realising. This was especially true in the Soviet Union where openings were named after regions sometimes, and that in itself was often both hotly disputed and left unresolved."

Fans of Harold Pinter will enjoy that response.

AlanLlewellyn

Post by AlanLlewellyn » Sun Jul 31, 2022 8:36 pm

did harold pinter have a nickname or is that the point? LOL

AlanLlewellyn

Post by AlanLlewellyn » Sun Jul 31, 2022 8:38 pm

You wont mind me digressing at this point but boy do i love everything about England after the Lionesses win.

Joey Stewart

Post by Joey Stewart » Mon Aug 01, 2022 12:58 am

MJMcCready wrote:
Sun Jul 31, 2022 4:57 pm
Kevin Thurlow wrote:
Sun Jul 31, 2022 4:21 pm
Yes but also sometimes people give the same thing different names without realising. This was especially true in the Soviet Union where openings were named after regions sometimes, and that in itself was often both hotly disputed and left unresolved.

It is an ongoing problem - I've seen several openings renamed by people presumably trying to claim them as their own, and not just obscure little sidelines either but major ones like Scandinavian (center counter), phillodor (lions defence), c3 Sicilian (alapin), svesnikov (pelikan), modern (sniper)
Lose one queen and it is a disaster, Lose 1000 queens and it is just a statistic.

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Mon Aug 01, 2022 8:07 am

"It is an ongoing problem - I've seen several openings renamed by people presumably trying to claim them as their own, and not just obscure little sidelines either but major ones like Scandinavian (center counter), phillodor (lions defence), c3 Sicilian (alapin), svesnikov (pelikan), modern (sniper)"

Should this have a separate thread?

I was talking about "new" moves in a line, which turned out not to be new moves. Then people bizarrely think I am talking about nomenclature of openings, which is quite clearly an entirely different subject.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Mon Aug 01, 2022 12:20 pm

Joey Stewart wrote:
Mon Aug 01, 2022 12:58 am
I've seen several openings renamed by people presumably trying to claim them as their own, and not just obscure little sidelines either but major ones like Scandinavian (center counter), phillodor (lions defence), c3 Sicilian (alapin), svesnikov (pelikan), modern (sniper)
Which are you classing as the old name and which the new?

The Centre Counter was the British name for the sequence 1. e4 d5 in my youth and the Pelikan a name for the sequence 1. e4 c5 2. Nf3 Nc6 3. d4 cxd4 4. Nxd4 Nf6 5. Nc3 e5.

Alapin was a master of over a hundred years ago, so I'm not sure when his name was first attached to the sequence 1. e4 c5 2. c3.

I'd agree that the "Sniper" and "Lion" are modern inventions, in part promoted by authors keen to sell books about their ideas.

The sequence 1. d4 Nf6 2. c4 c5 3. d5 b5 has been named after both a river in Russia and an American player. Perhaps naming it after the river has regained popularity after the player's death.

AlanLlewellyn

Post by AlanLlewellyn » Mon Aug 01, 2022 12:31 pm

i was told by the bible of chess Batsford Chess Openings 2, that 1 g3 was the benko-Larsen opening and 1 b3 the nimzo-larsen and 1 b4 the orangutan (although it mentions sokolsky). Imagine my surprise as a beginner when people i talked to in chess didnt know what i was talking about when i mentioned i those names.

Another funny story , I really thought BCO 2 was the only place to find the right moves to play and i honestly said after a game started unusual( but playable), i said the immortal line 'he went wrong on move 2' after he beat me.