Kasparov and the Ukraine War

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
MJMcCready

Re: Kasparov and the Ukraine War

Post by MJMcCready » Sat Apr 09, 2022 10:09 am

Well like I said, if you understood the significance of ethnicity in the region he was born in you would know why that won't be the case. It's an adopted nationality and only westerners buy into that. You should know that he real name isn't actually Kasparov, and that his real name sheds light on the issue at hand.

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Sat Apr 09, 2022 12:56 pm

MJMcCready wrote:
Sat Apr 09, 2022 10:09 am
Well like I said, if you understood the significance of ethnicity in the region he was born in you would know why that won't be the case. It's an adopted nationality and only westerners buy into that. You should know that he real name isn't actually Kasparov, and that his real name sheds light on the issue at hand.
He says he's Russian. You (as far as one can tell) appear to be saying he shouldn't be regarded as Russian. Do we have this right?
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

Matt Mackenzie

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Sat Apr 09, 2022 4:33 pm

His name *is* Kasparov and has been since he was a young boy. He grew up in Baku, but never identified as from that country.

(if you want the most accurate description of him, Russo-Armenian Jew probably covers the bases)
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)

Geoff Chandler

Post by Geoff Chandler » Sat Apr 09, 2022 5:04 pm

Hi Matt,

Sounds about right.

"...although I'm half-Armenian, half-Jewish, I consider myself Russian because Russian is my native tongue, and I grew up with Russian culture."

Early Life and Career section of Gary's Wiki page.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Garry_Kasparov

MJMcCready

Post by MJMcCready » Sat Apr 09, 2022 5:22 pm

Ah well there you are then. Self-promotion does determine nationality after all.

Roger Lancaster

Post by Roger Lancaster » Thu Apr 21, 2022 4:58 am

From https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/world-europe-61157670 which has a video interview
Putin critic says Wimbledon ban 'correct decision'
Russian chess grandmaster Garry Kasparov says the decision to ban Russian and Belarussian players from Wimbledon is the right one.

Speaking earlier to BBC World News, the long-time Putin critic said sport and politics are intertwined, and that the Russian leader loves sports "like every dictator before him".

"I hope we can recover from the loss of our prestige and honour, but it should happen after Putin."

As we reported earlier, the ban has been criticised by the ATP and the WTA, the bodies that govern men's and women's tournaments.

Paul McKeown

Post by Paul McKeown » Thu Apr 21, 2022 5:14 pm

It really is clueless, insulting and inhumane to suggest that Kasparov is an Azeri or should have any feelings of warmth whatsoever towards the country, or that he should represent Azerbaijan, as a chess player or administrator. He had to flee that country, taking his entire family, all the living generations, with him in the middle of a bloody and murderous pogrom against real and suspected Armenians, leaving behind memories, generations passed on and personal property. I remember discussing this with a noted Azeri player, who said that at a personal level he was friends with Kasparov and respected him, but recognised that many of his compatriots simply hated him with an animal fury for no reason other than his descent, as both Armenian and Jew.

Matt Mackenzie

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Thu Apr 21, 2022 6:14 pm

Of course he did represent Azerbaijan in Soviet-era team events.

He certainly had nothing against them until, as you say, he was forced out.

The idea that its just "self promotion" behind his changing his nationality is beyond laughable.
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)