Chess Club Covid Policy

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
John Foley

Chess Club Covid Policy

Post by John Foley » Sun Nov 14, 2021 5:56 pm

Which chess clubs have published Covid policies ?
We are updating our policy and would like to know which measures are being implemented.

NickFaulks

Re: Chess Club Covid Policy

Post by NickFaulks » Sun Nov 14, 2021 6:56 pm

John Foley wrote:
Sun Nov 14, 2021 5:56 pm
We are updating our policy and would like to know which measures are being implemented.
Who are "we"? Crucially, do your players tend to travel to your venue by public transport?

The experience of central London is that players who are so keen to play chess that they willingly travel in conditions which would cause an uprising among sardines are unlikely to demand any special arrangements when they get there.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

John Foley

Post by John Foley » Sun Nov 14, 2021 7:44 pm

NickFaulks wrote:
Sun Nov 14, 2021 6:56 pm
Who are "we"?
The clue is in the title - our chess club - in fact, http://www.kingstonchess.com.
The question is about what positions or steps chess clubs are taking regarding Covid.
For example, as one of our measures, we (i.e. Kingston Chess Club) operate an air purifier during home matches.

Roger Lancaster

Post by Roger Lancaster » Sun Nov 14, 2021 7:54 pm

NickFaulks wrote:
Sun Nov 14, 2021 6:56 pm
John Foley wrote:
Who are "we"? Crucially, do your players tend to travel to your venue by public transport?

The experience of central London is that players who are so keen to play chess that they willingly travel in conditions which would cause an uprising among sardines are unlikely to demand any special arrangements when they get there.
Not to be confused with rural players who, in the absence of reliable public transport, manage to cram 5 people into a small car.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Sun Nov 14, 2021 8:17 pm

John Foley wrote:
Sun Nov 14, 2021 7:44 pm
For example, as one of our measures, we (i.e. Kingston Chess Club) operate an air purifier during home matches.
I have seen them mentioned. How much does a good one cost?
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

John Swain

Post by John Swain » Sun Nov 14, 2021 9:23 pm

NickFaulks wrote:
Sun Nov 14, 2021 8:17 pm
John Foley wrote:
Sun Nov 14, 2021 7:44 pm
I have seen them mentioned. How much does a good one cost?
Before club treasurers rush out to buy air purifiers, it would be prudent to review the literature on whether they provide much protection. One view by a Yale University MD is worth perusing:

https://sciencebasedmedicine.org/can-ai ... -19-virus/

John Foley

Post by John Foley » Sun Nov 14, 2021 10:56 pm

John Swain wrote:
Sun Nov 14, 2021 9:23 pm
it would be prudent to review the literature on whether they provide much protection. One view by a Yale University MD is worth perusing:
Indeed, but surely a club Covid policy would rule out a "mass meeting". If you want to go down the technology route please also see the report from Addenbrookes in Cambridge referenced here.

Has any club got a Covid policy it would like to share?

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Sun Nov 14, 2021 11:13 pm

An answer to my question would be genuinely appreciated.

SMoss

Post by SMoss » Sun Nov 14, 2021 11:21 pm

by NickFaulks » Sun Nov 14, 2021 11:13 pm
An answer to my question would be genuinely appreciated.

I think ours cost about £370 Nick, but Lju Lazarevic would be able to say exactly. She chose it. It's supposedly a pretty good one. Paul Durrant at Surbiton was very keen we buy one ahead of that 16-board match that kicked off the OTB season in September, as our playing room does not have a great deal of natural ventilation.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Sun Nov 14, 2021 11:31 pm

John Foley wrote:
Sun Nov 14, 2021 10:56 pm
Surrey have produced a policy which some clubs and leagues, not just in Surrey, have found useful as a template. Annoyingly I cannot find a way to import it here, but it is easy to find on their own website. A bit prescriptive for my taste, but I think it works for this season.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Sun Nov 14, 2021 11:34 pm

I've played at least a season's worth of games (30) since the resumption. I've yet to play where the next board to the left or right wasn't at least a chess board's width away. That includes a room where I was setting up the boards and tables.

John Swain

Post by John Swain » Sun Nov 14, 2021 11:37 pm

John Foley wrote:
Sun Nov 14, 2021 10:56 pm
John Swain wrote:
Sun Nov 14, 2021 9:23 pm
it would be prudent to review the literature on whether they provide much protection. One view by a Yale University MD is worth perusing:
Indeed, but surely a club Covid policy would rule out a "mass meeting". If you want to go down the technology route please also see the report from Addenbrookes in Cambridge referenced here.

I see that the article based on the experience from Addenbrooke's Hospital in Cambridge has not yet been peer-reviewed. I would also be more interested in studies based on non-hospital settings rather than general wards or ICUs.

There are more recent articles about the efficacy of air purifiers than the one I quoted, such as:

https://www.livescience.com/do-hepa-fil ... ve-viruses

It seems a lot depends on the type of air purifier and therefore presumably its cost.

I imagine that a decent air purifier could go some way to reducing the level of covid particles in a typical chess club room; the question is whether it's going to have a material difference for a player opposite someone with covid for 150 minutes and where there may be a discouragement from wandering away from the board when the opponent is thinking, as many players, including myself, used to do.

Ian Thompson

Post by Ian Thompson » Sun Nov 14, 2021 11:43 pm

NickFaulks wrote:
Sun Nov 14, 2021 11:31 pm
Surrey have produced a policy which some clubs and leagues, not just in Surrey, have found useful as a template. Annoyingly I cannot find a way to import it here
https://www.scca.co.uk/SCCA/docs/Advice ... NAL-1.docx

Angus French

Post by Angus French » Mon Nov 15, 2021 10:57 am

John Foley wrote:
This may be of interest, in particular the section on Safety recommendations for activities held in indoor spaces.

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Mon Nov 15, 2021 11:07 am

Roger de Coverly wrote:
Sun Nov 14, 2021 11:34 pm
I've played at least a season's worth of games (30) since the resumption. I've yet to play where the next board to the left or right wasn't at least a chess board's width away. That includes a room where I was setting up the boards and tables.
Have you played away to Newbury yet?
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D