So this new mask mandate...

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Chris Goodall

Re: So this new mask mandate...

Post by Chris Goodall » Mon Dec 06, 2021 3:45 pm

Joseph Conlon wrote:
Mon Dec 06, 2021 9:55 am
Chris Goodall wrote:
Sun Dec 05, 2021 11:42 pm
Hence, I think the ECF needs to update its CoViD advice page to say "please wear masks in chess clubs".

It's not being authoritarian, because anyone who feels strongly that it's their right to ignore government guidance will presumably feel just as casual about ECF guidance.
Having a right to ignore government guidance seems a pretty good definition of not living in an authoritarian state.

I don't really see why you feel your approach isn't authoritarian. There is a whole nuance of social interaction (how crowded a room is? how old are the participants? 'Prefer not to wear a mask but happy to do so if the opponent wishes') that gets knocked out of the way - for whom? Why does the ECF need to take a position on the playing conditions and social preferences of players in every chess club in the country?
Because it is a coordination problem - the stable solution is for everyone to wear a mask, because no-one stays at home to avoid people with masks on, but some people stay at home to avoid people without masks on.

And because they have a page on their website called "Covid-19 guidance".

If mask-wearing is an obligation not subject to nuances, then you avoid "damn, an old person came into the room, guess we've all got to put our masks on now 🙄"
Donate to Sabrina's fundraiser at https://gofund.me/aeae42c7 to support victims of sexual abuse in the chess world.

Northumberland webmaster, Jesmond CC something-or-other. Views mine. Definitely below the Goodall Line.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Mon Dec 06, 2021 4:20 pm

Chris Goodall wrote:
Mon Dec 06, 2021 3:45 pm
but some people stay at home to avoid people without masks on.
I think you are missing the set of people who stay at home to avoid needing to wear a mask.

Given that it's allegedly endemic in schools, a policy of children avoidance also sounds good,

Stephen Westmoreland

Post by Stephen Westmoreland » Mon Dec 06, 2021 4:28 pm

Probably safer to go near as most kids have had it by me.
HDCA President

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Mon Dec 06, 2021 4:36 pm

Roger de Coverly wrote:
Mon Dec 06, 2021 4:20 pm
Chris Goodall wrote:
Mon Dec 06, 2021 3:45 pm
but some people stay at home to avoid people without masks on.
I think you are missing the set of people who stay at home to avoid needing to wear a mask.

Given that it's allegedly endemic in schools, a policy of children avoidance also sounds good,
My daughter is back at college today, with the school now mandating mask wearing apart form when sitting down in a classroom; on Wednesday, Y13 start a period of study at home until their Mocks on 17 December; I'm not sure this is a coherent strategy, but estimated cases have plummeted in Bolton since half-term (although we now have at least 3 identified cases of Omicron, one at a primary school, so things might change again quickly)

I'd be astonished about people not going out as they have to wear masks, as they're not all wearing them in shops and supermarkets in my experience despite it now being compulsory. but it may be different in your neck of the woods
Any postings on here represent my personal views

Stephen Westmoreland

Post by Stephen Westmoreland » Mon Dec 06, 2021 5:40 pm

Mick - Bolton has had high case rates throughout, as has the area I live in. I suspect rates are falling because COVID has gone through the schools and the level of natural immunity as a result. My areas is back in the light blue on the map.

I too would be surprised if people are not going out as they have to wear masks. Amazon, online shopping and a mask free pub/restaurant/cafe trip are all viable! Or just not wearing a mask, as I see people doing.
HDCA President

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Mon Dec 06, 2021 6:06 pm

Stephen Westmoreland wrote:
Mon Dec 06, 2021 5:40 pm
Mick - Bolton has had high case rates throughout, as has the area I live in. I suspect rates are falling because COVID has gone through the schools and the level of natural immunity as a result.
I believe the UK is the sole country where only vaccination is accepted, and antibodies obtained from getting Covid don't count.

I would be sorry to think that this might have anything to do with money.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Stephen Westmoreland

Post by Stephen Westmoreland » Mon Dec 06, 2021 6:49 pm

I think it counts as a booster these days. Sure I read somewhere that it counts from when I got it. Maybe confusing what they are saying on the continent.
HDCA President

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Mon Dec 06, 2021 7:14 pm

Mon Dec 06, 2021 6:49 pm
Maybe confusing what they are saying on the continent.
No, in the EU a recent infection is as good as vaccination - which of course it should be.

What could counting as a booster mean here? There is as yet no requirement to have a booster.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Stephen Westmoreland

Post by Stephen Westmoreland » Mon Dec 06, 2021 7:34 pm

Not yet. The Government are edging towards more restrictions or letting new rules out on the sly. They also may want to hold a legal Downing Street Party this year .. see what happens on the 18th.
HDCA President

Reg Clucas

Post by Reg Clucas » Mon Dec 06, 2021 7:50 pm

NickFaulks wrote:
Sun Dec 05, 2021 10:53 pm
Chris Goodall wrote:
Sun Dec 05, 2021 9:18 pm
Supermarkets not enforcing the rules is about keeping their staff safe from assault.
No, it's about not losing their customers to competitors.
For some customers it could have the reverse effect.

Richard Bates

Post by Richard Bates » Mon Dec 06, 2021 8:12 pm

NickFaulks wrote:
Mon Dec 06, 2021 7:14 pm
Mon Dec 06, 2021 6:49 pm
Maybe confusing what they are saying on the continent.
No, in the EU a recent infection is as good as vaccination - which of course it should be.

What could counting as a booster mean here? There is as yet no requirement to have a booster.
I’m not entirely sure that the basis for including (recent) infection is because it is as good as vaccination. It may also be because you aren’t supposed to receive vaccinations within a certain period of (proven) infection. There is also a complication that people are advised not to take tests during the “recovery period” because of the risk of testing positive without being infectious.

But the bottom line, it seems to me is that this thread has been created on the belief that something changed for chess (and similar) events on 30th November. It didn’t. The guidance after November 30th was the same as the guidance before. The only thing that changed was the law, and the change in the law did not impact on the vast majority of chess events - outside of eg. Malcolm holding publicity events at Waterloo station...

Stephen Westmoreland

Post by Stephen Westmoreland » Tue Dec 07, 2021 12:03 am

Don't test for 3 month according to the many calls from Track and Trace. Think it is the same for a vaccine booster, although I am unsure of the need post infection. Moot point for now.
HDCA President

Chris Goodall

Post by Chris Goodall » Wed Dec 08, 2021 6:56 pm

And so, plan B. Masks mandatory indoors from Friday, with certain exceptions.

Are we still fine with chess club playing areas exploiting the hospitality loophole to cover areas whose primary purpose is playing games?

Come on ECF - you need to get ahead of this one. Don't wait for a super-spreader event to be traced to an unmasked club night.
Donate to Sabrina's fundraiser at https://gofund.me/aeae42c7 to support victims of sexual abuse in the chess world.

Northumberland webmaster, Jesmond CC something-or-other. Views mine. Definitely below the Goodall Line.

Stephen Westmoreland

Post by Stephen Westmoreland » Wed Dec 08, 2021 7:10 pm

It is for clubs and leagues to decide Chris. In our venue (pub) now as it happens.
HDCA President

Matt Mackenzie

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Wed Dec 08, 2021 7:12 pm

Yes, we're mostly fine with it thanks. It is increasingly obvious that this SCARY NEW VARIANT! WOOOOO!!! is no worse than a bad cold.
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)