Self Published Books

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Simon Brown

Re: Self Published Books

Post by Simon Brown » Thu Jul 01, 2021 4:34 pm

Hi Andy, looks like you have one of our games - one I don't recall! Anyway I've ordered a copy and looking forward to the bits about the Lewisham/Charlton rivalry, which I do remember very well! Simon

Andrew Smith

Post by Andrew Smith » Thu Jul 01, 2021 9:42 pm

Hi Simon,
Thanks for your support in ordering a copy of the book. I think we had several tight encounters, littered with time scrambles, when Hayes (Kent) played Lewisham. You had a formidable team of juniors including Danny King, Andrew King, Peter Taylor ( game in book against him and Danny), your brother Jaime, Andy Mack amongst others (Alexis ?). They were good times.
Andy

Geoff Chandler

Post by Geoff Chandler » Thu Jul 01, 2021 10:39 pm

Hi Andrew,

I like 'Crashes Off Hotbed' by Roland and am waiting on him to PM where to send the book.
(Last time I did one of these at Red Hot Pawn I had to send a book to Vietnam. :shock: )

Good Luck with the book.

Andrew Smith

Post by Andrew Smith » Sat Jul 03, 2021 1:35 pm

Hi Geoff,
Good choice - I like that as well. Thanks for taking the interest and I hope for your sake, Roland resides somewhere less expensive to post to, than Vietnam! I have just posted one of my books to Australia where the postage was £31.00 and 2 days ago, one to Canada which cost £25.65! A little more than we expected ! Regards Andrew

Roland Kensdale

Post by Roland Kensdale » Sat Jul 03, 2021 7:15 pm

Andrew Smith wrote:
Sat Jul 03, 2021 1:35 pm
Good choice - I like that as well.
Andrew
Thank you for your comments. I hope you have good sales.

Oh dab chess effort

was the only anagram relevant to your book.

AndyMack

Post by AndyMack » Wed Aug 11, 2021 3:05 pm

Hi Andy, I've just finished reading your book. What a fab piece of writing! As someone who also played a lot in the 1980s, 90s and early years of this century, it brought back so many memories. What a great era for chess, with so many interesting and wacky characters. We lived in a much more innocent age, and I think in some ways a happier one - the days when you could feel that you had played a good game, and didn't have the computer to tell you where you'd gone wrong. Being a Kent man, I particularly enjoyed the stories re the Kent league rivalries, as well as the anecdotes about post game activities. Credit to you, there are some amazing games in there too. I'd always appreciated you were an innovative player, but some of the ideas (especially the rook lifts up the a or h file) blew my mind. The book is beautifully finished, and now has a valued place in my chess library. I thoroughly recommend this to anyone who enjoys a good story or two, as well as some super sharp tactical games. Andy