Aditya Verma

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Andrew Zigmond

Re: Aditya Verma

Post by Andrew Zigmond » Wed Jul 13, 2022 12:02 am

NickFaulks wrote:
Tue Jul 12, 2022 10:39 pm
JustinHorton wrote:
Tue Jul 12, 2022 1:18 pm
Very indiscriminate use of "abroad" here
AZ has watched Midnight Express and knows what things are like once you're on the wrong side of the English Channel.
On the contrary I have never seen that film. While it is true that Spain is not notorious for human rights abuses being held in police custody for any period of time is not a pleasant experience (and is not intended to be).
Controller - Yorkshire League
Chairman - Harrogate Chess Club
All views expressed entirely my own

Geoff Chandler

Post by Geoff Chandler » Wed Jul 13, 2022 12:48 am

Hi Amdrew,

I'm sure you have Aditya's best interests at heart but I cannot see where else you are coming from.

I can only surmise you saw these racists comments somewhere else, or heard them in person and came here to vent.
Perhaps you thought we had also seen or heard them and wondered why we were not up in arms.
But that is a double assumption on my part. (not seen 'Midnight Express' either, is there any chess in it?)

".. being held in police custody for any period of time is not a pleasant experience."

I have spent the night in a few cells in European countries. (three, Germany, Holland and Denmark)
mostly for D & D. (the German one also included a wee spot of vandalism in 1970 after the 3-2 game. I was 20.)

Recall one night in an Edinburgh cell (over zealous at a poll tax demo - then I was 40!)
Edinburgh was by far the worst. Vile tepid tea, a wooden bed with a wooden pillow, no blanket.
In all cases I was let out with no charge.
(The Germans lads first insisted I pay for a pub window. Then let me go. That was OK by me.)

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Wed Jul 13, 2022 5:50 am

Andrew Zigmond wrote:
Wed Jul 13, 2022 12:02 am
On the contrary I have never seen that film. While it is true that Spain is not notorious for human rights abuses being held in police custody for any period of time is not a pleasant experience (and is not intended to be).
Right, but where were you getting "It's likely that none of the officers spoke English" or the business about the hardened criminals or the food and water?
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

John Hickman

Post by John Hickman » Wed Jul 13, 2022 6:43 am

Geoff Chandler wrote:
Wed Jul 13, 2022 12:48 am

I have spent the night in a few cells in European countries. (three, Germany, Holland and Denmark)
mostly for D & D. (the German one also included a wee spot of vandalism in 1970 after the 3-2 game. I was 20.)
Wow, they really crack down on Dungeons and Dragons players :shock:

Ian Thompson

Post by Ian Thompson » Wed Jul 13, 2022 9:27 am

NickFaulks wrote:
Tue Jul 12, 2022 10:39 pm
JustinHorton wrote:
Tue Jul 12, 2022 1:18 pm
Very indiscriminate use of "abroad" here
AZ has watched Midnight Express and knows what things are like once you're on the wrong side of the English Channel.
Maybe he remembered what happened to Zurab Azmaiparashvili in Spain.

Geoff Chandler

Post by Geoff Chandler » Wed Jul 13, 2022 11:37 am

Hi John,

Not my proudest moments, drink (no excuse) was involved in all cases .
I never could hold my drink (so I started a pub team - Sandy Bells!)

Cannot see where else this thread can go.
The lad in question is home and awaiting news of the outcome.
We could fill it up with silly things we did when we were young but I would win.
(I would also win if we raised the confessional age to 30, 40, 50, 60 and 70.)

or we could nit-pick the thread : viewtopic.php?f=2&t=12832&p=283812&hili ... le#p283812
Rather a funny one that. Matt's spellchecker has 'corrected it' to the name of spelling board game.

Matt Bridgeman

Post by Matt Bridgeman » Wed Jul 13, 2022 2:06 pm

Usually it's bad spelling through quick typing on an iPhone :oops:

I'm sure you're right, nothing will happen for weeks. It's interesting the Spanish authorities chose 'Raising a False Alert' as their offence, which actually has a penalty of upto 18 months imprisonment attached. One report (TDPel Media) states what he actually texted on Snapchat was not the much-repeated Taliban line but, 'This plane is going up in flames. I am an Afghan.'

Touch wood the case will return to the UK and get a no further action decision. On the horror story side, I recall the Scottish boxer, Scott Harrison having a torrid time with the Spanish authorities after being accused of assault in Malaga. Initially remanded for a few months, sentenced to 4 years, then allowed to return to Scotland free while he appealed, eventually losing the appeal and having to report to prison in the UK to serve out the full sentence.

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Wed Jul 13, 2022 2:49 pm

Matt Bridgeman wrote:
Wed Jul 13, 2022 2:06 pm
One report (TDPel Media) states what he actually texted on Snapchat was not the much-repeated Taliban line but, 'This plane is going up in flames. I am an Afghan.'
That's not a proper news report if you look at it. My guess is that it's been translated (or maybe even reverse-translated) from a Spanish report. (EDIT: on inspection it's just been ripped directly off this Mail piece.)
Matt Bridgeman wrote:
Wed Jul 13, 2022 2:06 pm
It's interesting the Spanish authorities chose 'Raising a False Alert' as their offence, which actually has a penalty of upto 18 months imprisonment attached
For what it's worth, prison sentences here of less than two years are rarely served for a first offence.
"Do you play chess?"

lostontime.blogspot.com

Geoff Chandler

Post by Geoff Chandler » Wed Jul 13, 2022 3:05 pm

Hi Matt,

I'm really the last one to be making fun of others spelling milkshakes.

Think it's best to wait to see what the Spanish authorities do.
This case has a few extenuating circumstances for them to consider.

Tim Harding

Post by Tim Harding » Thu Jul 14, 2022 12:54 pm

Geoff Chandler wrote:
Wed Jul 13, 2022 3:05 pm
Hi Matt,
Think it's best to wait to see what the Spanish authorities do.
This case has a few extenuating circumstances for them to consider.
If the report in The Times a couple of days is correct, he has been sent home with just a rap over the knuckles (metaphorically). So basically it seems his story has been accepted.
Whether his parents will have to pay for the scrambling of the fighter jets was not said in the paper I read.
Tim Harding
Historian and FIDE Arbiter

Author of 'Steinitz in London,' British Chess Literature to 1914', 'Joseph Henry Blackburne: A Chess Biography', and 'Eminent Victorian Chess Players'
http://www.chessmail.com

Matt Bridgeman

Post by Matt Bridgeman » Sun Jul 17, 2022 12:21 pm

And back playing this weekend in London; http://chess-results.com/tnr653353.aspx ... g=30&snr=3

Andrew Zigmond

Post by Andrew Zigmond » Sun Jul 17, 2022 12:57 pm

Good for him.
Controller - Yorkshire League
Chairman - Harrogate Chess Club
All views expressed entirely my own

Geoff Chandler

Post by Geoff Chandler » Sun Jul 17, 2022 1:37 pm

That is good news - Good Luck mate.

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Sun Jul 17, 2022 2:46 pm

One curiosity about the story from my point of view is learning that it costs - or they reckon it costs - 43 thousand euros to put a plane in the air from Zaragoza. I often work in schools in the part of Zaragoza nearest to the airbase (it's the same thing as the international airport, as it happens) and frequently have to stop while there are planes overhead (more frequently than ever, recently). I guess when it happens in future I will always think of the figure 43 thousand euros.
"Do you play chess?"

lostontime.blogspot.com

Reg Clucas

Post by Reg Clucas » Mon Jan 22, 2024 3:55 pm