Karjakin loses his record

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
MJMcCready

Karjakin loses his record

Post by MJMcCready » Thu Jul 01, 2021 1:02 am

A well-reported account of the world's youngest GM can be found in the link. Scary stuff indeed.

https://www.espn.com/chess/story/_/id/3 ... ss-history

Paul Cooksey

Re: Karjakin loses his record

Post by Paul Cooksey » Thu Jul 01, 2021 6:52 am

Peter Doggers with his usual good article: https://www.chess.com/news/view/abhiman ... ss-history

MJMcCready

Post by MJMcCready » Thu Jul 01, 2021 11:43 am

Thanks. I suppose the big question is where does he go from here? How far up the ladder will he go before he reaches the point where he can go no further?

jholyhead

Post by jholyhead » Thu Jul 01, 2021 1:04 pm

Everyone who has broken that record has gone on to become a Super GM (or the equivalent). A few went on to win world championships, and a few others played matches for the world championships. Future looks bright.

Wadih Khoury

Post by Wadih Khoury » Thu Jul 01, 2021 1:47 pm

Some really hellish training. I wonder whether he still enjoys it, or like an Agasi hates his sport?

There is an article that allegedly talks about him and states some scary stuff: https://www.chesstech.org/2021/protect-our-prodigies/
He went to school only three days a week to have more time to study chess. He studied chess seven or eight hours every day. All his holidays are spent at tournaments. By the age of eleven he has been taken out of school. He has stopped to do sports. On some days he walks for an hour, on others his body hardly moves. Now he studies chess for twelve to thirteen hours every day. He gets the odd day off chess when a tournament is over. But often his next tournament is starting on the very next day.

His bedtime depends on the hours of his next game. He has to wear a mask during training so that he is used to wearing it when he competes. He has learned not to show his emotions. He hardly smiles or speaks to other players. He hardly speaks to anyone but his dad and his coaches. He sees his mum and sister only during daily video calls. Video calls with friends are much more rare.

Leonard Barden

Post by Leonard Barden » Thu Jul 01, 2021 5:51 pm

Wadih Khoury and others interested are invited to read today's just published Guardian article https://www.theguardian.com/sport/chess and judge for themselves whether Abhi's interview with David Howell and Jovanka Houska is consistent with Loeffler's hatchet job.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Thu Jul 01, 2021 6:37 pm

I wonder what Stefan would have said about the Polgars.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

MJMcCready

Post by MJMcCready » Thu Jul 01, 2021 7:05 pm

jholyhead wrote:
Thu Jul 01, 2021 1:04 pm
Everyone who has broken that record has gone on to become a Super GM (or the equivalent). A few went on to win world championships, and a few others played matches for the world championships. Future looks bright.
Yes it looks promising but at some point he will plateau, as to when we'll have to wait and see, probably not anytime soon.

Wadih Khoury

Post by Wadih Khoury » Thu Jul 01, 2021 7:31 pm

Leonard Barden wrote:
Thu Jul 01, 2021 5:51 pm
Wadih Khoury and others interested are invited to read today's just published Guardian article https://www.theguardian.com/sport/chess and judge for themselves whether Abhi's interview with David Howell and Jovanka Houska is consistent with Loeffler's hatchet job.
Thank you Leonard for the link and the counterpoint. The video does show him to be quite relaxed and smiling which is nice to see.

MJMcCready

Post by MJMcCready » Thu Jul 01, 2021 7:37 pm

I think a lot of eyes will be on him at the world cup. Will be interesting to see how he fairs.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Thu Jul 01, 2021 8:43 pm

Now the GM title appears to be nailed down, I hope to see him taking his chances in big Swisses like Silver Lake, which has just finished down the road from where he is. More astonishing results from young Indian players.

https://chess-results.com/tnr555017.asp ... ES&flag=30
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Paul Cooksey

Post by Paul Cooksey » Thu Jul 01, 2021 8:53 pm

It feels a bit churlish saying anything other than well done. But it is interesting to speculate on how much further he can go.

My theory is that good coaching gets players to their peak rating quicker, but I am not sure how much it raises their ceiling.

MJMcCready

Post by MJMcCready » Thu Jul 01, 2021 9:24 pm

Look at Wei Yi, he went like a greyhound up until 2700, and years on he's still stuck at 2725. Much of it depends on his coaching, surely.

For those interested, they interviewed our youngest GM in the AsianGold Rapid today. David Howell seemed rather impressive by his Carlsen-like play to attain the norm.

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Fri Jul 02, 2021 11:55 pm

Paul Cooksey wrote:
Thu Jul 01, 2021 8:53 pm
My theory is that good coaching gets players to their peak rating quicker, but I am not sure how much it raises their ceiling.
A while back the general view of this Forum was that coaching from Kasparov had raised Carlsen's ceiling.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1114
Last edited by David Sedgwick on Sat Jul 03, 2021 12:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

MJMcCready

Post by MJMcCready » Sat Jul 03, 2021 12:01 am

Well it did draw a lot of complaints from Nakamura when Carlsen started beating people with the KID, which he hadn't been playing before.