New in Chess & BREXIT

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Matthew Turner

Re: New in Chess & BREXIT

Post by Matthew Turner » Tue Feb 02, 2021 11:25 am

JustinHorton wrote:
Mon Feb 01, 2021 9:37 am
That is not especially good news from an independent media point of view.
My predictions
1. The quality will be maintained
2. The price will go up
3. There will be increasing digitization
4. There will be an increasing audience for NIC outside of Europe

You can see what the PlayMagnus Group is trying to do and generally I think chess players should view the developments positively.

Mike Gunn

Post by Mike Gunn » Tue Feb 02, 2021 11:49 am

I still haven't received my "free" book 8 weeks after I took up the sub offer. I'm not (particularly) complaining, I guess this is just a sign of the times we live in and I have a few (well, hundreds) of books here that I have barely started ...

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Tue Feb 02, 2021 12:36 pm

Matthew Turner wrote:
Tue Feb 02, 2021 11:25 am
JustinHorton wrote:
My predictions
2. The price will go up

You can see what the PlayMagnus Group is trying to do and generally I think chess players should view the developments positively.
I think that we should apply the same standards to journalism in chess as we do to other journalism, and this means being aware that it is bad for independent journalism if media outlets are owned by the people they are writing about.
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

Tim Harding

Post by Tim Harding » Tue Feb 02, 2021 12:54 pm

JustinHorton wrote:
Tue Feb 02, 2021 12:36 pm
Matthew Turner wrote:
JustinHorton wrote:
My predictions
2. The price will go up

I think that we should apply the same standards to journalism in chess as we do to other journalism, and this means being aware that it is bad for independent journalism if media outlets are owned by the people they are writing about.
Precisely; I agree with Justin and disagree with Matthew's fourth point. (His other three may be right.)

What PlayMagnus is trying to do, presumably, is increase worldwide interest in chess but not for disinterested motives but because it wants to make money for Magnus and his backers.
In particular, to fortify his brand in advance of his loss of the world championship which probably won't happen this year (because the way the first half of the Candidates was very favourable to him), but may well happen in the next cycle.
Tim Harding
Historian and FIDE Arbiter

Author of 'Steinitz in London,' British Chess Literature to 1914', 'Joseph Henry Blackburne: A Chess Biography', and 'Eminent Victorian Chess Players'
http://www.chessmail.com

Matthew Turner

Post by Matthew Turner » Tue Feb 02, 2021 1:00 pm

Tim Harding wrote:
Tue Feb 02, 2021 12:54 pm
JustinHorton wrote:
Tue Feb 02, 2021 12:36 pm
Matthew Turner wrote:

My predictions
2. The price will go up

Precisely; I agree with Justin and disagree with Matthew's fourth point. (His other three may be right.)

What PlayMagnus is trying to do, presumably, is increase worldwide interest in chess but not for disinterested motives but because it wants to make money for Magnus and his backers.
In particular, to fortify his brand in advance of his loss of the world championship which probably won't happen this year (because the way the first half of the Candidates was very favourable to him), but may well happen in the next cycle.
I made four points and you disagree with me, but you think my first three point might be right and then make the fourth one yourself?

Tim Harding

Post by Tim Harding » Tue Feb 02, 2021 1:22 pm

I am not sure that there will be much difference to NiC's audience outside Europe which is probably quite big already.

What I mainly disagree with is your opinion that chess players should view the development positively.
I would much prefer chess magazines especially the important ones (like NiC) to stay independent.
Tim Harding
Historian and FIDE Arbiter

Author of 'Steinitz in London,' British Chess Literature to 1914', 'Joseph Henry Blackburne: A Chess Biography', and 'Eminent Victorian Chess Players'
http://www.chessmail.com

Matthew Turner

Post by Matthew Turner » Tue Feb 02, 2021 1:28 pm

Tim,
Independent print magazines will just go bankrupt, so it you want them to continue it will have to be as part of a broader group. That is the same in chess as it is for everything else.

Geoff Chandler

Post by Geoff Chandler » Tue Feb 02, 2021 2:14 pm

Carl! look out! We may have to start a 'Hands of the English Chess Forum' campaign.

The Play Magnus Group (PMG) are taking over the world.

PMG, which launched the Play Magnus suite of chess apps, has already brought chess24 and training site Chessable
into its stable and last year added the online coaching platform CoChess. Most recently it bought US-based iChess.net.

Carlsen, who has been a subscriber to New In Chess for more than 20 years, said:

Bringing New In Chess into the Group is a special moment to me as I have always looked forward to reviewing
the game notes of my fellow grandmasters and studying the historical gems published in New In Chess magazines.

He added: "I have known the team since early on in my career and am glad that Play Magnus Group will continue
the New In Chess legacy and inspire young players of the game for years to come.”

https://chess24.com/en/read/news/specia ... y#comments

"...am glad that Play Magnus Group will continue the New In Chess legacy "

Maybe as a previous suggested the current team are thinking of retiring. Jan is 70 this year.

Tim Spanton

Post by Tim Spanton » Tue Feb 02, 2021 3:39 pm

Geoff Chandler wrote:
Tue Feb 02, 2021 2:14 pm
Carl! look out! We may have to start a 'Hands of the English Chess Forum' campaign.

The Play Magnus Group (PMG) are taking over the world.

PMG, which launched the Play Magnus suite of chess apps, has already brought chess24 and training site Chessable
into its stable and last year added the online coaching platform CoChess. Most recently it bought US-based iChess.net.

Carlsen, who has been a subscriber to New In Chess for more than 20 years, said:

Bringing New In Chess into the Group is a special moment to me as I have always looked forward to reviewing
the game notes of my fellow grandmasters and studying the historical gems published in New In Chess magazines.

He added: "I have known the team since early on in my career and am glad that Play Magnus Group will continue
the New In Chess legacy and inspire young players of the game for years to come.”

https://chess24.com/en/read/news/specia ... y#comments

"...am glad that Play Magnus Group will continue the New In Chess legacy "

Maybe as a previous suggested the current team are thinking of retiring. Jan is 70 this year.
Don't worry - I will resist any PMG attempt to take over Beau Chess

Matthew Turner

Post by Matthew Turner » Tue Feb 02, 2021 3:43 pm

Sounds like posturing for a higher offer

Ian Thompson

Post by Ian Thompson » Sat Feb 06, 2021 2:15 am

DavidGostelow wrote:
Thu Jan 28, 2021 12:19 pm
I tried to buy a video from Chessbase and it said not available in your region , download only. I assume that is Brexit related.
They are now posting to the UK again and charging their ex-VAT prices. That applies to both downloads and posted items.

Presumably, for posted items, Royal Mail will pay the VAT when the order arrives in this country and will pass that cost on, plus their £8 admin fee.

For downloaded items, I don't know who'd be liable if HMRC found out and demanded payment from someone - Chessbase, because they should have accounted for it when the order was placed, or the buyer?

David Robertson

Post by David Robertson » Sun Feb 07, 2021 3:09 pm

NIC - Norway in Charge

James Byrne

Post by James Byrne » Sun Feb 07, 2021 9:21 pm

Last edited by James Byrne on Sun Jan 02, 2022 7:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mike Gunn

Post by Mike Gunn » Mon Feb 08, 2021 10:42 am

My 2nd copy of NIC (#1 of 2021) has just dropped through the letter box but still no sign of the "free" book.

Paul Robert Jackson

Post by Paul Robert Jackson » Mon Feb 08, 2021 11:05 am

Mike Gunn wrote:
Mon Feb 08, 2021 10:42 am
My 2nd copy of NIC (#1 of 2021) has just dropped through the letter box but still no sign of the "free" book.
The free book may be an electronic (eBook) version.
Paul Robert Jackson