Chess Questions in Quiz Programmes

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
John Upham

Re: Chess Questions in Quiz Programmes

Post by John Upham » Thu Jun 16, 2022 10:32 am

Joey Stewart wrote:
Thu Jun 16, 2022 10:29 am
The chase are making their chess questions a lot harder lately - I saw a question last night which was something like "which two pieces can never be one square adjacent to each other" and felt that not only was it badly worded but you also needed to actually play the game to know that kings can't go near each other rather then just have cursory knowledge of the game good enough to get you through a quiz show.
The Kings may be placed next to each other on a DGT board at the conclusion of the game. Did they ask if it was during the game?
Last edited by John Upham on Thu Jun 16, 2022 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

Joey Stewart

Post by Joey Stewart » Thu Jun 16, 2022 12:01 pm

I highly doubt they knew about dgt boards, but I guess since any other piece can legally be placed next to each other at any point the king is the only one that is even open to contention. It would have been funny to have a contestant who knew about kings being opposed to indicate a result argue that the question is wrong and embarrass the show (although even if you did succeed I imagine the chasers would punish such pedantry with an especially low offer)
Lose one queen and it is a disaster, Lose 1000 queens and it is just a statistic.

Geoff Chandler

Post by Geoff Chandler » Thu Jun 16, 2022 12:09 pm

I recall Danny was on the Chase.

viewtopic.php?t=5933#p124668

Ian Thompson

Post by Ian Thompson » Thu Jun 16, 2022 12:38 pm

John Upham wrote:
Thu Jun 16, 2022 10:32 am
Joey Stewart wrote:
Thu Jun 16, 2022 10:29 am
The chase are making their chess questions a lot harder lately - I saw a question last night which was something like "which two pieces can never be one square adjacent to each other" and felt that not only was it badly worded but you also needed to actually play the game to know that kings can't go near each other rather then just have cursory knowledge of the game good enough to get you through a quiz show.
The Kings may be placed next to each other on a DGT board at the conclusion of the game. Did they ask if it was during the game?
Unless the question was qualified by saying the position had to be legal, the answer is none because rapidplay games can include illegal positions if not observed by the arbiter or claimed by a player.

Matt Mackenzie

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Thu Jun 16, 2022 3:11 pm

Well tbh one expects that "in a LEGAL position" doesn't really need spelling out.
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)

John Clarke

Post by John Clarke » Thu Jun 16, 2022 11:09 pm

As Joey says, the question was badly worded - why not just say " .... never be on adjacent squares"?

I think even pedants would accept it refers to when you're playing a game, not reporting its result (which is all the DGT board business really is).

Tip: never embarrass the show's host or producers unnecessarily. It's OK to pursue a legitimate error or query, but trying to be a smartarse for the sake of it, or capping Bradley's quips more than once, is unlikely to go down well in the end.
"The chess-board is the world ..... the player on the other side is hidden from us ..... he never overlooks a mistake, or makes the smallest allowance for ignorance."
(He doesn't let you resign and start again, either.)

Neville Twitchell

Post by Neville Twitchell » Sun Jun 19, 2022 1:11 am

There was a chess themed question (or rather, given the format of the quiz, a chess themed answer) on "Round Britain Quiz" yesterday (Saturday) evening; the common factor being chess openings: The Queens Gambit, Scotch, Sicilian and Dragon. The team found their way, slightly uncertainly, to the answer, though displaying less than total familiarity by referring to them at one point (I think) as chess moves or strategies, and neither question-master nor competitors (if I recall correctly) seemed to be fully aware that one of the openings was really a variation of one of the others. I am not completely certain because I confess I was not paying 100% attention, playing online at the same time as listening :D . There was a subsequent question that also featured a chess answer (namely grandmaster) though here the common theme was 'grand' not chess.

Paul Habershon

Post by Paul Habershon » Mon Jun 20, 2022 8:55 am

:oops:
John Clarke wrote:
Thu Jun 16, 2022 11:09 pm

Tip: never embarrass the show's host or producers unnecessarily. It's OK to pursue a legitimate error or query, but trying to be a smartarse for the sake of it, or capping Bradley's quips more than once, is unlikely to go down well in the end.
Most similar shows are pre-recorded, so editing will take care of anything untoward.

However, in 2007 I appeared on one of the last editions of 'Brainteaser', a live Channel 5 lunchtime quiz programme. 'Brainteaser' and other shows were about to be pulled because of a scandal about mid-programme competitions for viewers, who could text answers to a simple question at a cost. The company was still allowing people to text in after a winner had been selected.

I have heard 'repartee' defined as an amusing remark which you think of later. On my show the viewers' question was something to do with the film 'Titanic'. To give them a hint (perhaps to increase the number of texted answers) the producer got me to stand behind the diminutive and very attractive presenter, Alex Lovell, in the classic pose on the bow of the Titanic. I could so easily have looked down over her shoulder and said 'Beautiful icebergs, darling'. I don't know if they had some sort of delay button to prevent undesirable remarks being broadcast on a live show.

I still cringe at my subsequent failure to win £3000. Dave Ledger had easily pocketed the prize on a previous show. I had beaten the other three contestants to have go at the final 'pyramid'. They show you a three-letter word then give you an extra letter, in its correct position, to combine with the original three letters to make a four-letter word. You had 45 seconds to reach an eight-letter word. After each successful answer the clock is paused and you can either take the money offered at that point or try for more money at the next level. If you fail to answer correctly at any point you get a consolation prize of £100.

I was given ODE then - - V -, so DOVE, then - I - - -, so VIDEO, then
- - - C - -, so VOICED. At this point I had used only 6 seconds of the 45 and could have walked away with £1500. You can probably understand why I fancied my chances of £3000. Then - - - - R - - and my brain must have gone haywire. I couldn't get the nonsensical VICEROD out of my mind. My experience of chess time trouble was no help and I could not see the word in 39 seconds. I am sure most of you will get it within that time, but, as is often said, the pressure is greater on live TV. Incidentally the eight-letter word was - - S - - - - - .

Oh well, I got £100 and I still have the Brainteaser mug.