So this new mask mandate...

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Matt Bridgeman

Re: So this new mask mandate...

Post by Matt Bridgeman » Wed Dec 08, 2021 7:15 pm

Stephen Westmoreland wrote:
Wed Dec 08, 2021 7:10 pm
It is for clubs and leagues to decide Chris. In our venue (pub) now as it happens.
It seemed pretty clear. Wear a mask unless it’s impractical for eating, drinking, singing, exercising, etc. It’s not impractical for playing chess. I presume any chess events from Saturday onwards like the London Chess Classic would legally have to follow the new laws.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Wed Dec 08, 2021 7:38 pm

Chris Goodall wrote:
Wed Dec 08, 2021 6:56 pm
Come on ECF - you need to get ahead of this one. Don't wait for a super-spreader event to be traced to an unmasked club night.
I hope that the ECF would have more integrity than to wreck chess on the basis of the political calculations of a vile and mendacious pathological dictator. His attitude throughout the press conference was "you all know I'm lying, I know you know I'm lying and you know what else? I've always got away with it, I'll get away it this time and I don't give a ****".

Our PM has administered the most corrupt and incompetent UK Government in living memory. The only area on which he has a bit of public positive opinion - albeit reducing - is that some people still fall for the line that he has saved us from Covid. If Covid is allowed to go away, the headlines on matters which replace it will be 100% negative, because how would they not be?

Nobody in the UK has had more than sniffles from Omicron. Despite what you read in the UK press, the word from South Africa is similar. Is it understood that no matter how many times you double zero, it is still zero?
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Matt Bridgeman

Post by Matt Bridgeman » Wed Dec 08, 2021 7:47 pm

NickFaulks wrote:
Wed Dec 08, 2021 7:38 pm
Chris Goodall wrote:
Come on ECF - you need to get ahead of this one. Don't wait for a super-spreader event to be traced to an unmasked club night.
I hope that the ECF would have more integrity than to wreck chess on the basis of the political calculations of a vile and mendacious pathological dictator. His attitude throughout the press conference was "you all know I'm lying, I know you know I'm lying and you know what else? I've always got away with it, I'll get away it this time and I don't give a ****".

Our PM has administered the most corrupt and incompetent UK Government in living memory. The only area on which he has a bit of public positive opinion - albeit reducing - is that some people still fall for the line that he has saved us from Covid. If Covid is allowed to go away, the headlines on matters which replace it will be 100% negative, because how would they not be?

Nobody in the UK has had more than sniffles from Omicron. Despite what you read in the UK press, the word from South Africa is similar. Is it understood that no matter how many times you double zero, it is still zero?
South Africa had 20,000 cases today, and it’s still rising fast. I think if you fast forward 4 weeks from now the damage is definitely not going to be zero.

Chris Goodall

Post by Chris Goodall » Wed Dec 08, 2021 7:51 pm

Masks are not going to wreck chess, Nick. If you're moving the pieces with your mouth, you're doing it wrong.

Are you telling us that Boris's corrupt and incompetent government is competent enough to deliberately fail to make CoViD go away, but also keep it at a manageable enough level that people keep talking about how Boris has made CoViD go away?
Donate to Sabrina's fundraiser at https://gofund.me/aeae42c7 to support victims of sexual abuse in the chess world.

Northumberland webmaster, Jesmond CC something-or-other. Views mine. Definitely below the Goodall Line.

Andy Stoker

Post by Andy Stoker » Wed Dec 08, 2021 9:03 pm

We should be aware that most of the SA data is from infections of a relatively young population - significantly younger than the UK population in general - and the chess playing population in particular - though I live in hope that the predictions of a mild illness only from omicron are borne out in practice.

Richard Bates

Post by Richard Bates » Wed Dec 08, 2021 9:18 pm

Chris Goodall wrote:
And so, plan B. Masks mandatory indoors from Friday, with certain exceptions.

Are we still fine with chess club playing areas exploiting the hospitality loophole to cover areas whose primary purpose is playing games?

What jurisdiction does the ECF have in these matters anyway (outside of its own events)?

Richard Bates

Post by Richard Bates » Wed Dec 08, 2021 9:20 pm

Matt Bridgeman wrote:
Wed Dec 08, 2021 7:15 pm
Stephen Westmoreland wrote:
Wed Dec 08, 2021 7:10 pm
It is for clubs and leagues to decide Chris. In our venue (pub) now as it happens.
It seemed pretty clear. Wear a mask unless it’s impractical for eating, drinking, singing, exercising, etc. It’s not impractical for playing chess. I presume any chess events from Saturday onwards like the London Chess Classic would legally have to follow the new laws.
Some of the players are at work.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Wed Dec 08, 2021 9:45 pm

Matt Bridgeman wrote:
Wed Dec 08, 2021 7:47 pm
South Africa had 20,000 cases today, and it’s still rising fast.
A "case" appears to consist of a mildly runny nose, and the only reason they are found is that someone is routinely tested when they present with something else.

How many people have died from Omicron in South Africa, or are even in ICUs? There is talk of thousands, but reading what local people are saying, I think it may actually be zero.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Wed Dec 08, 2021 9:54 pm

Chris Goodall wrote:
Wed Dec 08, 2021 7:51 pm
Are you telling us that Boris's corrupt and incompetent government is competent enough to deliberately fail to make CoViD go away
That really isn't very difficult - at least in the short term, which is all that concerns him.
but also keep it at a manageable enough level that people keep talking about how Boris has made CoViD go away?
It would be hard now to make it unmanageable - too many people have antibodies against the nasty variants, which are now on course to die out.

Nick Grey

Post by Nick Grey » Wed Dec 08, 2021 9:55 pm

Chess clubs too small for plan b?

Chris Goodall

Post by Chris Goodall » Wed Dec 08, 2021 10:21 pm

Nick Grey wrote:
Wed Dec 08, 2021 9:55 pm
Chess clubs too small for plan b?
Takeaways without seats were not too small for plan A, nor were taxis. I don't think size is the determining factor.
Richard Bates wrote:
Wed Dec 08, 2021 9:18 pm
Chris Goodall wrote:

Are we still fine with chess club playing areas exploiting the hospitality loophole to cover areas whose primary purpose is playing games?

What jurisdiction does the ECF have in these matters anyway (outside of its own events)?
If you think it's a good idea to have chess players wear masks, it's obviously the ECF who are best placed to say "wear masks". They literally have a "Covid-19 guidance" page on their website. If you think it's not, own the fact that you think it's not. "This is a bad idea because you can't force me to do it" is silly.
NickFaulks wrote:
Wed Dec 08, 2021 9:54 pm
Chris Goodall wrote:
Wed Dec 08, 2021 7:51 pm
Are you telling us that Boris's corrupt and incompetent government is competent enough to deliberately fail to make CoViD go away
That really isn't very difficult - at least in the short term, which is all that concerns him.
but also keep it at a manageable enough level that people keep talking about how Boris has made CoViD go away?
It would be hard now to make it unmanageable - too many people have antibodies against the nasty variants, which are now on course to die out.
So Boris's government is manipulating the media and the public by doing the easiest thing possible?
Donate to Sabrina's fundraiser at https://gofund.me/aeae42c7 to support victims of sexual abuse in the chess world.

Northumberland webmaster, Jesmond CC something-or-other. Views mine. Definitely below the Goodall Line.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Wed Dec 08, 2021 11:15 pm

Chris Goodall wrote:
Wed Dec 08, 2021 10:21 pm
So Boris's government is manipulating the media and the public by doing the easiest thing possible?
Well yes, if it were difficult they couldn't do it.

The Westminster press corps are conflicted, because last Christmas they were behaving as though they had never heard of any restrictions, and I am sure there is plenty of evidence kicking around. Even so, they aren't looking quite so passive today.

Richard Bates

Post by Richard Bates » Wed Dec 08, 2021 11:35 pm

Chris Goodall wrote:
Richard Bates wrote:
Wed Dec 08, 2021 9:18 pm
Chris Goodall wrote:

If you think it's a good idea to have chess players wear masks, it's obviously the ECF who are best placed to say "wear masks". They literally have a "Covid-19 guidance" page on their website. If you think it's not, own the fact that you think it's not. "This is a bad idea because you can't force me to do it" is silly.
That’s not my point. The ECF can obviously offer guidance and even (if it so chooses although it would be best not to IMO) legal advice.

However chess players, leagues and/or clubs are under no obligation to follow that guidance and/or advice, nor does following it protect them from any liability that may or may not exist.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Thu Dec 09, 2021 12:04 am

Matt Bridgeman wrote:
Wed Dec 08, 2021 7:15 pm
It’s not impractical for playing chess.
You are of course entitled to your personal opinion. You should not assume that it applies to everyone.

I find playing chess in dim lighting very difficult, whereas others will in identical conditions have no problem at all. We are not all the same.

Stephen Westmoreland

Post by Stephen Westmoreland » Thu Dec 09, 2021 12:14 am

Kind of with Nick on this one. Masks only work if they are the correct type and everyone complies perfectly. There is no justification for restrictions now when the latest scariant is unknown and those in power are clearly not following their own rules. With the amount of people with vaccines and infection, there should be a high amount of herd immunity established.

Vaccines do not stop you catching COVID, just prevent quite a few hospitalisations.
HDCA President