Hansen on Nakamura

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
MJMcCready

Re: Hansen on Nakamura

Post by MJMcCready » Sat Apr 10, 2021 5:57 pm

So the gist of this is that Nakamura sometimes resorts to underhanded tactics, and as a result he is not trusted?

John McKenna

Post by John McKenna » Sat Apr 10, 2021 6:05 pm

The trouble is - the USA and, to some extent, Canada are more egalitarian societies with less deference and more "attitude".

Some allowance should be made for that by Brits & Europeans.

Matt Mackenzie

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Sat Apr 10, 2021 6:45 pm

Hmmm, not sure about such sweeping generalisations myself.

(and some notorious previous "sharp practice" merchants have been European)
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)

Geoff Chandler

Post by Geoff Chandler » Sat Apr 10, 2021 7:28 pm

Hi MJM

It's not underhand tactics (and of course he is to be trusted) it's just he get a bit emotional,
especially when losing. Don't we all? This triples and surfaces during screened blitz games with chat.

The linked vid.
Do not watch it if you have ever lost a game though a blunder - all it will do us bring back sad memories,
as it will for anyone who has ever pushed a pawn. Like him or dislike him, you really feel for him here.

The title is awful (Funniest Reactions....)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0l0joEc3aW4

Did they really have to go in for a different angle to get the money shot.

Paul Cooksey

Post by Paul Cooksey » Sun Apr 11, 2021 9:58 am

Of course this wasn't really about Hikaru himself:
from Reddit wrote:Dear Global Chess Community,

Due to recent events involving concerns about Chessbae's position and actions within the chess streaming community, we have removed all Chess.com moderator and Twitch/Streamer powers from her accounts.

While we do wish to clarify that Chessbae has never been an employee of the Chess.com company, she has worked with us on behalf of streamers to coordinate and grow their channels through Chess.com. And while we appreciate the skills, passion, and commitment of Chessbae to grow chess and the streamers she works with, we recognize that her methods and communications have at times been problematic (and we feel this reached a head recently with her handling of the copyright strike against the ChessBrahs).

In the past we tried to diplomatically address the frustration some streamers have had from time to time because we also supported the streamers she was managing and saw the good she was doing for them. However, we recognize we let this go too far before creating more clear boundaries and removing her from our channels. We apologize to any fans, streamers, and community members who feel we did not manage these situations correctly.

Chessbae has been a supportive member of the chess streaming community for many years, and we hope she will continue to find productive and meaningful ways to promote chess content creators and streamers who continue to work with her. Chess.com is committed to growing the chess category across all channels, and hopes to contribute to a positive environment for all.

Sincerely,

Danny Rensch CCO - Chess.com

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Sun Apr 11, 2021 10:05 am

Oh, what's that about?
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

Paul Cooksey

Post by Paul Cooksey » Sun Apr 11, 2021 10:13 am

Well, in the stream you linked although Hansen does criticise Nakamura directly there is a lot more discussion of Nakamura's team and chessbae especially. She has donated very generously to many chess streamers in recent years, but seems to require a good deal of control over the streams in return. This has made her controversial in the past.

Copyright striking a video is really serious, youtubes 3 strikes rule means it puts the channel and the streamers income in jeopardy. The implication being that it was an attempt by Chessbae to limit what other streamers could say, and a much more serious escalation of hostilities than criticising the other streamer online, which is to some extent just content.

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Sun Apr 11, 2021 10:22 am

Thanks, but what I mean is, I don't know who chessbae is.
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

Paul Cooksey

Post by Paul Cooksey » Sun Apr 11, 2021 10:28 am

She is @chessbae94 on twitter, and largely anonymous which is in itself controversial. Hansen is one of the few people involved to have actually met her in person.

I have rather mixed feelings, since although I do watch a bit of chess streaming, I only know the background as gossip. I have no independent view on who is right or wrong and to what extent. I actually found some of the criticism of Chessbae by chess players in the past uncomfortable, in the context of online misogyny. But I think the chess.com response indicates she was widely seen to be in the wrong here.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Sun Apr 11, 2021 10:32 am

JustinHorton wrote:
Sun Apr 11, 2021 10:22 am
Thanks, but what I mean is, I don't know who chessbae is.
I gather from a brief search that the user name is chessbae94. As to her real name and position, if any, in the real world, that didn't become apparent. Seemingly an associate of Nakamura though and someone with power to remove content and ban individuals on various on line services.

Matt Bridgeman

Post by Matt Bridgeman » Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:49 pm

Here’s Daniel Naroditsky’s lengthy ramble on the general situation; https://docs.google.com/document/u/0/d/ ... obilebasic#

Also, just out of interest, there’s a list of the most heavily watched Twitch Chess Streamers in April 2021;
https://www.twitchmetrics.net/channels/ ... game=Chess

MJMcCready

Post by MJMcCready » Wed Apr 14, 2021 5:29 am

Geoff Chandler wrote:
Sat Apr 10, 2021 7:28 pm
Hi MJM

It's not underhand tactics (and of course he is to be trusted) it's just he get a bit emotional,
especially when losing. Don't we all? This triples and surfaces during screened blitz games with chat.

The linked vid.
Do not watch it if you have ever lost a game though a blunder - all it will do us bring back sad memories,
as it will for anyone who has ever pushed a pawn. Like him or dislike him, you really feel for him here.

The title is awful (Funniest Reactions....)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0l0joEc3aW4

Did they really have to go in for a different angle to get the money shot.
Hmmm, this does all seem a bit petty to me. I understand that there is a code of conduct in play, and perhaps, a more robust notion of professionalism than my own but can't they just get on with it and try not to make mountains out of mole hills?