New online phenomenon

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
JustinHorton

Re: New online phenomenon

Post by JustinHorton » Sun Oct 24, 2021 1:37 pm

You know you're allowed to choose colour on lichess?
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Mon Nov 15, 2021 10:53 am

Another curiosity here, as White mysteriously resigns eight moves into a mainline variation in which they possess a small edge.
"Do you play chess?"

lostontime.blogspot.com

Joseph Conlon

Post by Joseph Conlon » Wed Nov 17, 2021 7:54 pm

In rated lichess games, I have occasionally resigned if suddenly disrupted (I think it more polite than leaving the clock to run down).

In arenas I think it would be a legitimate tactic although I don't use it (you may maximise points by resigning a level position against a stronger player and hoping to get rabbits and start a quick streak)

When I occasionally play in the anonymous pool I almost exclusively play troll openings (swapping the Knights around g1 <-> b1, swapping King and Queen, 1. h4 2. Rh3 3.Ra3 etc) and sometimes people resign in disgust.

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Thu Nov 18, 2021 8:46 am

Joseph Conlon wrote:
Wed Nov 17, 2021 7:54 pm
In rated lichess games, I have occasionally resigned if suddenly disrupted (I think it more polite than leaving the clock to run down)
Yes of course, and I assume that's very often the reason for these abrupt resignations (though when they're immediately playing another game, not so much).
Joseph Conlon wrote:
When I occasionally play in the anonymous pool I almost exclusively play troll openings (swapping the Knights around g1 <-> b1, swapping King and Queen, 1. h4 2. Rh3 3.Ra3 etc) and sometimes people resign in disgust.
I also do this (the refusing to play the troll, not the trolling).
"Do you play chess?"

lostontime.blogspot.com

Chris Goodall

Post by Chris Goodall » Thu Nov 18, 2021 4:26 pm

JustinHorton wrote:
Thu Nov 18, 2021 8:46 am
Joseph Conlon wrote:
I also do this (the refusing to play the troll, not the trolling).
If playing openings that your opponent doesn't enjoy is trolling, I'm going to start resigning in disgust when they play Alekhine's Defence. That'll teach 'em.
Donate to Sabrina's fundraiser at https://gofund.me/aeae42c7 to support victims of sexual abuse in the chess world.

Northumberland webmaster, Jesmond CC something-or-other. Views mine. Definitely below the Goodall Line.

Joey Stewart

Post by Joey Stewart » Thu Nov 18, 2021 5:44 pm

It definitely pays to block players who use obnoxious openings or play styles online, no need to report them if you think they are not cheating but at the same time life is too short to play "friendly" games against anyone you don't like and you can just deny them the chance to ever befoul your board again - my list of blocked players is so long now I can't even scroll all the way down it
Lose one queen and it is a disaster, Lose 1000 queens and it is just a statistic.

Joseph Conlon

Post by Joseph Conlon » Thu Nov 18, 2021 7:02 pm

Joey Stewart wrote:
Thu Nov 18, 2021 5:44 pm
It definitely pays to block players who use obnoxious openings or play styles online, no need to report them if you think they are not cheating but at the same time life is too short to play "friendly" games against anyone you don't like and you can just deny them the chance to ever befoul your board again - my list of blocked players is so long now I can't even scroll all the way down it
Well, you can't block anyone in the anonymous pool as by definition neither side is logged into an account. My feeling on the anonymous pool is that the threshold of creating and logging into an account is so low that below that threshold and in blitz, almost anything goes.

Chris Goodall

Post by Chris Goodall » Thu Nov 18, 2021 8:33 pm

Joey Stewart wrote:
Thu Nov 18, 2021 5:44 pm
obnoxious openings or play styles
I'm astonished that anyone could think it possible to move the pieces in an obnoxious way.

If the strategy works, copy it. If it doesn't, punish it. It is zero-sum.
Donate to Sabrina's fundraiser at https://gofund.me/aeae42c7 to support victims of sexual abuse in the chess world.

Northumberland webmaster, Jesmond CC something-or-other. Views mine. Definitely below the Goodall Line.

Joey Stewart

Post by Joey Stewart » Thu Nov 18, 2021 9:51 pm

Ok, here is an example that might make more sense - someone moving at extreme speed but also keeping the position as negative and drawish as possible with the intention of only ever winning on time. Since I play pretty exclusively 3/0, where dirty flagging is a lot less acceptable then bullet I tell those types to bugger off back where they came from and kick them to the curb.
I'm sure that even those who like to play devil's advocate would struggle to find an argument to support that.
Lose one queen and it is a disaster, Lose 1000 queens and it is just a statistic.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Fri Nov 19, 2021 1:35 am

Joey Stewart wrote:
Thu Nov 18, 2021 9:51 pm
I'm sure that even those who like to play devil's advocate would struggle to find an argument to support that.
Wrong. I don't know why you insist on playing without an increment, but you should not object to flagging. In any case, 180 seconds is a long time, so how many moves are there in these games where you are flagged by an opponent who does nothing ( and presumably you do nothing either )?
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Chris Goodall

Post by Chris Goodall » Fri Nov 19, 2021 1:53 am

Joey Stewart wrote:
Thu Nov 18, 2021 9:51 pm
Ok, here is an example that might make more sense - someone moving at extreme speed but also keeping the position as negative and drawish as possible with the intention of only ever winning on time. Since I play pretty exclusively 3/0, where dirty flagging is a lot less acceptable then bullet I tell those types to bugger off back where they came from and kick them to the curb.
If keeping the position negative and drawish are the best moves, and they can play the best moves at extreme speed, then you're just blocking people for being better than you. If they're not the best moves, and you play the best moves in response, you will win! :D

Look at the statistics for a typical "negative" opening like the Exchange French - White gets lots of draws, yes, but almost entirely at the expense of White wins. Black wins about 30% of Frenches and about 30% of Exchange Frenches.

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Fri Nov 19, 2021 9:58 am

I try to avoid the comments page, but noticed on Lichess that somebody was screaming abuse at "dirty flaggers", then someone else commented, "You realise this is blitz, right?"

Good answer.

I had a game recently, where my opponent found a good idea, I realised I was totally busted, but he had mate in 1, so I played the next move as I felt he deserved to have the chance to play it. He missed it, so my king walked round the board for a minute, whilst he missed several mates in 1, then I won on time. I don't see any reason to feel bad about that.

I don't see a problem with silly openings - I have played Halloween Gambits, Latvian G, and all sorts of dubious lines, as I thought blitz and online are both supposed to be fun.

Matt Mackenzie

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Fri Nov 19, 2021 4:12 pm

Kevin Thurlow wrote:
Fri Nov 19, 2021 9:58 am
I don't see a problem with silly openings - I have played Halloween Gambits, Latvian G, and all sorts of dubious lines, as I thought blitz and online are both supposed to be fun.
Both of those are at least semi-serious, though. Opening with 1 a4 and 2 Ra3 is maybe a different matter ;)
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Fri Nov 19, 2021 7:10 pm

When you play a game of chess, or anything else, you're not just seeking to win the game, you're seeking to have a good game. This goes especially if it's a friendly and it implies both players doing their best and showing rspect to their opponent. If you played a game of, say, tennis or snooker, and youur opponent just messed about, deliberately playing bad shots just to try and prove they could win anyway, you might well go on to win but you probably would not feel you had enjoyed the experience and you would probably not want to play the same opponent again.

The same applies to chess. You can play strange and risky moves, of course you can, but playing deliberately bad and silly moves is something different. It's all about respecting the opponent, and it's not really so hard to see where that line is being crossed.
"Do you play chess?"

lostontime.blogspot.com

Jonathan Rogers

Post by Jonathan Rogers » Fri Nov 19, 2021 7:46 pm

JustinHorton wrote:
Fri Nov 19, 2021 7:10 pm
When you play a game of chess, or anything else, you're not just seeking to win the game, you're seeking to have a good game. This goes especially if it's a friendly and it implies both players doing their best and showing rspect to their opponent. If you played a game of, say, tennis or snooker, and youur opponent just messed about, deliberately playing bad shots just to try and prove they could win anyway, you might well go on to win but you probably would not feel you had enjoyed the experience and you would probably not want to play the same opponent again.

The same applies to chess. You can play strange and risky moves, of course you can, but playing deliberately bad and silly moves is something different. It's all about respecting the opponent, and it's not really so hard to see where that line is being crossed.
but the time limit matters too. I play 1 h4 at bullet and win plenty; very occasionally I've faced the like and lost myself. Not much point complaining about respect if the time limit is such that so many games are lost on time just a few moves and seconds from delivering mate.

and people who get angry at 1.h4 by itself (not followed by f3, Kf2-g3-h2) can sometimes be too sanctimonious. It doesn't lose. A computer would beat anyone with 1 h4. We know that the player is not really going to let his opponent win. He is (at least in my case) just in a fresh game 1 h4 state of mind. Give these people the benefit of the doubt ...