Rules that you misunderstood when learning (or were a kid)

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
MJMcCready

Re: Rules that you misunderstood when learning (or were a kid)

Post by MJMcCready » Fri Jun 04, 2021 12:56 pm

Yes agree. In addition, Korchnoi once asked an arbiter if he could castle whilst his rook is attacked.

DavidGostelow

Post by DavidGostelow » Fri Jun 04, 2021 2:01 pm

After as a child playing draughts against my father we decided to learn chess, we purchased a know the game book. We interpreted a diagram completely wrongly and we thought a pawn could only take another pawn if its way directly forward was blocked

Kevin O'Rourke

Post by Kevin O'Rourke » Fri Jun 04, 2021 2:05 pm

There was an article from the woke nutters saying something about it's unfair that White always goes first in chess and it should be changed. Don't suppose anyone pointed out that the players take turns to be White. :-)

IM Jack Rudd

Post by IM Jack Rudd » Fri Jun 04, 2021 2:08 pm

Citation needed, I think. I'm reasonably familiar with the current state of leftist discourse, and this is not an issue that comes up at all.

Kevin O'Rourke

Post by Kevin O'Rourke » Fri Jun 04, 2021 2:14 pm

IM Jack Rudd wrote:
Fri Jun 04, 2021 2:08 pm
Citation needed, I think. I'm reasonably familiar with the current state of leftist discourse, and this is not an issue that comes up at all.
https://www.jpost.com/international/top ... ist-632604

i thought i had dreamt it but sadly is true.
face palm

Geoff Chandler

Post by Geoff Chandler » Fri Jun 04, 2021 2:16 pm

[/quote]
Stewart Reuben wrote:
Fri Jun 04, 2021 9:10 am
Surely the most common problem is lack of understanding of the EN PASSANT rule.
Never capture en passant against a stranger in a pub game. Just don't do it. (trust me on this.)
Kevin O'Rourke wrote:
Fri Jun 04, 2021 12:07 pm

you are allowed to give check as you castle.
As you will no doubt know but have missed out: You can castle and give checkmate.
This usually happens occurs after a King hunt with the hunted King being chases to your first rank.
Cannot recall ever seeing an OTB game with white playing 0-0 mate with the Black king of f7 or f8.
(though having typed that something is telling me....'yes you have.' )

Harry Duff

Post by Harry Duff » Fri Jun 04, 2021 2:19 pm

(More on why white goes first).

I can vaguely remember this coming up fairly recently. So I did a quick google search and I found this article:

https://theconversation.com/why-does-wh ... ess-141962

Kevin O'Rourke

Post by Kevin O'Rourke » Fri Jun 04, 2021 2:24 pm

Geoff Chandler wrote:
Fri Jun 04, 2021 2:16 pm
Stewart Reuben wrote:
Surely the most common problem is lack of understanding of the EN PASSANT rule.
Never capture en passant against a stranger in a pub game. Just don't do it. (trust me on this.)
Kevin O'Rourke wrote:

you are allowed to give check as you castle.
As you will no doubt know but have missed out: You can castle and give checkmate.
This usually happens occurs after a King hunt with the hunted King being chases to your first rank.
Cannot recall ever seeing an OTB game with white playing 0-0 mate with the Black king of f7 or f8.
(though having typed that something is telling me....'yes you have.' )
[/quote]

I wasn't talking about MATE i was just meaning normal check. 0-0-0+ is quite common if Queens have just been exchanged by QXQ

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Fri Jun 04, 2021 2:30 pm

Harry Duff wrote:
Fri Jun 04, 2021 2:19 pm
I can vaguely remember this coming up fairly recently.
What you could do if they ever completely take over is to place the board the wrong way round. That way the square on the first player's far right is darker coloured, being the opposite colour to the King of the first player to move and the same colour as the Queen. Although with some pressure group wanting to abolish the term "mother" you wonder whether Kings and Queens have to go as well.

IM Jack Rudd

Post by IM Jack Rudd » Fri Jun 04, 2021 2:44 pm

Kevin O'Rourke wrote:
Fri Jun 04, 2021 2:14 pm
IM Jack Rudd wrote:
Fri Jun 04, 2021 2:08 pm
https://www.jpost.com/international/top ... ist-632604

i thought i had dreamt it but sadly is true.
face palm
Yes, that's pretty much what I expected - all second-order stuff, people speculating on what the "woke" might say, rather than actual discourse from the relevant people.

(Genuine woke chess discourse is more concerned with things like the demographics of chess players, and the sources of money in the chess world.)

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Fri Jun 04, 2021 2:44 pm

"There was an article from the woke nutters saying something about it's unfair that White always goes first in chess and it should be changed. Don't suppose anyone pointed out that the players take turns to be White. :-)"

I was asked about this at a school where I was doing some coaching, pointed out (as you said above) that as you take turns to move first, it didn't matter, and that black moves first in draughts, and nobody ever worries about that. The person who asked accepted that happily.

Paul Habershon

Post by Paul Habershon » Fri Jun 04, 2021 2:57 pm

Stewart Reuben wrote:
Surely the most common problem is lack of understanding of the EN PASSANT rule. I certainly never teach it to beginners and often come across players who may have been playing for a year without having encountered it.
I did my BCF(sic) Regional Coach's course under Bob Wade who advocated teaching beginners the 'pawn game' first. All pawns on second rank as usual, first to get a pawn to the eighth rank wins. Thus 'en passant' is an important concept and can be taught as soon as it crops up.

Paul Habershon

Post by Paul Habershon » Fri Jun 04, 2021 3:01 pm

Andy Stoker wrote:
Thu Jun 03, 2021 3:35 pm
Ah - knights going backwards - I remember a "Chess Treasury of the Air" talk dealing with (humorously) the ideas that knights *had* to go forwards (eg sacrificing themselves on f7, h7 etc - )
Yes, that was by Eileen Tranmer.

Matt Mackenzie

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Fri Jun 04, 2021 3:21 pm

I think the kids chess book The Adventures Of Dan The Pawn (?) has been mentioned on here before. The reported response to its publication by an anonymous teaching union official was "it would have been more symbolically exciting if the black pieces had been allowed to win".

(and of course this was getting on for 40 years ago, long before the word "woke" had even been devised)
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)

Geoff Chandler

Post by Geoff Chandler » Fri Jun 04, 2021 4:02 pm

Kevin O'Rourke wrote:

I wasn't talking about MATE i was just meaning normal check. 0-0-0+ is quite common if Queens have just been exchanged by QXQ
I figured that, just thought I'd mention it as castles checkmate is a rarity.

White playing 0-0-0+ and then picking up a Black Rook on b2 is a known trick.

I've never seen it repeated with 0-0. (there I suppose an unprotected Rook on h2 would just get taken by the White h1 Rook.)