Self Published Books

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Andrew Smith

Self Published Books

Post by Andrew Smith » Thu Apr 22, 2021 3:18 pm

Hi Everyone,
I have just self published a book called 'Off The Board Chess' which is a collection of the stories behind 153 of my games, most of which are lightly annotated. The book has good quality paper, Hardback cover, A4 size paper, coloured photographs, coloured diagrams on most pages, and in all there are 413 pages, so its quite hefty! I only have a couple now, but will receive more next week to send out. If you would like to know more, my email address is [email protected]. If you have ever played me, maybe one of the games is against you. Its a bit different from other chess books. I think the printers have done a great job - I think its high quality ( not withstanding the content!)

Brendan O'Gorman

Re: Self Published Books

Post by Brendan O'Gorman » Thu Apr 22, 2021 3:49 pm

Hi Andrew,
I've enjoyed hearing some of your stories in the past, so the book sounds interesting. If you haven't already, perhaps John Upham could be persuaded to review it. Getting Chess & Bridge to stock a few copies would be helpful so that those of us in the London area could peruse the book before buying it. By the way, how much is it?

Andrew Smith

Post by Andrew Smith » Thu Apr 22, 2021 11:19 pm

Hi Brendan,
Thank you for your interest and advice. I will ask John Upham as you suggest and also Chess and Bridge. The price for this hardback book is £19.95 + postage costs where relevant.

LawrenceCooper

Post by LawrenceCooper » Fri Apr 23, 2021 8:42 pm

Andrew Smith wrote:
Thu Apr 22, 2021 3:18 pm
Hi Everyone,
I have just self published a book called 'Off The Board Chess' which is a collection of the stories behind 153 of my games, most of which are lightly annotated. The book has good quality paper, Hardback cover, A4 size paper, coloured photographs, coloured diagrams on most pages, and in all there are 413 pages, so its quite hefty! I only have a couple now, but will receive more next week to send out. If you would like to know more, my email address is [email protected]. If you have ever played me, maybe one of the games is against you. Its a bit different from other chess books. I think the printers have done a great job - I think its high quality ( not withstanding the content!)
I remember you managing a few scalps from my old Midland Monarchs team in the 1990s and at least one win against me in a British championship weekend qualifier.

Nick Grey

Post by Nick Grey » Fri Apr 23, 2021 10:04 pm

Hi Andrew, we played in 2019. I will e-mail you. I think buying a 'bit different from other chess books' is what my game needs. Best wishes.

Nick Ivell

Post by Nick Ivell » Sat Apr 24, 2021 9:56 am

I always found Andrew's games very interesting. A disparity of performance, greater than normal perhaps, between White and Black; but always attacking chess well worth watching.

Paul Cooksey

Post by Paul Cooksey » Sat Apr 24, 2021 9:58 am

I might have more losses to Andy than anyone else. I'll probably buy a copy as a precaution to take one out of general circulation.

Nick Ivell

Post by Nick Ivell » Sat Apr 24, 2021 10:03 am

Any prospective buyers will certainly find out a lot about the centre game.

(If that is what e4 e5; d4 is called.)

Nick Ivell

Post by Nick Ivell » Sat Apr 24, 2021 10:19 am

The late John Ripley once bought me a collection of Spassky's games. His dedication was: 'Perhaps, one day, the best games of Nicholas Ivell?'

It never came to pass.

This has got me thinking. Perhaps 'My 60 Memorable Games' needs downgrading to my level, my games.

But caveat emptor. Memorable does not mean good!

To be fair though, even Bobby's classic contains some pretty slight stuff.

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Sat Apr 24, 2021 10:23 am

"Perhaps 'My 60 Memorable Games' needs downgrading to my level, my games."

Why not? Everyone has a story to tell.

Nick Ivell

Post by Nick Ivell » Sat Apr 24, 2021 10:29 am

Yes. I agree with that, Kevin.

Interestingly enough, some of our best players don't appear to have a collection. I know Alexander has one. Keene too. But what about Penrose, Hartston, Mestel?

But perhaps I am derailing the discussion from Andrew's games, which as I have said, are interesting in their own right.

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Sat Apr 24, 2021 10:59 am

I'm guessing though that with most of us, fragments of games might be more interesting than the whole of them.
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

Nick Ivell

Post by Nick Ivell » Sat Apr 24, 2021 11:20 am

Agreed, but I never like fragments much. I was delighted to see Mickey annotating a whole game in the Telegraph today; too often he is constrained into giving fragments.

I always want to know the whole story, even if the main point of interest is the endgame.

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Sat Apr 24, 2021 11:28 am

In principle yes, but I think the whole story may be more compelling if it's, say, Botvinnik v Fischer at the Olympiad rather than Horton v Ivell at the Ambridge Open.
"Do you play chess?"

lostontime.blogspot.com

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Sat Apr 24, 2021 11:30 am

(I'm not saying you can't have a dramatic, exciting and instructive game between two plodders: of course you can. But still.)
"Do you play chess?"

lostontime.blogspot.com