The best training material around non-in person gm

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
AlanLlewellyn

The best training material around non-in person gm

Post by AlanLlewellyn » Fri Jul 22, 2022 12:10 pm

When i say Fritz trainers most people like me assumed they were dvds to up youre fritz engine ability in certain lines or strategies but that is not what fritz trainers are. They are hours of grandmaster and international master video on a certain theme such as world champions endgames or the dragon sicilian. which are given with a chessbase board and if you have chessbase, with the analysis tools it provides. You can be shown an opening preperation and do as i do in using replay training to memorize the line and see what other moves are possible at every stage using the livebook facility the possibilities are endless.

People promise things are the best thing since sliced bread, and i am not on a retainer or sponsorship from chessbase i honestly think these are the best things since sliced bread for cheap self coaching material.

Stephen Westmoreland

Re: The best training material around non-in person gm

Post by Stephen Westmoreland » Sat Jul 23, 2022 10:04 am

It was suggested to me that I studied to understand pawn structures first, then look at complete games from the old masters. I am currently going through Lasker's Manual and Alekhine's games. Enjoying it too.
HDCA President

AlanLlewellyn

Post by AlanLlewellyn » Sat Jul 23, 2022 10:55 am

Stephen Westmoreland wrote:
Sat Jul 23, 2022 10:04 am
It was suggested to me that I studied to understand pawn structures first, then look at complete games from the old masters. I am currently going through Lasker's Manual and Alekhine's games. Enjoying it too.
right first you must understand the theory before adopting openings, lasker is a great place to start as is kmochs book pawn power in chess, i think it is, but nimzowitschs 'my system' and 'chess praxis' are good books to get theory right, as is the think like a grandmaster and play like a grandmaster kotov series

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Sat Jul 23, 2022 11:04 am

AlanLlewellyn wrote:
Sat Jul 23, 2022 10:55 am
right first you must understand the theory before adopting openings
The OP is already a 1850 player, so he must know a thing or two. The trouble with "knowing theory" is that over the years verdicts on positions will change, so sometimes it's necessary to unlearn what you thought were "good" and "bad" moves, particularly in less explored positions.
Last edited by Roger de Coverly on Sat Jul 23, 2022 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Nick Ivell

Post by Nick Ivell » Sat Jul 23, 2022 11:10 am

A lot of good stuff in Nimzowitsch, but his style of writing is not exactly digestible.

Stephen Westmoreland

Post by Stephen Westmoreland » Sat Jul 23, 2022 11:57 am

I am trying to change my play and unlearn to learn. Opening books are down. Despite having very limited time, I am enjoying the deeper look.

Pawn Power in Chess is a good one. Would love to see it with more modern notation!
HDCA President

Joey Stewart

Post by Joey Stewart » Sat Jul 23, 2022 12:18 pm

With limited time I would definitely focus more on middlegames tactics and endgames - unlike opening theory, those are the gift that keeps on giving, able to be applied to just about every game you play
Lose one queen and it is a disaster, Lose 1000 queens and it is just a statistic.

MSoszynski

Post by MSoszynski » Sat Jul 23, 2022 1:54 pm

Stephen Westmoreland wrote:
Sat Jul 23, 2022 11:57 am
I am trying to change my play and unlearn to learn. Opening books are down. Despite having very limited time, I am enjoying the deeper look.

Pawn Power in Chess is a good one. Would love to see it with more modern notation!
There was an algebraic edition in 1990. ISBN 0939298791. Out of print and expensive on the used market.

Stephen Westmoreland

Post by Stephen Westmoreland » Sat Jul 23, 2022 2:25 pm

Hopefully it will be republished in future.
HDCA President