FIDE identification numbers

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Joseph Conlon

FIDE identification numbers

Post by Joseph Conlon » Fri Aug 13, 2021 8:30 pm

When preparing for my latest rapidplay this Sunday I imported the latest FIDE rating lists into UTU Swiss. At this point I discovered that FIDE ids now exist for various players who 'shouldn't' have a FIDE id, in that they have never played a FIDE-rated event and their parents have never requested creation of a FIDE id (e.g. my own kids!).

So someone seems to have been generating FIDE ids for lots of juniors - any idea what is going on?

Wadih Khoury

Re: FIDE identification numbers

Post by Wadih Khoury » Fri Aug 13, 2021 8:34 pm

Joseph Conlon wrote:
Fri Aug 13, 2021 8:30 pm
When preparing for my latest rapidplay this Sunday I imported the latest FIDE rating lists into UTU Swiss. At this point I discovered that FIDE ids now exist for various players who 'shouldn't' have a FIDE id, in that they have never played a FIDE-rated event and their parents have never requested creation of a FIDE id (e.g. my own kids!).

So someone seems to have been generating FIDE ids for lots of juniors - any idea what is going on?
Did they ever play in a FIDE rated tournament, without ever playing a FIIDE rated opponent? That should generate a FIDE id without any games I think.

Joseph Conlon

Post by Joseph Conlon » Fri Aug 13, 2021 8:46 pm

They have played in the lower sections of my events, but so far I have only sent the top section for FIDE rating, so FIDE don't know anything about them. The only explanation I can think of is that somehow the ECF is creating FIDE ids for players in the same tournament as one with a FIDE rated section, even if their own section is entirely non-FIDE rated.

(edit: some of these players with FINs are relatively weak and so far have never played a single OTB ECF rated game. So not the above either - curiouser and curiouser!)

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Sat Aug 14, 2021 10:33 am

Joseph, I have sent you a PM.

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Sat Aug 14, 2021 10:50 am

David Sedgwick wrote:
Sat Aug 14, 2021 10:33 am
Joseph, I have sent you a PM.
David,

I'd like to know the answer about FIDE IDs if you have one.
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

Joseph Conlon

Post by Joseph Conlon » Sat Aug 14, 2021 10:58 am

I think I am understanding this now - some online events have a requirement, or at least the suggestion, that players should have a ENG (or similar home country) FIDE nationality, so FIDE ids can be needed even if a player has never played in a FIDE-rated event or even OTB at all.

And, mea culpa, tracing back my own inbox I discover that I did actually request FINs for my kids for this reason back last year.