Chess Club Covid Policy

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
John Foley

Re: Chess Club Covid Policy

Post by John Foley » Mon Nov 15, 2021 11:12 am

So far we have general advice (impressive collation from Angus) and questions which are relevant to devising a policy but no pointers to any chess club with an actual Covid policy.

John Swain

Post by John Swain » Mon Nov 15, 2021 11:46 am

John Foley wrote:
Mon Nov 15, 2021 11:12 am
So far we have general advice (impressive collation from Angus) and questions which are relevant to devising a policy but no pointers to any chess club with an actual Covid policy.
I quote from my club's website (Gambit CC Nottingham) http://gambitchess.org.uk/

"We have to be mindful of Covid so we have taken a few measures to help people feel more comfortable playing, but we recognise that people will have varying perceptions of safety. The number of boards has been reduced from 15 to 9 to allow more space between them. The windows and the door will be left fully open to provide an exchange of air in the room. Hand sanitisers will be available, as will face masks for anyone who chooses to wear one.

We strongly recommend all members and guests to be fully vaccinated where medically possible but feel it would be intrusive to ask anyone to provide personal medical information. Please don’t come to the club if you feel unwell, such as a high temperature or persistent cough. You may also consider taking a lateral flow test before returning."

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Mon Nov 15, 2021 12:15 pm

John Foley wrote:
Mon Nov 15, 2021 11:12 am
but no pointers to any chess club with an actual Covid policy.
You might wish to look at Surbiton's, which is on the club's website.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Stephen Westmoreland

Post by Stephen Westmoreland » Mon Nov 15, 2021 3:19 pm

I did one for Holmfirth and general league play between lockdowns. It was decommissioned once requirements were dropped for distancing, masks and indoor space.

Some leagues have requirements to wear masks if your opposition insists. No written policy alive that I know.
HDCA President

Andy Stoker

Post by Andy Stoker » Mon Nov 15, 2021 3:44 pm

I was very surprised to read a comment in another place from an active player stating that he refused to wear a "nappy" (sic). I asked, from genuine interest, whether he carried out a LFT before a match.... his first response was to ask what that was (fair enough, I suppose) then to say he had never done one .... and ask why he should if he had no symptoms.
We each make our own assessment of risk but I mix with too many vulnerable people to risk facing someone like him 1m or so away

Reg Clucas

Post by Reg Clucas » Tue Nov 16, 2021 12:32 pm

Stephen Westmoreland wrote:
Mon Nov 15, 2021 3:19 pm
I did one for Holmfirth and general league play between lockdowns. It was decommissioned once requirements were dropped for distancing, masks and indoor space.
Thu Nov 11, 2021 11:37 pm
I am day 6 into COVID myself. Knocked me for 6 with the loss of taste and smell weird.
Coincidence?

Stephen Westmoreland

Post by Stephen Westmoreland » Tue Nov 16, 2021 5:17 pm

Reg Clucas wrote:
Tue Nov 16, 2021 12:32 pm
Mon Nov 15, 2021 3:19 pm
Thu Nov 11, 2021 11:37 pm
I am day 6 into COVID myself. Knocked me for 6 with the loss of taste and smell weird.
Coincidence?
Entirely. Timings mean I was likely to have got it from a relative's funeral or the train to work. No one else in the club has COVID.
HDCA President

raycollett

Post by raycollett » Wed Nov 24, 2021 8:48 am

For Worcester City Chess Club see the club's website at:
http://www.raycollett.net/city/

It's likely that the most cost-effective anti-covid precautions will be players wearing face-coverings especially when sat at the board and provision of hand sanitiser. Obviously it costs nothing to make maximum use of space available.

The local league requires players (medical exemptions permitted) to use face coverings during play. The policy gives some reassurance to older players more vulnerable to infection and permits them to play without distraction.