I am actually Welsh

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
AlanLlewellyn

I am actually Welsh

Post by AlanLlewellyn » Wed Jul 13, 2022 12:17 pm

My history of living places is long and varied- I was born in Wales but moved to England aged 1(to Barrow in Cumbria), aged 5 i moved to Argentina when the Labour Government in 1976 decided we would never go to war with them so my dad was sent (with others) to help build frigates and destroyers for them. In 1979 i went back to Wales for a year then moved back to near Barrow where i stayed until 1989 when i moved to dundee as a student in 1990 i moved back to Dalton near Barrow where i stayed until 1996 when i moved to manchester for 3 months after that time i spent time in a hospital in kendal and lancaster then finally moving back to the Barrow area, i spent time in a manchester hospital in 2003-04 but then moved to Barrow proper where i am currently. If you regard yourself as part that nationality as i do for living in a place, i am Welsh, English, Argentinian, Scottish as well as Mancunian, some might say mixed up!!

AlanLlewellyn

Re: I am actually Welsh

Post by AlanLlewellyn » Wed Jul 13, 2022 1:14 pm

I am explaining why I am a Welshman on the English Chess Forum

AlanLlewellyn

Post by AlanLlewellyn » Wed Jul 13, 2022 1:24 pm

I played under the British flag in the isle of Man Masters in 2014 the only time ive had a flag and although i am not English , i am not a true Welshman either so I feel very British.

AlanLlewellyn

Post by AlanLlewellyn » Wed Jul 13, 2022 1:47 pm

Although its likely somewhere i am related to the first prince of wales as llewellyn was his surname (iowerth ap llewellyn) as all true llewellyns in wales were related to him a bit like macdonald in scotland. But my grandmother on my fathers side was from a norman landowners family called the mansel family who owned Margam park near the town of port Talbot, Talbot is actually a close relation from which the town was named after a relation.

AlanLlewellyn

Post by AlanLlewellyn » Thu Jul 14, 2022 9:03 am

when I initially played in a FIDE event they put me down as English but I am not like I have said English though I am part English, I think. So I had them change my nationality to Welsh.

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Thu Jul 14, 2022 10:11 am

For the avoidance of doubt I am neither actually Welsh nor Welsh.

Can someone explain the difference please?
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

AlanLlewellyn

Post by AlanLlewellyn » Thu Jul 14, 2022 10:24 am

John Upham wrote:
Thu Jul 14, 2022 10:11 am
For the avoidance of doubt I am neither actually Welsh nor Welsh.

Can someone explain the difference please?
I dont understand, do you mean i say I am not Welsh to a thread I say I am welsh, i am not Welsh because I havent lived there for years but i have to be something and I am more Welsh than anything else.