Playing abroad

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Jon Underwood

Playing abroad

Post by Jon Underwood » Wed Jun 22, 2022 9:02 am

Does anyone have any advice on where to look for suitable overseas events? The FIDE calendar seems to be virtually unused.

Matthew Turner

Re: Playing abroad

Post by Matthew Turner » Wed Jun 22, 2022 9:10 am

If you want to not miss anything then you can try here https://chess-calendar.eu/ but it takes quite a bit of wading through.

Ian Thompson

Post by Ian Thompson » Wed Jun 22, 2022 10:08 am

Jon Underwood wrote:
Wed Jun 22, 2022 9:02 am
Does anyone have any advice on where to look for suitable overseas events? The FIDE calendar seems to be virtually unused.
I'm surprised you say that for the FIDE calendar. I find it a good source for European tournaments, but not much use for elsewhere in the world.

The Week in Chess has a decent list. Note the link is for the 20 June edition, so will be out-of-date by next week.

As Matthew says https://chess-calendar.eu/ is comprehensive, but difficult to navigate. It's worth looking at the "Source" fields for their listings and going directly to them to get an easier to read list of tournaments. e.g. chess-results.com/Kalender gives you another lengthy list of tournaments. You'll also find links to several national federation websites there if you're interested in specific countries.

Tim Harding

Post by Tim Harding » Wed Jun 22, 2022 10:30 am

If you were born in 1972 or earlier, you are eligible for 50+ tournaments even if your 50th birthday falls later this year.
For 65+ tournaments the eligibility year is 1957. Every 1 January these change of course.

Germany is the country where the majority of these events are played.

For some years I have been running a senior tournament calendar at http://www.chessmail.com/seniors/Seniors-calendar.html
Tim Harding
Historian and FIDE Arbiter

Author of 'Steinitz in London,' British Chess Literature to 1914', 'Joseph Henry Blackburne: A Chess Biography', and 'Eminent Victorian Chess Players'
http://www.chessmail.com

Tim Spanton

Post by Tim Spanton » Wed Jun 22, 2022 12:11 pm

I tried to answer this question at my blog. Don't know how to post a link via my phone(!), but the post was on May 31: Where In The World?

Tim Spanton

Post by Tim Spanton » Wed Jun 22, 2022 2:20 pm

Thanks.

I can copy a link via my phone but have no idea how to ctrl-v it ...

David Gilbert

Post by David Gilbert » Wed Jun 22, 2022 3:07 pm

Tim Harding’s calendar is a good place to start if you’re a senior (50+).

I’d recommend the Amateur Chess Organisation’s (ACO) tournaments. Next up is the ACO’s World Seniors at the fabulous (all-inclusive) Fodele Beach Resort & Water Park on the Island of Crete between 1 & 10 October 2022. Currently 191 entries. Seven sections with two-hundred point rating bands. You’d play in Group B (2001-2200). There are two registrations from your neck of the woods - Clifford Peach (Group E) and Tony Tatum (Group F), both have been before. Tim Spanton was one of the first to come out of lockdown to play at the Seniors in June last year. We’re waiting to hear about the ACO’s 2023 programme but there’s a good chance they’ll be returning to Kos for their World Amateur Championships in May. During each tournament there are two evening blitz competitions, Daniel King is one of three GMs who come along to help the amateurs in the analysis area, as well as giving a simul and running lectures. Some people seem to be playing chess all day and most of the night!

If I don’t mention this someone else will. FIDE does not recognise the ACO because it offers its winners “World Champion” titles (and very smart trophies too) and so does not accept games for rating purposes. If you need more information check out the ACO website https://amateurchess.com/senior/

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Wed Jun 22, 2022 4:15 pm

David Gilbert wrote:
Wed Jun 22, 2022 3:07 pm
If I don’t mention this someone else will. FIDE does not recognise the ACO because it offers its winners “World Champion” titles (and very smart trophies too) and so does not accept games for rating purposes.
As you have mentioned it, I won't add anything.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Wed Jun 22, 2022 5:49 pm

David Gilbert wrote:
FIDE does not recognise the ACO because it offers its winners “World Champion” titles ... and so does not accept games for rating purposes
It is quite possible that FIDE would rate them nowadays, but the fact is that ACO has built up a regular clientele which is at best indifferent towards having their "holiday games" FIDE rated.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Jon Underwood

Post by Jon Underwood » Wed Jun 22, 2022 8:23 pm

Thanks everyone that is all very helpful.

Phil Neatherway

Post by Phil Neatherway » Thu Jun 23, 2022 8:04 am

The French Chess Federation has quite a good calendar.

http://www.echecs.asso.fr/Tournois.aspx

Have a look at Les Annonces de Tournois.

I have played in a few French tournaments and have always been made very welcome.

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Thu Jun 23, 2022 8:18 am

"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

Tim Spanton

Post by Tim Spanton » Thu Jun 23, 2022 1:06 pm

NickFaulks wrote:
Wed Jun 22, 2022 5:49 pm
David Gilbert wrote:
FIDE does not recognise the ACO because it offers its winners “World Champion” titles ... and so does not accept games for rating purposes
It is quite possible that FIDE would rate them nowadays, but the fact is that ACO has built up a regular clientele which is at best indifferent towards having their "holiday games" FIDE rated.
I played in one ACO event (on Crete, during the pandemic) and found it very good, if rather expensive. Having the games Fide-rated would make me more likely to return.

Jon Hill

Post by Jon Hill » Sun Jul 03, 2022 5:49 pm

Jon Underwood wrote:
Wed Jun 22, 2022 9:02 am
Hi Jon,

The 46th Guernsey International Chess Festival is taking place between 16 - 22 October 2022, if you are still looking for tournaments to participate in.

Details are at https://guernseychessfestival.org.gg/

Cheers,

Jon