Edinburgh Festival - Fringe 2022 and Chess

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Geoff Chandler

Edinburgh Festival - Fringe 2022 and Chess

Post by Geoff Chandler » Tue Jul 26, 2022 3:37 pm

Hi,

I was surfing about to see if anything connected to chess was going to be on offer.
I have so far come across two and one of them is puzzling.

The first one is Unwanted Objects

'...the new story and song show from critically acclaimed duo David Head and Matt Glover. (never heard of them)

They invite you to explore a mysterious second-hand shop full of old teddy bears, abandoned chess sets and ships in bottles. Combining bittersweet short stories, full of wit, whimsy and warmth, with folk, pop and blues inspired musical melancholia, it explores sentimentality, our possessions and the meaning we attach to them. 'Stunning' ***** (EdFringeReview.com). 'Sublime' ***** (LondonTheatre1.com).

(Sounds like a load of old codswallop.)

I have picked up a few chess sets from second hand shops but never made a song and dance about it.
Old Teddy Bears...quite a few on my street. (only Scottish viewers will get that one.)

This second review is the odd one. Rosenthal: Manhood (chess.com and knob jokes?)

Despite everything that's happened, Tom is still talking about his penis. The beaky boy tells you the story of how he spent his life trying to avenge the theft of his foreskin. 'A striking show, raising questions and laughter in equal measure' (Guardian). 'A thoughtful and often hilarious take on a disturbing subject.' (List). 'This is essentially an hour's worth of dick jokes. It is funny, though.' (Metro). As seen on Friday Night Dinner (Channel 4), Plebs (ITV2) and Chess.com (Chess.com). Directed by Jon Brittain

(it's a pity the 10 year olds who would find this kind of guff funny won't be allowed in. )

I'll keep looking.

Joey Stewart

Re: Edinburgh Festival - Fringe 2022 and Chess

Post by Joey Stewart » Tue Jul 26, 2022 8:31 pm

First act sounds potentially interesting, but the second really does sound like the death of comedy - so many comedians now are petrified of their material being remotely 'offensive' that they resort to absolutely base garbage like sex jokes which are only amusing if thrown in as a sudden shock, but basing entire routines around various disgusting perversions has never been funny and really make you wonder if they should be put on some sort of offenders register...
Lose one queen and it is a disaster, Lose 1000 queens and it is just a statistic.

Geoff Chandler

Post by Geoff Chandler » Tue Jul 26, 2022 9:12 pm

Hi Joey,

I might scan the first one. The venue is not far from me.
Check it out, see if the do OAP concessions etc... :)

But the 2nd...the review makes it sound awful. I cannot see the chess.com connection at all.

I'm going and see Tim Vine. Picking up the tickets tomorrow. That is all I have planned so far.

The madness starts soon. 05 – 29 August and I live right in the middle of it.
Already cannot wait till it's all over.

Bob Kane

Post by Bob Kane » Mon Aug 15, 2022 1:46 pm

Geoff,
Chess things at the fringe, Mark Rivlin ex ECF newsletter editor is appearing at the fringe with his Mr. Punman show, ex president CJ Mooj is appearing in his one man show Banana Crabtree Simon, GM J Tisdale is here as a reviewer as am I ! .
All the best

J T Melsom

Post by J T Melsom » Mon Aug 15, 2022 2:00 pm

Bob Kane wrote:
Mon Aug 15, 2022 1:46 pm
Geoff,
Chess things at the fringe, Mark Rivlin ex ECF newsletter editor is appearing at the fringe with his Mr. Punman show, ex president CJ Mooj is appearing in his one man show Banana Crabtree Simon, GM J Tisdale is here as a reviewer as am I ! .
All the best
GM Tisdall not Tisdale I think.

Geoff Chandler

Post by Geoff Chandler » Mon Aug 15, 2022 2:22 pm

Thanks Bob,

I'll look for these.
Seen anything good you can recommend - where are your reviews.
If nothing on pop up to the Edinburgh club tomorrow, 7:30ish, 1 Alva Street.

Geoff