So this new mask mandate...

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
NickFaulks

Re: So this new mask mandate...

Post by NickFaulks » Thu Dec 09, 2021 1:40 pm

Joseph Conlon wrote:
Thu Dec 09, 2021 1:06 pm
I do develop a certain irritation with the large number of bio/public health folk with habits of taking exponentials (which arise from solving a linear equation) and blithely extrapolating them without considering the non-linear effects that always come in.
Ah, you're sounding like a boring scientist. The Government knows that will never get onto the front page of the Daily Express, so much prefers to take its advice from "social scientists" who neither understand nor have any time for such technicalities.
Last edited by NickFaulks on Thu Dec 09, 2021 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Matt Mackenzie

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Thu Dec 09, 2021 2:13 pm

Its very possible that Omicron emerged some time before it was actually "discovered", no?

Which makes the "its still too soon to see any major bad effects emerge" argument a bit more problematic.
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)

Chris Goodall

Post by Chris Goodall » Thu Dec 09, 2021 3:51 pm

Matt Mackenzie wrote:
Thu Dec 09, 2021 2:13 pm
Its very possible that Omicron emerged some time before it was actually "discovered", no?

Which makes the "its still too soon to see any major bad effects emerge" argument a bit more problematic.
Not really, you could say the same about SARS-CoV-2 in general.
Donate to Sabrina's fundraiser at https://gofund.me/aeae42c7 to support victims of sexual abuse in the chess world.

Northumberland webmaster, Jesmond CC something-or-other. Views mine. Definitely below the Goodall Line.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Thu Dec 09, 2021 4:38 pm

The information I'm getting from the Community Centre where we meet is
From Friday 10th December (tomorrow) it is a legal requirement to wear face coverings in community buildings
Exceptions apply to the bar (a separate room) and exercising or singing.

I could imagine most venues used for serious play would be classified as "community buildings".

It goes on to say
The capacity of the Community Centre is not large enough to trigger any of the thresholds for the requirement for people to have to use the NHS Pass. Therefore NHS Pass is NOT required for any activities at the Centre.
I'm not sure what that level is and whether any Congress or 4NCL venues would exceed it. Excluding the bar area, maximum seating capacity at our venue would be around 150 over two rooms.

Nick Burrows

Post by Nick Burrows » Thu Dec 09, 2021 4:57 pm

Roger de Coverly wrote:
Thu Dec 09, 2021 4:38 pm
I'm not sure what that level is and whether any Congress or 4NCL venues would exceed it. Excluding the bar area, maximum seating capacity at our venue would be around 150 over two rooms.
While the original plan B envisaged only vaccination being allowed, Johnson said people will also be able to show evidence of a recent negative lateral flow test – some MPs and ministers were known to be wary of vaccine-only certificates.

These will be mandatory for nightclubs or other large crowded spaces. They will be needed for all unseated indoor venues with a capacity of 500 or more; all unseated outdoor venues of 4,000 or more; or any venue, seated or not, which contain 10,000 or more, meaning they will be needed for football stadiums and other mass sports venues.

Stephen Westmoreland

Post by Stephen Westmoreland » Thu Dec 09, 2021 5:26 pm

Looks like it is OK for seated areas under 10,000 people. If no seats, passports are needed for over for 500 people. That is a little ridiculous (chairs prevent COVID for under 10,000 people) but at least I don't have to wear a mask if I sing during my game (unless I play in a pub, then I do not need to sing).
HDCA President

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Thu Dec 09, 2021 5:29 pm

Nick Burrows wrote:
Thu Dec 09, 2021 4:57 pm
They will be needed for all unseated indoor venues with a capacity of 500 or more
Cue arguments about which set of rules an indoor venue which sometimes has seating would follow. Conference centres, sports halls, school halls and exhibition spaces are also used for larger chess events.

MartinCarpenter

Post by MartinCarpenter » Thu Dec 09, 2021 7:11 pm

Singing? Basically a truly terrible idea right now, sadly. Amazed the various things aren't clearer about that.

Scotland is saying to cancel Xmas parties and similar things, I see. They're the people I've been tending to pay more attention to - they've always seemed much closer to making coherent sense.