What's new in English Women's Chess

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Paul Bloom

Re: What's new in English Women's Chess

Post by Paul Bloom » Fri Sep 02, 2022 11:15 am

Zoe is still playing at a high level .Finished 3rd in the u8s British championships but was the only player to beat the winner . everything re coaching was put on hold as they are moving this week from surrey to Woodford before going off to play in the world cadets . They have an online WGM coach from Georgia her parents home country and she will Join Barnet knights who she plays for in the 4NCL .so things are bright for the future . and also at coulsdon the winner of the u8s Supratit is also a coulsdon young talent of which we have many {9 players under 14 over 1600 ecf } and of course being one of the only clubs that Fide rate all club matches they have decent fide ratings also as the subject topic is about women's chess hopefully we will have the very talented Zoe Varney joining us next week . so all good for junior and women's chess here

Lorin D'Costa

Post by Lorin D'Costa » Fri Sep 02, 2022 12:22 pm

A.Kluckova wrote:
Tue Jun 28, 2022 11:50 am
Big thanks to Lorin for his SPTW activity. He helps more than 500 girls in their chess growth. It has a double value if this activity is done by the coach of the women's national team.

For me it starts to smell like a medal from ETCC .

SPTW has a big spectrum of activities. Is it possible for the SPTW to set up a public fund to specifically support that talented girls who could have trouble paying for their expenses, to which we could contribute?

Given the successes noted it is a good time to announce that SPTW will enter THREE teams into division 4 of the 4NCL for this season.
Two teams plus a dedicated Uni/Graduate team.
We think this is a great idea to get more girls playing good quality games plus the obvious social element to having so many girls attending. The plan is to encourage these girls to play chess at university and beyond.
None of the females mentioned with the good recent results will be part of the SPTW teams as they have teams in higher divisions(!) So we are offering opportunities for even more girls who are next in line.
I have even managed to get a private sponsor involved who can see the efforts SPTW is doing to further women's chess in the UK.

A.Kluckova

Post by A.Kluckova » Sat Sep 03, 2022 12:46 pm

Thank you Paul, happy to know that Zoe has a coach . It's good that it was resolved for now!!! I feel really happy about it. My daughter was coached when she was 11 years old only and online only also. No chess club, no coach , just chess in school with me as a headteacher. It took me a lot of energy under such conditions to motivate children to improve.
You do miracles in Coulsdon, 9 players under 14 over 1600 !! And all local games are FIDE rated !! The ECF and FIDE rating difference ( sometimes more than 500 points) that arose due to non- FIDE rating most of the chess games which are played in England, is a problem not only for those whose rating is lower than their performance, but also for their opponents.
l know Zoe Varney personally, we shared the same bungalow in Corsica Open a few years ago. Our 5th board in Chennai. She play on WFM level a long time and I think her WFM title has not yet been won also thanks to the rating ECF -FIDE difference in England. Thank you once a more for all positive news .

A.Kluckova

Post by A.Kluckova » Sat Sep 03, 2022 3:50 pm

The next good news is from Lorin.
It must be a dream of every chess federation if a non profit organisation supportive a women chess is working alongside.
There is also the possibility for periodically donation on your webside. It is very important, you know. Many times we donate everywhere even if we want really donate to somewhere else. And you are the right person on right place.
Three teams SPTW in 4ncl is great idea . I think a possibility to play for a girl's team is so motivating and play for SPTW will soon become prestigious.
Anyway l will buy your promotion hoody and l will be proud to wear on (even hoodies are far from my style).

You do great thing and SPTW is a great idea . l believe that in time of two years several of our girls will reach the limit WFM, the first step into the world of a big chess.
Fingers crossed.

A.Kluckova

Post by A.Kluckova » Tue Sep 06, 2022 10:31 pm

One statistic more - 09/ 2022 girls under 12 over 1600. It also looks very promising. 10 girls under 12 are over ECF 1600 !
Elis D.Dicen , Bodhana Sivanandan ,Mae C Catabay , Alannah Ashton, Zoe Veselow, Thisumi Jayawarna, Julie Oh, Naavya Parikh, Shambavi Hariharan and Yashasvini Sreeram.

World Youth Chess Championship under 18, 16 and 14 just started in Romania, Mamaia. Only ENG girl is Julia Volovich in girls under 16 section . Julia is 2089 ECF rated and she is one of the candidates to reach the WFM level early. Good luck, Julia !

LawrenceCooper

Post by LawrenceCooper » Tue Sep 27, 2022 1:21 pm

I don't see a separate thread anywhere but Bodhana Sivanandan finished 1st= on 9.5/11 in the FIDE WORLD CADETS CHESS CHAMPIONSHIPS 2022 - Girls 08 but placed second on the narrowest of tie-breaks: https://chess-results.com/tnr670151.asp ... NG&flag=30

Joey Stewart

Post by Joey Stewart » Tue Sep 27, 2022 1:41 pm

What a shame for her to get such a fantastic performance and still likely be losing rating points thanks to such an abominably low graded field - it feels like the UK is one of the only countries in the world that actually cares about improving our girls ratings.
Lose one queen and it is a disaster, Lose 1000 queens and it is just a statistic.

LawrenceCooper

Post by LawrenceCooper » Tue Sep 27, 2022 1:49 pm

Joey Stewart wrote:
Tue Sep 27, 2022 1:41 pm
What a shame for her to get such a fantastic performance and still likely be losing rating points thanks to such an abominably low graded field - it feels like the UK is one of the only countries in the world that actually cares about improving our girls ratings.
I won't pay too much attention to the chess-results rating performance. Once you remove the 1.5/2 against the two unrateds I suspect the 8/9 against rated players will work out okay. But even if it didn't the experience of playing and winning a silver (almost) gold medal matters far more than a few rating points.

Joey Stewart

Post by Joey Stewart » Tue Sep 27, 2022 2:20 pm

Yes, I don't want to take anything away from bodhana - she performed spectacularly, and was the bravest player in the field by miles to put her rating on the line so really deserved first place for that.

I was more annoyed at the number of federations entering extremely low rated or, worse still, unrated players as it just continues the cycle of deflation when they all come out with sub 1000 ratings and then improve.
Lose one queen and it is a disaster, Lose 1000 queens and it is just a statistic.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Tue Sep 27, 2022 2:26 pm

Joey Stewart wrote:
Tue Sep 27, 2022 2:20 pm
or, worse still, unrated players as it just continues the cycle of deflation when they all come out with sub 1000 ratings and then improve.
You might wish to review your understanding of how the rating system works.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Tue Sep 27, 2022 2:44 pm

Joey Stewart wrote:
Tue Sep 27, 2022 2:20 pm
I was more annoyed at the number of federations entering extremely low rated or, worse still, unrated players as it just continues the cycle of deflation when they all come out with sub 1000 ratings and then improve.
In the FIDE implementation of Elo ratings, unrated players have no direct impact on rated players.

Where there is an impact is where players come in at a very low rating, in other words when inexperienced. Once they get a rating, which has to be above 1000, they then take points off other rated players when they improve to be better than their initial rating. Had they not played in that first tournament, or if it had been unrated, then provided their improvement took place regardless, their later initial rating would be a good deal higher.

Matt Bridgeman

Post by Matt Bridgeman » Fri Oct 07, 2022 6:28 pm

14 year old Eugenia Karas, who is probably getting in the most European events of any of the female England juniors, has gone over the 2000 mark after a good event in Barcelona. She’ll now be able to apply for a WCM title; https://ratings.fide.com/profile/463485/calculations
I’d imagine she’s pressing now for a spot on the woman’s Olympiad team.

A.Kluckova

Post by A.Kluckova » Sat Oct 08, 2022 10:06 pm

Thank you for the report, Girls played well in Georgia ! I published a report for British Chess News in Facebook, because l had a nice photos of both girls ( Bodhana and Zoe) from Championship's webside . The third girl in Georgia was Hariharan Shambavi, she played in G12 section and her record shows, she started with a chess just one year ago . 11 rounds from World Champ is big experience.

A.Kluckova

Post by A.Kluckova » Sat Oct 08, 2022 11:15 pm

Thank you Matt. Congratulations to 14 years old Eugenie Karas to her WCM level success !
l don't know if she is pressing now for a spot on the woman's Olympiad team, but l am sure she showed all the girls who are her age or similar age that it is possible . A pleasant idea to have a group of girls on WFM level for English Chess as soon as possible.

Yes , Eugenie played in Prague and Spain, no bad holidays. Many times no problem to play abroad, if you enjoy travelling. It can be done interestingly and cheaply at the same time ( those are always my two criteria). And "Maybe someone could stage a GIBCHESS style ‘Battle of the Sexes’ next year in England "?

A.Kluckova

Post by A.Kluckova » Mon Oct 10, 2022 1:12 pm

Good afternoon Matt, l sent a message to you.