Harrogate Chess Club - end of an era

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Andrew Zigmond

Harrogate Chess Club - end of an era

Post by Andrew Zigmond » Tue Jun 28, 2022 10:45 am

I wouldn't normally post here about a local event but I thought this deserved mention.

After 35 years and possibly longer Harrogate Chess Club have been given notice to quit Apley Grange, formerly the Convent Of The Holy Child Jesus, as the site is being developed and they can no longer host groups. We marked our last ever session there last night with an informal rapidplay that attracted a whopping 30 entrants, including guests from the Ilkley Chess Centre and six juniors, some of whom had never played in an event like this before.

So farewell to the nunnery and at least I'm spared any more "nuns on the run" jokes about our venue. What follows is an internal matter for the club but we have three taster nights lined up at potential venues at which point a general meeting will make the decision as to where we resume play in September.
Controller - Yorkshire League
Chairman - Harrogate Chess Club
All views expressed entirely my own

John Upham

Re: Harrogate Chess Club - end of an era

Post by John Upham » Tue Jun 28, 2022 10:57 am

Andrew Zigmond wrote:
Tue Jun 28, 2022 10:45 am
I wouldn't normally post here about a local event but I thought this deserved mention.

After 35 years and possibly longer Harrogate Chess Club have been given notice to quit Apley Grange, formerly the Convent Of The Holy Child Jesus, as the site is being developed and they can no longer host groups. We marked our last ever session there last night with an informal rapidplay that attracted a whopping 30 entrants, including guests from the Ilkley Chess Centre and six juniors, some of whom had never played in an event like this before.

So farewell to the nunnery and at least I'm spared any more "nuns on the run" jokes about our venue. What follows is an internal matter for the club but we have three taster nights lined up at potential venues at which point a general meeting will make the decision as to where we resume play in September.
The best of luck in securing a new venue. It is an opportunity to secure much publicity and PR.
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D