Chess Covid regulations poll

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.

How should chess competitions draft their rules for concerns about covid?

Poll ended at Fri Jul 16, 2021 8:32 am

1. Meet all concerns of those worried about virus transmission
11%
2. Bias towards those who are concerned about virus transmission, even if some of those concerned about personal freedom drop out
42%
3. Maximise participation
31%
4. Bias towards those who are concerned about personal freedom, even if some of those concerned about virus transmission drop out
11%
5. Meet all concerns of those worried about personal freedom
6%

Total votes: 36

Gary Cook

Re: Chess Covid regulations poll

Post by Gary Cook » Sat Jul 17, 2021 6:08 pm

Gary Cook wrote:
Sat Jul 17, 2021 6:05 pm
Matt
Check the Danish study. Realism suggests that good ventilation is key. Overcrowding will always trump poor quality masks. Asymptomatic makes little difference. Social distancing and not touching your face is of greater value. There is evidence that Covid can transmit via the conjunctivae. Goggles and side wrap glasses do not get recommended.
It is interesting that the study involving hair stylists does not mention if the stylists were using post lockdown protocol I.e standing at the side and back of the client, this was certainly the case in Trumper when I visited.
https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/do- ... -covid-19-

Angus French

Post by Angus French » Sat Jul 17, 2021 6:12 pm

Gary Cook wrote:
Sat Jul 17, 2021 5:18 pm
Masks are as much use as a chocolate tea pot. Virus particles can only be contained by N95 standard masks. The average mask is rendered useless after ten minutes of breathing, respiratory function renders them useless. Surgeons wear them as spit catchers, a courtesy to their patients.
Your average man in the street thinks it is fine to maul a mask, pull it off and contaminate it quickly. Dirty unhygienic things unless used in the correct settings with the proper protocol.
Most users don’t know how to put them on correctly. They are not trained and face coverings are inadequate.
Several doctors I know when asked an opinion stated that masks are useless.
They are used as a behavioural device.
Unless you attend a game with several N95 or masks of equal standard, the statistics are insignificant.
Did you read the Trisha Greenhalgh Twitter thread I linked to? It's very recent and was written after a review of the latest science papers. Its findings are backed up with references to papers. It covers what types of mask are effective (not only N95 masks) and arguments made against masking (e.g. the claim that masks get dirty and carry a risk of self-infection). If you know better then please quote your sources.

J T Melsom

Post by J T Melsom » Sat Jul 17, 2021 6:15 pm

Has anybody who is citing the Danish study actually read it rather than a journalist's spun summary? Gary has linked to the Spectator not a science journal or the paper itself. It is one thing to say masks are less effective than originally thought, and other measures may be more important, quite another to say masks are useless. As well as being wary of those who selectively present the science, there is the problem that scientific work may not be expressed in terms that are immediately accessible to the lay person, being in many instances rather more nuanced.

Gary Cook

Post by Gary Cook » Sat Jul 17, 2021 6:18 pm

From looking at the general public at least 50% of the population have no idea how to wear or handle a mask. All the studies relate the wearing them correctly 100% of the time.
Quite a percentage of people seem to have no idea that their nose is connected to their throat, a very large percentage manhandle their mask, moving it from their chin to the face throughout the day.

Considering the atrocious mask hygiene how could they possibly be effective?

Angus French

Post by Angus French » Sat Jul 17, 2021 6:18 pm

Gary Cook wrote:
Sat Jul 17, 2021 6:08 pm
Gary Cook wrote:
Sat Jul 17, 2021 6:05 pm
Matt
Check the Danish study. Realism suggests that good ventilation is key. Overcrowding will always trump poor quality masks. Asymptomatic makes little difference. Social distancing and not touching your face is of greater value. There is evidence that Covid can transmit via the conjunctivae. Goggles and side wrap glasses do not get recommended.
It is interesting that the study involving hair stylists does not mention if the stylists were using post lockdown protocol I.e standing at the side and back of the client, this was certainly the case in Trumper when I visited.
https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/do- ... -covid-19-
And here's Trisha Greenhalgh's response to that study - it's in the Twitter thread I referenced (did you read it?): https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/eig ... mask-study and from https://twitter.com/trishgreenhalgh/sta ... 8066564098 onwards.

Gary Cook

Post by Gary Cook » Sat Jul 17, 2021 7:03 pm

So basically unless everyone who goes on the crowded tube wear good quality masks then it’s a Covid minefield.

Matt Bridgeman

Post by Matt Bridgeman » Sat Jul 17, 2021 7:22 pm

Gary Cook wrote:
Sat Jul 17, 2021 7:03 pm
So basically unless everyone who goes on the crowded tube wear good quality masks then it’s a Covid minefield.
Well I guess if you're not that bothered about catching Covid don't wear a mask. I'd guess the estimates for England will be something like 1 in 60 people could have it come this Friday. The new Health Secretary prepared us for the 50,000 cases by Freedom Day, which we've comfortably passed now. But he would only go as far as 100,000 cases a day for vaguely later in the Summer. Surely that's just 7-9 days away, and then we go a lot higher?
Last edited by Matt Bridgeman on Sat Jul 17, 2021 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Sat Jul 17, 2021 7:25 pm

Well, he's got it himself now
Any postings on here represent my personal views

Matt Bridgeman

Post by Matt Bridgeman » Sat Jul 17, 2021 7:31 pm

Isn't the test and trace system expected to break down at 100,000 cases a day? There's going to be so much Covid in a week's time they'll be struggling to keep up the count.

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Sat Jul 17, 2021 7:42 pm

"Isn't the test and trace system expected to break down at 100,000 cases a day? There's going to be so much Covid in a week's time they'll be struggling to keep up the count."

Yes to both. I think test and trace wasn't working anyway - NHS should have run it.

As to masks, yes, they're some help - but I see people wearing them more as a "beard-warmer" than a mouth and nose cover. A family member took to wearing a proper mask (due to his former scientific work) as well as gloves, and reported people stood in the way and still tried to push past him in supermarkets, as he growled at them through the mask.

Gary Cook

Post by Gary Cook » Sat Jul 17, 2021 8:29 pm

Matt Bridgeman wrote:
Sat Jul 17, 2021 7:31 pm
Isn't the test and trace system expected to break down at 100,000 cases a day? There's going to be so much Covid in a week's time they'll be struggling to keep up the count.
Effectively the Test and Trace system will put us back in lockdown

Gary Cook

Post by Gary Cook » Sat Jul 17, 2021 9:00 pm

Matt Bridgeman wrote:
Sat Jul 17, 2021 7:22 pm
Gary Cook wrote:
Sat Jul 17, 2021 7:03 pm
Well I guess if you're not that bothered about catching Covid don't wear a mask.
But I thought wearing a mask was supposed to be about other people and not about yourself - needs of the many outweighing the needs of the few.

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Sat Jul 17, 2021 9:18 pm

Yes - the mask is supposed to protect others, if someone spits or sneezes on you, the mask could be penetrated, or it could run down your face.

A reminder, make sure you pinch the nose bit of the mask to ensure a tight fit - there should be a light metal bit there.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Sat Jul 17, 2021 9:44 pm

Matt Bridgeman wrote:
Sat Jul 17, 2021 7:22 pm
Well I guess if you're not that bothered about catching Covid don't wear a mask.
Works for me. I realise that the probability of a healthy Pfizer vaccinated person dying from Covid is not zero, but it is less than the probability of dying from various other things ( if you're young, possibly including the vaccines themselves ). I also realise that those blue paper masks everyone is wearing with big gaps around the nose and chin are completely useless. As for the home made fashion statements, don't get me started.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Simon Rogers

Post by Simon Rogers » Sat Jul 17, 2021 10:47 pm

Mick Norris wrote:
Sat Jul 17, 2021 7:25 pm
Well, he's got it himself now
Apparently Sajid Javid has now confirmed that his PCR test has come back as positive for Covid. He was in close contact with Boris at 10 Downing Street amongst others yesterday. Interesting to see whether the Prime Minister has to self isolate now.