Aimchess

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Ian Thompson

Aimchess

Post by Ian Thompson » Tue Nov 02, 2021 9:04 am

Anyone tried this, either on the free or paid for versions - https://aimchess.com/try? What do you think?

Matthew Turner

Re: Aimchess

Post by Matthew Turner » Tue Nov 02, 2021 9:32 am

"Modern Defense

Usually your are winning these games despite that after openingyou are -0.6 points behind your opponent"

There are so many things wrong with this sentence that it is impossible to know where to start. So, I am guessing the whole thing is garbage.

Richard Thursby

Post by Richard Thursby » Tue Nov 02, 2021 9:44 am

There is absolutely nothing to stop you taking any random user name you like and running the analysis. Notwithstanding that games are public information and there is probably better software around to perform the analysis, this does appear to at least raise questions relating to data protection. [I am not a legal expert so am prepared to be corrected, it was just the immediate question that came to mind.] I would expect some kind of validation requirement that the person requesting the analysis owns the account (or at least, has access to the credentials for the account).

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Tue Nov 02, 2021 10:48 am

Aimchess came to the following conclusion:

"Opening with white pieces Usually you are 2.7 points ahead your opponent."

If only that was true.
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

Geoff Chandler

Post by Geoff Chandler » Tue Nov 02, 2021 12:42 pm

Hi Kevin,

"....this does appear to at least raise questions relating to data protection."
" I would expect some kind of validation requirement that the person requesting the analysis owns the account

I see your point and somewhat agree but Is this not covered under the chess games cannot be copyright ruling.
They are not giving away anything personal, just a running a computer over the copyright free games played.

It is just a piece of silliness. I typed in 'bobby' on the default chess.com platform and was told.

Opening with white pieces In general you are -100.0 points behind your opponent.

Opening with black pieces In general you are -16.7 points behind your opponent.

This is a trick missed by chess book publishers. Ask the browser to enter they username and what site they play on.
The publishers site computer does a quick piece of fault finding analysis and suggests what book they publish to buy.
(or it picks which book the publishing house has the most unsold copies of.)

"Your score v 1.e4 is very low, you need. 'Win Loads of Games with the Black v 1.e4 ' £19.95
We also detected quite a few mistakes in the your end game. Buy 'End your End Game Misery.' £25.99."

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Tue Nov 02, 2021 12:47 pm

Is it not an AI version of "write notes the expert's way"? In other words a set of all purpose notes triggered by easily computed observations. Using an openings classifier can establish that a player uses the Modern. An analysis of results can show whether it does well and an engine assessment at the end of the aimchess book enables comments like worse from the opening.

Richard Thursby

Post by Richard Thursby » Tue Nov 02, 2021 7:36 pm

Geoff Chandler wrote:
Tue Nov 02, 2021 12:42 pm
Hi Kevin,
I have been called many things in my life (the most common at school being a th-fronting of my surname), but "Kevin" had not been one of them.

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Tue Nov 02, 2021 11:28 pm

I suspect Geoff saw the first 4 letters of your surname and guessed wrongly...

Geoff Chandler

Post by Geoff Chandler » Wed Nov 03, 2021 12:02 am

Hi Richard,

I was zapping back and forth on that aimchess thing, trying Gary, Bobby, Geoff Ivan...Kevin (my son's name)
Kevin somehow stuck, it's a nice name.

My nickname at school was silver sleeves. (I kept wiping nose on my sleeves.)
Next time I need a nik for another chess site I'll use that.

Chris Goodall

Post by Chris Goodall » Wed Nov 03, 2021 10:41 am

It seems to think I would be 2300 if I stopped playing stupid moves and running out of time. Truly, it knows me better than I know myself 😆
Donate to Sabrina's fundraiser at https://gofund.me/aeae42c7 to support victims of sexual abuse in the chess world.

Northumberland webmaster, Jesmond CC something-or-other. Views mine. Definitely below the Goodall Line.