New in Chess & BREXIT

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Chris Rice

Re: New in Chess & BREXIT

Post by Chris Rice » Mon Feb 08, 2021 8:07 pm

Press statement from New In Chess. Basically reads as everything staying the same, high standards of quality and delivery etc with a direct message that editorial independence will continue as before. I've always thought it was a high class chess magazine so I do hope the change of ownership doesn't cause any issues. However, it does raise some questions and you do wonder if the sales have really been as record breaking as they are claiming then why the need to sell at all? It doesn't really explain what PMG are adding to the mix, so is it just because it was Magnus? Does he intend to take over the entire chess world? I suspect the truth might be as basic as the magazine was struggling financially and Magnus, clearly a fan, decided to help them out.

"Dear Chess Friend,

Big news: we have been acquired by the Play Magnus Group, and from now on we will partner with other Group members like Chessable and Chess24.

Magnus Carlsen, World Chess Champion and a co-founder of the PM Group, has been a subscriber to New In Chess magazine for over 20 years.

Carlsen said (and I will not hide our delight in his words): 'Bringing New In Chess into the Group is a special moment to me, as I have always looked forward to enjoying the game notes of my fellow grandmasters and studying the historical gems published in New In Chess magazines. I have known the team since early on in my career and am glad that Play Magnus Group will continue the New In Chess legacy and inspire young players of the game for years to come.’

So there you have it. I am proud of the company we have built and I believe that becoming part of Play Magnus Group will help our magazine, books and Yearbook to reach more chess players around the world. The chess boom caused by the Netflix hit-series The Queen’s Gambit, has brought us record-breaking book sales in the past months. Our future within Play Magnus Group looks bright.

There is, by the way, no reason to worry that we will change our ways. New In Chess magazine will continue to enjoy full editorial independence, we will continue to publish great chess books, and the Yearbook will continue to cover opening news for advanced players, four times a year.

We are looking forward to being of service to you!

Best wishes,
Allard Hoogland
New In Chess"

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Mon Feb 08, 2021 8:30 pm

"New In Chess magazine will continue to enjoy full editorial independence"

This might or might not be true, but as a statement it means absolutely nothing.

By the way, normally at this time of year I get a lot of reminders about the need to renew my subscription, which always expires with issue #1 of the year. This year, not so much, which I wonder might mean there's bit of reorganisation going on that might interfere with their normal routines. (A fairly thin peg on which to hang a theory, I agree.)
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

Paul Robert Jackson

Post by Paul Robert Jackson » Thu Feb 18, 2021 9:14 am

www.bbc.co.uk/news/explainers-55841048
A simple explanation courtesy of the BBC.
Paul Robert Jackson

Ian Thompson

Post by Ian Thompson » Thu Feb 18, 2021 9:55 am

Paul Robert Jackson wrote:
Thu Feb 18, 2021 9:14 am
www.bbc.co.uk/news/explainers-55841048
A simple explanation courtesy of the BBC.
Except it's not clear on what happens if the seller doesn't follow the correct procedure. "But for anything under £135, the VAT should still automatically be part of the final price you pay at the online checkout." What if it wasn't?

I recently bought something from the EU that cost about £33 + £3 postage. The seller attached the CN22 customs form, and several copies of the invoice, to the outside of the package. The invoice stated they had charged 0% VAT. It was not a VAT exempt or zero-rated item.

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Thu Feb 18, 2021 11:58 am

"The invoice stated they had charged 0% VAT. It was not a VAT exempt or zero-rated item."

Some suppliers do that to be helpful to the customer - whether Customs would view it like that is another matter.

Ian Thompson

Post by Ian Thompson » Thu Feb 18, 2021 1:28 pm

Kevin Thurlow wrote:
Thu Feb 18, 2021 11:58 am
"The invoice stated they had charged 0% VAT. It was not a VAT exempt or zero-rated item."

Some suppliers do that to be helpful to the customer - whether Customs would view it like that is another matter.
If Royal Mail had wanted to collect the VAT that was due, plus their £8 admin charge, from me, before delivering the item, I would not have viewed that as helpful.

As it is, I'm happy to have paid about £7 less than I was expecting to.

Paul Robert Jackson

ChessBase & BREXIT

Post by Paul Robert Jackson » Sat Apr 17, 2021 9:14 am

I have recently purchased 2 items from ChessBase (both were Download items).
I got them VAT free.

Anybody else making savings?
Paul Robert Jackson