Captain My Captain

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
John Upham

Captain My Captain

Post by John Upham » Thu Aug 26, 2021 1:47 pm

Having attended various clubs AGMs there would appear some difficulty in finding sufficient Team Captains for individual League teams.

(I am not including 4NCL in this discussion).

May I ask if there are clubs who have an overall Team Manager who selects players for each of the clubs teams but who does not feel compelled to attend matches in person?

Might this approach reduce the burden on clubs to deal with the perennial

"If we cannot find a team captain then that team will not be entered" or words to that effect?

Are any Leagues contemplating reducing the number of boards per match?

One of our Leagues is considering going from 6 to 4 boards to help clubs create viable teams.

Four players is closer to a "cars worth".
Last edited by John Upham on Thu Aug 26, 2021 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

Andrew Zigmond

Re: Captain My Captain

Post by Andrew Zigmond » Thu Aug 26, 2021 2:49 pm

John Upham wrote:
Thu Aug 26, 2021 1:47 pm

May I ask if there are clubs who have an overall Team Manager who selects players for each of the clubs teams but who does not feel compelled to attend matches in person?
Yes. I held this role in Harrogate for some years and may well take it on again in September (although I'd rather captains came forward for the A and B teams - hopefully they don't read this forum). Since 2013 I've generally been C Team captain (with a break in the middle) despite work commitments preventing from playing more than once in a blue moon. I don't do this to be a martyr - it's primarily so I can keep the team active for any juniors who might wish to play, not for the benefit of those players who could be captain if they wanted to (although generally my efforts are appreciated).

I suspect it may actually be quite common.
Controller - Yorkshire League
Chairman - Harrogate Chess Club
All views expressed entirely my own

IM Jack Rudd

Post by IM Jack Rudd » Thu Aug 26, 2021 2:54 pm

At Barnstaple, we have someone who serves as team selector for all the club's teams, whether or not he's going to be playing.

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Thu Aug 26, 2021 2:56 pm

Don't many leagues require someone to handle 'admin' and disputes on the night? That normally falls to the team captain, though sometimes it is handled by others. In most leagues I have played in, the captains swap team lists on the night, for example. It can help to have things set up in advance, in case captains are late, and/or to have a deputy, or someone experienced to step in if needed.

Agree that it can help to have sets of teams managed centrally for a club to help make team selections efficient, especially if a club has lots of teams in different leagues and different divisions of leagues, and the league(s) have rules that limit what people can play for which teams. Sometimes this can be handled by team captains coordinating, but you often still need everyone to be aware of the rules and how best to manage a club's resources (in this case, its players).

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Thu Aug 26, 2021 5:30 pm

Christopher Kreuzer wrote:
Thu Aug 26, 2021 2:56 pm
Don't many leagues require someone to handle 'admin' and disputes on the night?
Indeed they do.

It is possible that the Team Manager could nominate a team players to take on that role for the duration of the match.

Perhaps they would need to be familiar with the Laws of Chess and the League rules?
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D