media hype or truth???

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
AlanLlewellyn

media hype or truth???

Post by AlanLlewellyn » Mon Jul 11, 2022 1:26 am

The grass arena was the 'story' of John Healy from a book the film was made but its account of a down and out getting his life around by discovering (an showing a talent for)chess was rubbished in the chess circles as John it was said only had a rating in the 130s bcf. alright it must have been hype then you say? but i heared a story of how John beat a FM in 12 moves in a rapidplay event so was there any truth in his talent?

Another story i have been told is from the queen of katawe film that also may have had a little truth to it that people didnt realise. There was a chess media backlash to the film which suggested her talent was hype but i have been told by a canadian im tht she got a draw in regular play against him.
is the chess media backlash unplaced cynicism?

Joey Stewart

Re: media hype or truth???

Post by Joey Stewart » Mon Jul 11, 2022 3:03 am

I don't recall any serious backlash to queen of katawe beyond the glaring ignorance of the game shown by the producers of these films and the seemingly utter randomness of their choice of subjects - making out that WCM is a really mind-blowing achievement when there are many women who are actually grand masters, good GMs at that, who probably also had an interesting life story too and would have every right to feel aggrieved that a nobody is getting all the press.

Not heard of the other film but it does sound like a very similar example of putting nobodies on a pedestal for just playing to an average standard and, by the sounds of it, one freak 'ok' result against a player that a GM would eat for breakfast on a daily basis.

Films like this are why Queens gambit was so well recieved, at least there we could just enjoy the escapism of watching a fictional player who was actually really good as opposed to getting annoyed at the celebration of mediocrity.
Lose one queen and it is a disaster, Lose 1000 queens and it is just a statistic.

LawrenceCooper

Post by LawrenceCooper » Mon Jul 11, 2022 6:43 am

Joey Stewart wrote:
Mon Jul 11, 2022 3:03 am
I don't recall any serious backlash to queen of katawe beyond the glaring ignorance of the game shown by the producers of these films and the seemingly utter randomness of their choice of subjects - making out that WCM is a really mind-blowing achievement when there are many women who are actually grand masters, good GMs at that, who probably also had an interesting life story too and would have every right to feel aggrieved that a nobody is getting all the press.
Emerging from a slum in Uganda to playing in the chess Olympiad and graduating with a bachelor's degree does seem a remarkable rags to riches tale.

AlanLlewellyn

Post by AlanLlewellyn » Mon Jul 11, 2022 7:03 am

LawrenceCooper wrote:
Mon Jul 11, 2022 6:43 am
Joey Stewart wrote:
Emerging from a slum in Uganda to playing in the chess Olympiad and graduating with a bachelor's degree does seem a remarkable rags to riches tale.
Lawrence I completely agree, there is too much rating snobbery and not enough recognition of the disadvantages some of us have in chess.

AlanLlewellyn

Post by AlanLlewellyn » Mon Jul 11, 2022 7:09 am

Also Lawrence, John Healy getting off being a alcoholic on the streets to playing in top tournaments at chess is an astounding feat.

Matt Mackenzie

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Mon Jul 11, 2022 3:40 pm

Even if they weren't super-strong masters, both Healy and Mutesi have highly interesting stories to tell - and ones that show chess in a good light.

That some have rather exaggerated their actual playing strength is unfortunate (but normal when non-players opine about the game)

But it shouldn't really detract from them too much.
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Mon Jul 11, 2022 4:30 pm

Joey Stewart wrote:
I don't recall any serious backlash to queen of katawe beyond the glaring ignorance of the game shown by the producers of these films ...
I had the privilege of watching a preview of Queen of Katwe at the 2016 Sinquefield Cup in St Louis. Several top grandmasters, including Garry Kasparov, were also ai the audience, All those to whom I spoke afterwards were complimentary about the chess content.

AlanLlewellyn

Post by AlanLlewellyn » Tue Jul 12, 2022 1:00 am

Will they make a film out of me i have an interesting story(someone will a debilitating mental illness uses chess to recover) and have played in international tournaments(and lost most my games) i am certainly mediocre enough to have a film devoted LOL

Joey Stewart

Post by Joey Stewart » Tue Jul 12, 2022 1:43 am

That could well be an interesting watch but rather then waiting to be randomly selected by a producer why not beat them to the punch and make your own film documenting your life and chess times which can be uploaded to YouTube - you get full editorial control plus 100% of the rich rewards it will bring.
Lose one queen and it is a disaster, Lose 1000 queens and it is just a statistic.

AlanLlewellyn

Post by AlanLlewellyn » Tue Jul 12, 2022 2:03 am

Joey Stewart wrote:
Tue Jul 12, 2022 1:43 am
That could well be an interesting watch but rather then waiting to be randomly selected by a producer why not beat them to the punch and make your own film documenting your life and chess times which can be uploaded to YouTube - you get full editorial control plus 100% of the rich rewards it will bring.
lol a few problems with that-i dont have any form of video camera not even a smart phone-just two web cams, plus the fact i am talentless at making movies like most people, plus the fact nothing happens in my life ,I mean i actually achieve little.

AlanLlewellyn

Post by AlanLlewellyn » Tue Jul 12, 2022 2:07 am

most of my achievements have been in my own imagination not in the real world.

Joey Stewart

Post by Joey Stewart » Tue Jul 12, 2022 2:11 am

You don't have to achieve much to be a star these days, if you ever listen to the utterly vapid crap that "influencers" spout on social media platforms you'll know what I mean and I reckon your story will be far more interesting - next to them you will look like the second coming of Oscar Wilde!

AlanLlewellyn

Post by AlanLlewellyn » Tue Jul 12, 2022 2:14 am

Joey Stewart wrote:
Tue Jul 12, 2022 2:11 am
You don't have to achieve much to be a star these days, if you ever listen to the utterly vapid crap that "influencers" spout on social media platforms you'll know what I mean and I reckon your story will be far more interesting - next to them you will look like the second coming of Oscar Wilde!
A straight Oscar Wilde I hope!!!! not that i have anything against thespians.

AlanLlewellyn

Post by AlanLlewellyn » Tue Jul 12, 2022 2:16 am

Joey I have tried going on twitch and got 1.5 views on average.

AlanLlewellyn

Post by AlanLlewellyn » Tue Jul 12, 2022 2:22 am

Joey i have a real psychological issue with exhibitionism in that i find it excruciatingly embarrassing-its my problem i know. One of the reasons I like chess so much, is you dont need to be an exhibitionist to express yourself in chess.