Takeback requests in online games

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Alistair Campbell

Re: Takeback requests in online games

Post by Alistair Campbell » Mon Apr 19, 2021 11:01 pm

It can be awkward. In general I never accede to takeback requests (I play mainly graded blitz and bullet). In games at my club-night I might be more amenable (and have tried "passing" e.g. if 1.e3 is accidentally played I might play 1...c6 tacitly offering 2.e4 c5) but generally there people accept that if a slip happens, it's tough luck.

Tonight I was playing when my (unknown to me) opponent played ...Bh3 (attacking my Rf1). He proposed a takeback which alerted me to the move Ng5xh3 winning a piece, which I played. I then got a series of messages saying it was a mouse-slip, he intended Bg4, did I really want to win that way and so on. Maybe it was a slip. Maybe it was a mistake.

After some thought, I offered a draw, which was ignored. I then blundered the piece back. I won in the end, but it left a sour taste.

I declined a rematch, which is a whole different subject.

Kevin O'Rourke

Post by Kevin O'Rourke » Fri Apr 23, 2021 2:16 pm

Alistair Campbell wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 11:01 pm
It can be awkward. In general I never accede to takeback requests (I play mainly graded blitz and bullet). In games at my club-night I might be more amenable (and have tried "passing" e.g. if 1.e3 is accidentally played I might play 1...c6 tacitly offering 2.e4 c5) but generally there people accept that if a slip happens, it's tough luck.

Tonight I was playing when my (unknown to me) opponent played ...Bh3 (attacking my Rf1). He proposed a takeback which alerted me to the move Ng5xh3 winning a piece, which I played. I then got a series of messages saying it was a mouse-slip, he intended Bg4, did I really want to win that way and so on. Maybe it was a slip. Maybe it was a mistake.

After some thought, I offered a draw, which was ignored. I then blundered the piece back. I won in the end, but it left a sour taste.

I declined a rematch, which is a whole different subject.
you're naughty :-)

Geoff Chandler

Post by Geoff Chandler » Fri Apr 23, 2021 5:46 pm

OOPS!..wrong thread - I'm taking a post back!