Chess Covid regulations poll

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.

How should chess competitions draft their rules for concerns about covid?

Poll ended at Fri Jul 16, 2021 8:32 am

1. Meet all concerns of those worried about virus transmission
11%
2. Bias towards those who are concerned about virus transmission, even if some of those concerned about personal freedom drop out
42%
3. Maximise participation
31%
4. Bias towards those who are concerned about personal freedom, even if some of those concerned about virus transmission drop out
11%
5. Meet all concerns of those worried about personal freedom
6%

Total votes: 36

Jacques Parry

Re: Chess Covid regulations poll

Post by Jacques Parry » Sun Aug 08, 2021 1:12 pm

At what point will players know whether their opponent is a mask wearer? Will there be a list, or will they have to wait until the round starts? I'm not sure whether the entry form, where it says "Wearing a face mask", followed by a tick box and "I have read the above statement", is intended to ask whether the entrant will be wearing a mask.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Sun Aug 08, 2021 1:33 pm

Jacques Parry wrote:
Sun Aug 08, 2021 1:02 pm
Or rather, since it would be naive to suppose that the guidance will be clear on this point, "if, in the opinion of the organisers (which is final), HM Government guidance at the time of the congress is that face masks should be worn in conditions such as those in the playing area".
That version works for me.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Ian Thompson

Post by Ian Thompson » Sun Aug 08, 2021 1:40 pm

Jacques Parry wrote:
Sun Aug 08, 2021 1:12 pm
I'm not sure whether the entry form, where it says "Wearing a face mask", followed by a tick box and "I have read the above statement", is intended to ask whether the entrant will be wearing a mask.
As ticking the box is marked as mandatory, I think we can assume it means "I [confirm] I have read the above statement". If not, it would mean entries are only being accepted by mask wearers, which would make the statement on non-mask wearing irrelevant.

It could certainly have been better worded because I had exactly the same thought as you did when I first read it.

Jacques Parry

Post by Jacques Parry » Sun Aug 08, 2021 1:51 pm

Ian Thompson wrote:
Sun Aug 08, 2021 1:40 pm
Jacques Parry wrote:
Sun Aug 08, 2021 1:12 pm
I'm not sure whether the entry form, where it says "Wearing a face mask", followed by a tick box and "I have read the above statement", is intended to ask whether the entrant will be wearing a mask.
As ticking the box is marked as mandatory, I think we can assume it means "I [confirm] I have read the above statement". If not, it would mean entries are only being accepted by mask wearers, which would make the statement on non-mask wearing irrelevant.
Yes, sorry: I hadn't noticed that ticking the box is mandatory. So even the organisers won't know, before each round, who plans to wear a mask and who doesn't?

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Sun Aug 08, 2021 1:53 pm

Ian Thompson wrote:
Sun Aug 08, 2021 1:40 pm
It could certainly have been better worded because I had exactly the same thought as you did when I first read it.
in the earlier Congress, mask wearing was obligatory because Government restrictions were still in place, but there was wording to permit a half point bye opt out from playing anyone claiming a medical exemption. I'm not aware if any were awarded.

If the rule is still there when the Congress starts, players could show up not wearing a mask. That challenges the opponent to offer a half point bye if they wanted to insist on mask wearing. Would it be possible to decline the draw by putting on a mask? It reminds me a little of the gamesmanship still possible(?) in some leagues where before the start of the game you offer the opponent two from a choice of adjournment, adjudication or finish on the night.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Sun Aug 08, 2021 2:18 pm

Roger de Coverly wrote:
Sun Aug 08, 2021 1:53 pm
It reminds me a little of the gamesmanship still possible(?) in some leagues where before the start of the game you offer the ont two from a choice of adjournment, adjudication or finish on the night.
Yes, this concept is still alive and kicking. For those who are interested, the game theory works as follows.

Suppose you the home player and your preference is 1>2>3. You are confident that your opponent's preference is 2>1>3.

If you make the obvious offer of 1&2, your opponent will choose 2 and get a format they like better than you do. If you cunningly offer 1&3, then they will take 1, resulting in a format you like better than they do. The danger is that they will scupper you by taking 3, the one you both loathe equally.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Jacques Parry

Post by Jacques Parry » Sun Aug 08, 2021 2:38 pm

Suppose I would normally wear a mask but I happen to know that my opponent, a much stronger player, will decline to play someone who is not wearing a mask. If I don't wear one for this game, I "win" half a point instead of the expected zero.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Sun Aug 08, 2021 3:24 pm

Jacques Parry wrote:
Sun Aug 08, 2021 2:38 pm
Suppose I would normally wear a mask but I happen to know that my opponent, a much stronger player, will decline to play someone who is not wearing a mask. If I don't wear one for this game, I "win" half a point instead of the expected zero.
This is an entertaining discussion, but can somebody please promise me that it is for amusement only? Some of us just want to play chess.

Tim Spanton

Post by Tim Spanton » Sun Aug 08, 2021 3:46 pm

Aren't "all" restrictions ending on Aug 16?

Eric Gardiner

Post by Eric Gardiner » Sun Aug 08, 2021 3:47 pm

Jacques Parry wrote:
A similar thought had occurred to me: you could claim an easy half point if paired against a much stronger opponent not wearing a mask. (No I wouldn't do this!) It follows that those aiming for one of the top places of their section should always wear a mask to avoid dropping half a point before the game has started.

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Sun Aug 08, 2021 3:55 pm

Not intending to be awkward, but... Suppose you wear a mask at the start of the game so the opponent has no excuse to claim an unearned half point, then rip off the mask, preferably in a flamboyant way, after one move? If the opponent then complains, you get the whole point surely?

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Sun Aug 08, 2021 3:57 pm

Tim Spanton wrote:
Sun Aug 08, 2021 3:46 pm
Tim, I think you have been spending too much time abroad. As I have been saying since April 2020 ( remember three weeks to squash the sombrero? ), they have no intention of ever letting us out.

Jacques Parry

Post by Jacques Parry » Sun Aug 08, 2021 3:59 pm

Kevin Thurlow wrote:
Sun Aug 08, 2021 3:55 pm
Not intending to be awkward, but... Suppose you wear a mask at the start of the game so the opponent has no excuse to claim an unearned half point, then rip off the mask, preferably in a flamboyant way, after one move? If the opponent then complains, you get the whole point surely?
I was thinking the same thing. Surely you need a rule that anyone wearing a mask at the start of a game must wear it for the whole game. But I don't know how the arbiters would keep track of who was wearing one when the round started. Whizz round taking photos, perhaps?

Jacques Parry

Post by Jacques Parry » Sun Aug 08, 2021 4:01 pm

Tim Spanton wrote:
Sun Aug 08, 2021 3:46 pm
As previously discussed, the end of the Covid regulations does not mean that organisers need not fear repercussions if their precautions are deemed inadequate.

Simon Rogers

Post by Simon Rogers » Sun Aug 08, 2021 4:02 pm

NickFaulks wrote:
Sun Aug 08, 2021 3:24 pm
Jacques Parry wrote:
This is an entertaining discussion, but can somebody please promise me that it is for amusement only? Some of us just want to play chess.
Don't worry Nick, I've found plenty of OTB chess events taking place around the country.
Sorry all for not posting the information recently. I have been working a lot of hours. Also one of my goddaughters has come down with Covid and is not well.
Not looking great in the Blackpool area.
Last time I heard there was 478 cases per 100000. Sixth worst in the country. All the chess clubs in this area are still shut.
I will start in the bottom category with Pedants United and work up.
Last edited by Simon Rogers on Sun Aug 08, 2021 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.