Chess Covid regulations poll

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.

How should chess competitions draft their rules for concerns about covid?

Poll ended at Fri Jul 16, 2021 8:32 am

1. Meet all concerns of those worried about virus transmission
11%
2. Bias towards those who are concerned about virus transmission, even if some of those concerned about personal freedom drop out
42%
3. Maximise participation
31%
4. Bias towards those who are concerned about personal freedom, even if some of those concerned about virus transmission drop out
11%
5. Meet all concerns of those worried about personal freedom
6%

Total votes: 36

JustinHorton

Re: Chess Covid regulations poll

Post by JustinHorton » Mon Aug 02, 2021 4:26 pm

"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

Gary Cook

Post by Gary Cook » Mon Aug 02, 2021 5:02 pm

JustinHorton wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 4:26 pm
RNID
You have missed the point. At a mask wearing event the majority of players with normal hearing would not be using a clear face cover.

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Mon Aug 02, 2021 5:10 pm

I'm just drawing people's attention to the recent statement of the relevant charity organisation on the subject. if you consider there are areas they leave unaddressed you could conceivably let them know.
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Tue Aug 03, 2021 2:34 pm

Matt Bridgeman wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 1:25 pm
NickFaulks wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 1:09 pm
Matt Bridgeman wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 12:52 pm
The under 18 age group may be sitting in front of someone without a mask for 3 hours plus, probably within the 2 metre range.
So we're now defining the under 18s as the "vulnerable" group for whose benefit normal life must be suspended? This isn't just moving the goalposts, it's putting them in the road outside the ground!
I meant vulnerable in the sense that they will remain in the main the unvaccinated group. Going back to my question, I was curious if there is likely going to be a mechanism in place by chess organisers for pro-mask players to choose whether to play someone without a mask or not? Or is it as the gist is on here, that it’s probably not really workable?
You might want to see if you can get hold of a Morecambe Bay Hood :wink:
Any postings on here represent my personal views

Roger Lancaster

Post by Roger Lancaster » Tue Aug 03, 2021 5:37 pm

I rather assume that, quite apart from the issues raised here, one practical difficulty of holding any organisation responsible for causing Covid infection would be that of proving that one contracted the virus while attending an event held by that organisation. For example, where someone used public transport to and from the venue, the defence could and likely would argue that the infection could equally well have been contracted while travelling to or from the venue.

Angus French

Post by Angus French » Tue Aug 03, 2021 9:30 pm

Roger Lancaster wrote:
Tue Aug 03, 2021 5:37 pm
I rather assume that, quite apart from the issues raised here, one practical difficulty of holding any organisation responsible for causing Covid infection would be that of proving that one contracted the virus while attending an event held by that organisation. For example, where someone used public transport to and from the venue, the defence could and likely would argue that the infection could equally well have been contracted while travelling to or from the venue.
You think all those billions spent on track-and-trace were in vain?... They're coming for you, Roger.

Actually, I'm half (or more) serious. Shouldn't track-and-trace be determining how and where (what types of place) infections occurred (as well as who might be infected)?

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Tue Aug 03, 2021 9:43 pm

Yes, I think that's why early indications are that nightclubs haven't proved an issue yet, with the exception of the 1 large outbreak due to a particular nightclub in Lincoln
Any postings on here represent my personal views

MartinCarpenter

Post by MartinCarpenter » Wed Aug 04, 2021 9:28 am

Angus French wrote:
Tue Aug 03, 2021 9:30 pm
Roger Lancaster wrote:
You think all those billions spent on track-and-trace were in vain?... They're coming for you, Roger.

Actually, I'm half (or more) serious. Shouldn't track-and-trace be determining how and where (what types of place) infections occurred (as well as who might be infected)?
Very hard indeed with Covid, partially due to the asymtopic people and partially because it has spread so far/fast that you really can't tell.

Isolated clumps of people are much easier!

Track & trace has been a really nasty mess of an operation, but it has also mostly not had a brilliant sporting chance with the population infection rates we've been running at various times.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Wed Aug 04, 2021 9:52 am

MartinCarpenter wrote:
Wed Aug 04, 2021 9:28 am
Track & trace has been a really nasty mess of an operation, but it has also mostly not had a brilliant sporting chance with the population infection rates we've been running at various times.
But that was known at the outset.

Like so many Government policies, this was never more than funnelling unimaginable amounts of taxpayers' money into friendly hands in the hope of looking as though they were doing something.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Wed Aug 04, 2021 2:33 pm

Mick Norris wrote:
Tue Aug 03, 2021 2:34 pm
You might want to see if you can get hold of a Morecambe Bay Hood :wink:
Is this suitable for use in a Sauna?
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

IM Jack Rudd

Post by IM Jack Rudd » Wed Aug 04, 2021 2:48 pm

It's clothing, and therefore the answer is no. :D

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Wed Aug 04, 2021 7:20 pm

Angus French wrote:
Tue Aug 03, 2021 9:30 pm
]Actually, I'm half (or more) serious. Shouldn't track-and-trace be determining how and where (what types of place) infections occurred (as well as who might be infected)?
NickFaulks wrote:
Wed Aug 04, 2021 9:52 am
MartinCarpenter wrote:
Wed Aug 04, 2021 9:28 am
But that was known at the outset.

Like so many Government policies, this was never more than funnelling unimaginable amounts of taxpayers' money into friendly hands in the hope of looking as though they were doing something.
Nick, I am surprised that you of all people should miss the point. Angus is closer to the mark.

Track and trace is extremely useful in following the movements of as many people as possible.

1984 never really stood a chance of arriving on time, as that was during the Thatcher years. 37 years on, it looks as though it may finally be here.

Jacques Parry

Post by Jacques Parry » Wed Aug 04, 2021 7:29 pm

Roger Lancaster wrote:
True, but if several participants were found to be infected shortly afterwards, and were not otherwise connected in any way (such as sharing transport), it would seem more likely that they were infected at the event than elsewhere; and in a civil case proof on the balance of probabilities is enough. I think the greater difficulty would be to prove that the infection would not have occurred if the organisers had taken more precautions, and that failing to take those additional precautions amounted to negligence.

Roger Lancaster

Post by Roger Lancaster » Thu Aug 05, 2021 9:56 am

Jacques Parry wrote:
Wed Aug 04, 2021 7:29 pm
Roger Lancaster wrote:
True, but if several participants were found to be infected shortly afterwards, and were not otherwise connected in any way (such as sharing transport), it would seem more likely that they were infected at the event than elsewhere; and in a civil case proof on the balance of probabilities is enough. I think the greater difficulty would be to prove that the infection would not have occurred if the organisers had taken more precautions, and that failing to take those additional precautions amounted to negligence.
Absolutely agree. There are clear obstacles to a successful claim but, all the same, it's a risk most organisers would wish to avoid.

Matt Bridgeman

Post by Matt Bridgeman » Sat Aug 07, 2021 6:54 pm

The 10-12th September 4NCL Congress at Leamington Spa is likely retaining the half point bye choice for the players facing non-mask players. It does seem like a smart idea, especially if we don't really know how much of a winter Covid rise we're all heading into.