favourite chess film

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.

whats your favourite film devoted to chess, i will place them in my own favourite order best first

Poll ended at Sun Oct 16, 2022 7:59 pm

The Luzhin Defence
30%
Innocent Moves
No votes
Pawn Sacrifice
No votes
Queen of Katwe
30%
The Chess Player(spanish 2018)
No votes
The Knights of the South Bronx
No votes
The Grass Arena
No votes
Life of a King
No votes
The Queens Gambit(Streaming Series)
40%

Total votes: 10

AlanLlewellyn

Re: favourite chess film

Post by AlanLlewellyn » Fri Aug 05, 2022 9:01 pm

MJMcCready wrote:
Fri Aug 05, 2022 12:47 pm
AlanLlewellyn wrote:
Fri Jul 29, 2022 8:16 pm
Matt Mackenzie wrote:
Fri Jul 29, 2022 6:12 pm
The Great Chess Movie seems to be highly rated by most who have watched it.
imagine losing against a computer...classic
Who went and did that?
one of the guys in it thinks losing against a computer is embarrassingly bad

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Fri Aug 05, 2022 9:07 pm

AlanLlewellyn wrote:
Fri Aug 05, 2022 9:01 pm
David Levy or Garry Weinstein?
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

AlanLlewellyn

Post by AlanLlewellyn » Sat Aug 06, 2022 6:28 am

John Upham wrote:
Fri Aug 05, 2022 9:07 pm
AlanLlewellyn wrote:
Fri Aug 05, 2022 9:01 pm
David Levy or Garry Weinstein?
neither cant remember his name

AlanLlewellyn

Post by AlanLlewellyn » Sat Aug 06, 2022 7:45 pm

from the voting its fair to say if your not choosing the queen you are just louzhin LOL

Richard Thursby

Post by Richard Thursby » Sat Aug 06, 2022 9:35 pm

AlanLlewellyn wrote:
Sat Aug 06, 2022 7:45 pm
from the voting its fair to say if your not choosing the queen you are just louzhin LOL
Is there any reason why you have transliterated Лужин as Louzhin rather than Luzhin? The film is definitely Luzhin in the English title and I can't find any examples of Louzhin on the WWW.

AlanLlewellyn

Post by AlanLlewellyn » Sat Aug 06, 2022 9:45 pm

Richard Thursby wrote:
Sat Aug 06, 2022 9:35 pm
AlanLlewellyn wrote:
Sat Aug 06, 2022 7:45 pm
Is there any reason why you have transliterated Лужин as Louzhin rather than Luzhin? The film is definitely Luzhin in the English title and I can't find any examples of Louzhin on the WWW.
could it be because i am dumb?

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Sat Aug 06, 2022 9:50 pm

I spotted that too. Is it bad that I assumed you had spelt it wrong? It think it is Katwe (not Katawe) as well.

I haven't voted because I have only seen two of them (Queen of Katwe and The Grass Arena).

From the order, it seems you don't like 'The Queen's Gambit', or is the site showing me the films in a random order?

AlanLlewellyn

Post by AlanLlewellyn » Sat Aug 06, 2022 10:00 pm

Christopher Kreuzer wrote:
Sat Aug 06, 2022 9:50 pm
I spotted that too. Is it bad that I assumed you had spelt it wrong? It think it is Katwe (not Katawe) as well.

I haven't voted because I have only seen two of them (Queen of Katwe and The Grass Arena).

From the order, it seems you don't like 'The Queen's Gambit', or is the site showing me the films in a random order?
i should say i love them all imensely i am mad about chess films but i found queens gambit too close to home.

AlanLlewellyn

Post by AlanLlewellyn » Sun Aug 07, 2022 2:07 pm

None of them are my perfect movie because all have a fault in my opinion but all range from 9.4/10 to 9.6/10 so you can ignore the order- a summary of each film is given below:-
The Luzhin Defence- the story of a child prodigy from early 1900s after he has grown up and met a woman lover at a chess world championships whom he plans on marrying- its a brilliant film but with an unfortunate ending which makes in a tough film to come to terms with. based on a book by nobokov.
Innocent Moves-the story of a 1980s child prodigy josh waitzkin and his playing in washington park based on a true story.
Pawn Sacrifice-based on real events a movie on bobby fischer leading up to his victory in 1972 for world champion.
Queen of Katwe-based on the real life story of a girl in a shanty ton in uganda who became a chess sensation.
The Chess Player(spanish 2018)- a fictitious account of a spaniards relationship with a woman through world war 2 and his arrest and survival because the nazi camp commandant loves playing a professional chess player. subtitled
The Knights of the South Bronx-based on a real story of a teacher in the bronx who goes on the limb to teach disadvantaged kids at a school, chess -they win the nationals.
The Grass Arena-based on a real life story of a down and out who saves himself with playing chess in the 70s.
Life of a King-based on a story of a black convict in america who starts a chess club for black children in a drug gang infested environment.
The Queens Gambit(Streaming Series)-I have to admit from my institutionalized and chess background i found this difficult to watch. but it was a well made account of a girl orphan introduced to the chess community based on a book by the same writer who wrote the colour of money and the hustler. the actress is amazingly beautiful and competes admirably with a great storyline and wonderful backdrops. and the chess is central to the story.